Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

What exactly does George Hamilton say after Niall Quinn’s goal v The Netherlands - sounds like “ Ireland could well be on the way to the World Cup Eg finals at West Germany in Milan next Sunday ?

Eighth Finals (1/8)

Strange way of describing the last 16

Edited by Trap junior - 16 May 2020 at 7:17pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

just watching the 3-0 highlights with the don givens hat trick. A bell can be heard in the crowd at Dalymount?hardly the same bell ringer that attends today ??

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.
Is the pats lad not a different bellringer to the Delaney fan tho?

Not sure who he supports played LoI for many years.  Home Farm keeper.  He is there to support the team and didn't want any negativity is my understanding.  I don't remember him being a fan of Delaney.  Others probably know him a lot better than me though.  
After being at one of those meetings with Delaney he is/was a pure Delaney yes man....That bell drives me madLOL
The funniest was when the Delaney chants were going at the Georgia game last March and he tried to start “stand up for the boys in green” which turned to “stand up for Delaney out”
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

What exactly does George Hamilton say after Niall Quinn’s goal v The Netherlands - sounds like “ Ireland could well be on the way to the World Cup Eg finals at West Germany in Milan next Sunday ?

Eighth Finals (1/8)

He still maintains Frank Stapleton scored the winner v Spain 1989 at home 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 8:01pm

Eighth Finals (1/8)

Michel OG.

Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 8:09pm

Eighth Finals (1/8)

Michel OG.

RTÉ over the years edited Hamilton’s commentary- live , he said Frank Stapleton scored and equalled the record . Went on about it for a while . Was obvious to everyone in the ground it was an O.G 
There are probably plenty more clangers , in fairness to him how many matches has he covered now , it would feel funny without him  . 

Edited by depechemode - 16 May 2020 at 8:12pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 8:36pm
I love Hamilton.  Great commentator.  Has a habit of jinxing things though.  Never like Jimmy Magee as a commentator for football.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 8:46pm
For Cascarino’s penalty, Hamilton says “it’s Cascarino against this fella”.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 9:04pm
I love the Italy match where they brought in a studio audience With a few z listers . Some women in the audience in relation to paul McGrath’s display starts saying I’m feeling so passionate and joe Kinnear shouts up in his cockney accent -what you doing tonight luv ? Bit surreal 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 9:19pm

I love the Italy match where they brought in a studio audience With a few z listers . Some women in the audience in relation to paul McGrath’s display starts saying I’m feeling so passionate and joe Kinnear shouts up in his cockney accent -what you doing tonight luv ? Bit surreal 

He 'laved' his crumpet did Joe LOL

Was watching the Charlton years recently and he was the only one out of the panel that got his prediction spot on. Giles and Stapleton went for the draw.  

As far as I remember Italy were clear favourites going into that match. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 10:05pm

Eighth Finals (1/8)

Michel OG.

RTÉ over the years edited Hamilton’s commentary- live , he said Frank Stapleton scored and equalled the record . Went on about it for a while . Was obvious to everyone in the ground it was an O.G 
There are probably plenty more clangers , in fairness to him how many matches has he covered now , it would feel funny without him  . 

shurr we could have Ryle Nugent or Ger Canning full time Dead
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

For Cascarino’s penalty, Hamilton says “it’s Cascarino against this fella”.

Was very apt that the keeper was Lung for ''a nation holds it breath''

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Eighth Finals (1/8)

Michel OG.

shurr we could have Ryle Nugent or Ger Canning full time Dead

Nugent is a good rugby commentator even though I'd rather scrape a plate with a fork than listen to his voice. 

I would take Canning over him any day when it comes to commentating on an Ireland game.  
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:06am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

just watching the 3-0 highlights with the don givens hat trick. A bell can be heard in the crowd at Dalymount?hardly the same bell ringer that attends today ??

Anyone ??
Yes. Pats/JD fan.
Is the pats lad not a different bellringer to the Delaney fan tho?

Not sure who he supports played LoI for many years.  Home Farm keeper.  He is there to support the team and didn't want any negativity is my understanding.  I don't remember him being a fan of Delaney.  Others probably know him a lot better than me though.  
After being at one of those meetings with Delaney he is/was a pure Delaney yes man....That bell drives me madLOL

He was but I think like a lot of those of the same vintage and in certain clubs they had a laissez faire attitude to Delaney and the harm he was doing to football because he was good to them and were blinded by it.. it was ill guided but some have different priorities and I think some close to Jimmy have done full circle on Delaney since last April..

Easy to look back and say we told you so but that’s not going to change anything. He was going to home matches 20 years before I was born and over 30 before Delaney started his regime of terror so will have a different outlook. 

Would I have agreed with it... NO and certainly not reaction in Aarhus and Chisinau to name two prime examples of the vociferous silencing of anti Delaney protests.

Will I hold it against him, definitely not - he travels the world supporting the team and am sure we’ll cross paths again. Good time to build bridges 

I think that meeting came about because 

1. He wanted to quash any protest at the Euro 2020 draw the previous week by putting this out there;

2. Delaney had wanted civil war between fans and thought his backers were in the majority - which wasn’t the case where there were smaller Away crowds as in Aarhus.. Let’s not prolong civil wars would be my take

A lot of questions need answered by Mr McGlue by the way. That doesn’t change 

Edited by Pipkin - 17 May 2020 at 12:12am
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:28am
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

From memory there was fook all Romanians at match. They were a poor country then and travel was expensive.
Most of the Irish fans had stayed on after group matches but some day trippers then as well.
Great city.

I do remember seeing one lad , he was all happy with himself as he had a Romanian flag with the centre bit cut out . 
Now did see an Irish lad the next day with the middle cut of of a Tri colour which was very funny at the time . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Half Time 0:0, few chances at either end, highlight was Aldo's tackle on Hagi unfortunately Aldo injured himself. Anyone remember if there was many Romanian fans at the game?

Aldo said in the documentary on the Charlton years a few weeks back that he was already injured. He then decided he might as well get booked and injure Hagi before he went off so he did that to him! Awful really but ok when it's one of your own! Aldo himself admitted he went too far and could have been sent off (even back then).
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 5:01pm
Italy v Rep of Ireland World Cup 1990
TG4 19:30 Tonight
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:12pm
Ireland defensively in that match were outstanding.  Paul McGrath obviously MoM but a shout out to Dennis Irwin and Roy Keane who were also excellent I thought.  Babb got a bit lucky with that penalty call mind, but even then Ireland had the better chances and could added a second.

Hard to watch the game and not think about Loughinisland which I believe happened at the start of the 2nd half.  RIP.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 22 May 2020 at 9:13pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:49pm
Was it the 94 game on tonight? I thought it was 90 QF match that was supposed to be on? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 23>
  Share Topic