You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 23>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 8:38pm
From memory FAI got fine for OPEL showing under Bonner jersey. It was no big deal though as Joe Delaney paid it out of some dodgy money :)
Sponsored Links

Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 8:52pm
Brilliant atmosphere.  Irish flags everywhere.

A lot of the Italia 90 games didn't have full capacity (including the West Germany v England semi) so this good to see.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 08 May 2020 at 8:53pm
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:01pm
that’s as good a performance that I’ve seen from an Irish Team and just makes you wonder of all the revisionism by certain Journalists and commentators on The football we played . 

Strange watching it totally sober as the drink ban was 24 hours from midnight the day before but the lunacy of the fiat workers chaining themselves to the railway lines making us just arrive at the game as gullit scored with 2 Italians in our seats affected my memories of the game.

Edited by gufct - 08 May 2020 at 9:02pm
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:02pm
So we were going to Genoa. No one had any idea how to get there. No internet or mobile phones so word went about that there a ferry from Palermo to Genoa. So off we went I think 8 hours on ferry.
Great days
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:03pm
22 hours by train with no drink or food on the train.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:06pm
YNWA?

Last 10 minutes aside its been a decent game.  Much better than the England game.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 08 May 2020 at 9:08pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:07pm
Must say I enjoyed that. Chris Morris was poor in the first half I thought, Houghton was immense and Aldridge unlucky with the disallowed goal. Rode our luck at times but hey off to Genoa was better than facing ze Germans in Milan.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The Labour party is, by and large a unionist party. This isn't the place for it, but the reason Corbyn stood out is that he isn't a unionist,  a monarchist or an imperialist.
It was never contradictory to be slightly left-leaning, which it was at best, and certainly isn't now, and unionist. 
And that's the institution as a whole. In NI the BBC has always seen itself as very establishment and very British: where else in the world would show sectarian parades on the news as a cultural celebration?
It would very much have been a surprise for them to show an Ireland match over an England match at that time.

It is an interesting argument. By that logic, RTE is Nationalist along with all Irish political parties including Fine Gael and the Greens (I know FG are generally ok with being described as constitutional nationalists and the Greens are probably internationalist or would wish to be described that way). You could substitute Corbyn above with John Bruton (an inverse relationship). 

This isn't the place for this as you say! It does give food for thought on a thread on perceptions of and  political leanings of national team fans. 

Ambush green View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambush green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 10:12pm
Could never understand  at the time Denis Irwin was in better form than Chris Morris, also always rated Michael Robinson over Cascarino. Robinson had  more pace. Also Whelan being injured was a big loss also. But who could criticise  Jack  with all that he achieved. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:24pm
Had Bonner an abnormally long kick on him out of his hands for a goalkeeper or was that normal back then? Is it normal now? I can’t remember it’s that long since I’ve watched football 
Suppose his GAA background helped him

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 08 May 2020 at 11:27pm
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Had Bonner an abnormally long kick on him out of his hands for a goalkeeper or was that normal back then? Is it normal now? I can’t remember it’s that long since I’ve watched football 

Well when your probably told to bypass the midfield and get it onto the 6’4 striker up top...it helps to have a long kick out.i personally thought he had a long punt on him but he only used it when needed.our taller striker would normally drop a little deeper so he could flick it onto a runner or Aldo.when we were chasing games jack would throw Quinn and cascarino up top and they would basically stand as close to the opposition goal as possible and deal with a Bonner scud from above.....basic stuff but as has been said on here effective at that time.

I do think that a lot of people probably agreed with dunphy about the way we played back then but were afraid to come out and say it.jack was god back then and very little was said against him so not to many people were going to criticize him publicly.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:28am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Well when your probably told to bypass the midfield and get it onto the 6’4 striker up top...it helps to have a long kick out.i personally thought he had a long punt on him but he only used it when needed.our taller striker would normally drop a little deeper so he could flick it onto a runner or Aldo.when we were chasing games jack would throw Quinn and cascarino up top and they would basically stand as close to the opposition goal as possible and deal with a Bonner scud from above.....basic stuff but as has been said on here effective at that time.

I do think that a lot of people probably agreed with dunphy about the way we played back then but were afraid to come out and say it.jack was god back then and very little was said against him so not to many people were going to criticize him publicly.

I think he done his back punting so many long balls, hence the famous grimace, was on the back road from dungloe to carrickfinn in March and passed his old club keadue rovers, recognised it from a VHS tape I had about him 20 years ago, hasn't changed. 

Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:42am
Personally think Ireland missed a real top class goalscorer in those days.  Put peak Robbie Keane in that side and Ireland would be dark horse for some of those tournaments.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 09 May 2020 at 1:42am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Sharpshooter Sharpshooter wrote:

Personally think Ireland missed a real top class goalscorer in those days.  Put peak Robbie Keane in that side and Ireland would be dark horse for some of those tournaments.
Aldridge was s top class goal scorer! He had scored 90 odd goals in the three previous seasons in England and Spain. The way we played didn't suit a top class goal scorer as he spent most of his time running around.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:22am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Aldridge was s top class goal scorer! He had scored 90 odd goals in the three previous seasons in England and Spain. The way we played didn't suit a top class goal scorer as he spent most of his time running around.

Yeah also had produced at top level, both Spain and England, and his international return was actually good given his game instruction to chase balls into the corner mostly!
Robbie wouldn’t have got a sniff under jack, not aggressive enough and probably wouldn’t have done the off ball chasing Aldo did, it was a thankless slog mostly.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:18am
Chris Morris had decent games against England and Holland
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:24am

You are talking sh*te we had Johnny Aldridge who was a class goal scorer but he was asked to play a different game for Ireland under jack and run the channels.  Robbie would have been asked the same.  At his peak Aldridge was every bit the finisher that Keane was.  Keane has an amazing career for Ireland and he is our best ever forward imo but Aldridge was a brilliant poacher who had to play a difffernt game for Ireland to keep his place. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:29am

Chris Morris had decent games against England and Holland

Morris gets a bit of an unfair rep. He wasn't top class but had a decent career, was winning things in a Scottish league that was a very high standard back then and was there on merit at the time. Irwin then came in and he was there on merit. But Irwin had never played a top flight game before italia 90 which people seem to forget. 

I've always felt there was a huge amount of revisionism about Jack's era by critics of it and am sure of it watching the games again. Looking at the Holland game last night, we played fairly well. Lot better than against England. The goal was long ball obviously but we got it down a bit against a very good side. 

And even the agreement between Mick and Gullit was only the last ten minutes. Happened when there was a long stoppage for Quinn getting injured. The myth has nearly become that it was half the second half from as soon as we equalised. Funny how narratives develop.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 09 May 2020 at 11:30am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 23>
  Share Topic