You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 4:32am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Recorded it tonight, was watching that Netflix show about the Chicago Bulls at the time.

Would it be hard to sit through again? Was 7 at the time, watched it in my uncles garage which was converted with a big screen and sofas in. Great memories

Yes...it’s awful.like has been said it’s hard to watch sober and football has moved on greatly since then(the backpass rule),the ref for me was terrible that night and added to a poor game.also it’s hard to believe England got as far as they did in 90...they were as hoof ball v us that night,they had waddle,Gaza,Barnes and Robson in midfield and 80% of the time they either misplaced passes or just hoofed it.anyway...watch the first half then delete it.

Bit harsh I think, that match was especially bad for even for that era, I have a dvd for that game with some ITV post match analysis complaining how shocking it was.  Steve McMahon was interviewed the day after basically apologising for the style of football played.  England however were completely unrecognisable in the semi final against Germany.  One of the best performances I've ever seen from England, I thought they were excellent.

BBC1 put on the two FA Cup semi finals from that year a couple of weeks back.

Crystal Palace 4-3 Liverpool
Man Utd 3-3 Oldham

Much much better games, as good as any classics today still standing the test of time.

The backpass rule absolutely had to go though, but football was still watchable back then.

ITV/UTV are putting on the 1987 FA Cup Final tomorrow at 5pm incase anyone's interested.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 02 May 2020 at 4:37am
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:50am
Yeah, I find football at the top level quite boring now. Everyone is so fit that you very rarely see a man being beaten by a bit of skill or a proper physical contest. Whenever I do watch a game it feels like the soccer riot in The Simpsons. That game is regarded as one of the worst, if not the worst, games every played at a World Cup, over here at least. We think of it as a decent result, but even a mention of it brings a grimace to most English football fans.

England changed their tactics after playing us and improved. They moved to a sweeper system that got the best out of Gascoigne and didn't really look back, even if they rode their luck a bit at times.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:06pm
This might be a silly question but is it thunder that strikes during Linekar's and Sheedy's goals? Always thought it was some sort of flare in the crowd but it seems crazy timing that thunder sounded as each ball went in the net.

The match was fairly awful, both teams were very sloppy in possession. The hoofball is hard to watch especially given the high calibre of players we had at our disposal. But if it wasn't broke don't fix it. Who knows what we could have achieved playing attractive football or perhaps we wouldn't have qualified for anything.

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 02 May 2020 at 12:07pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

This might be a silly question but is it thunder that strikes during Linekar's and Sheedy's goals? Always thought it was some sort of flare in the crowd but it seems crazy timing that thunder sounded as each ball went in the net.

The match was fairly awful, both teams were very sloppy in possession. The hoofball is hard to watch especially given the high calibre of players we had at our disposal. But if it wasn't broke don't fix it. Who knows what we could have achieved playing attractive football or perhaps we wouldn't have qualified for anything.

True , mind you Eoin Hands team with essentially the same players at their peak - Stapleton brady o Leary etc etc in 86 campaign were dreadful . At times around 92-94 we were playing some lovely football . They definitely could do it if needed , look back at ussr 88 match . One of our best passing displays and robbed at end . But yeah he didn’t adapt it particularly against the weaker teams 
Maybe Aldo would have had double the amount of goals with a passing team 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:48pm
Aldridge Houghton townsend and sheedy and Morris are hardly the same players and Mick wasnt a centre back for us in 82 either.   So it wasnt the same players.
AKA pedantic kunt
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:49pm

Recorded it tonight, was watching that Netflix show about the Chicago Bulls at the time.

Would it be hard to sit through again? Was 7 at the time, watched it in my uncles garage which was converted with a big screen and sofas in. Great memories

Yes...it’s awful.like has been said it’s hard to watch sober and football has moved on greatly since then(the backpass rule),the ref for me was terrible that night and added to a poor game.also it’s hard to believe England got as far as they did in 90...they were as hoof ball v us that night,they had waddle,Gaza,Barnes and Robson in midfield and 80% of the time they either misplaced passes or just hoofed it.anyway...watch the first half, fast forward to Sheedy's goal, then delete it.
Fixed LOL

Seriously though, I watched it back as well last night as I was just a kid back then. My God, that game was absolutely rancid stuff for an international. More like the sort of game you would see at the local park on a Sunday morning. Dead
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:00pm
There are mitigating circumstances though. It was a derby game in awful conditions between an England bereft of confidence and an Irish team who wanted to unsettle them. Given that 16 qualified from 24, itself a ridiculous scenario, it meant both teams were happy with a draw too. Ireland certainly were. The manner of the performance saw England slated in the English and Italian press more than the result.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Aldridge Houghton townsend and sheedy and Morris are hardly the same players and Mick wasnt a centre back for us in 82 either.   So it wasnt the same players.

Of course not exactly the Same -I’m well aware of that but the 
He had these players in their prime 
Stapleton 
O Leary 
Whelan 
McGrath 
Brady 
Moran
Sheedy 
Robinson
Beglin 

The addition of houghton and Aldridge made a big difference of course but hand had some top players between 82-86 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:05pm
But it wasn’t just Aldridge and Houghton. Morris, Staunton and Townsend who you have forgotten.

Edited by Baldrick - 02 May 2020 at 1:07pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Sharpshooter Sharpshooter wrote:

Yes...it’s awful.like has been said it’s hard to watch sober and football has moved on greatly since then(the backpass rule),the ref for me was terrible that night and added to a poor game.also it’s hard to believe England got as far as they did in 90...they were as hoof ball v us that night,they had waddle,Gaza,Barnes and Robson in midfield and 80% of the time they either misplaced passes or just hoofed it.anyway...watch the first half then delete it.

Bit harsh I think, that match was especially bad for even for that era, I have a dvd for that game with some ITV post match analysis complaining how shocking it was.  Steve McMahon was interviewed the day after basically apologising for the style of football played.  England however were completely unrecognisable in the semi final against Germany.  One of the best performances I've ever seen from England, I thought they were excellent.

BBC1 put on the two FA Cup semi finals from that year a couple of weeks back.

Crystal Palace 4-3 Liverpool
Man Utd 3-3 Oldham

Much much better games, as good as any classics today still standing the test of time.

The backpass rule absolutely had to go though, but football was still watchable back then.

ITV/UTV are putting on the 1987 FA Cup Final tomorrow at 5pm incase anyone's interested.

England were great against Germany but they were poxed in the other knock out games against Belgium and Cameroon. As PM mentions they rode their luck big time until the semi. Only beat the Egypt team we were berated for drawing against 1-0 in a scrappy game too. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

But it wasn’t just Aldridge and Houghton. Morris, Staunton and Townsend who you have forgotten.

What’s the obsession with Morris - very average player !! Dave Langan was far better -I forgot lawrensn too , world class he was ,  essentially Hand had all the above I mentioned,  and imagine Liam Brady at his full pomp in your team 

Jack introduced Houghton and Aldridge initially which he maintains gave him the balance he needed .  Hand didn’t get the most from his players 

Edited by Rodneytrotter - 02 May 2020 at 4:52pm
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:56pm
Yes it was thunder and really bad lightening. Was a nice day before match but a storm brewed in Med and hit Sardinia that evening. Some irish lads had rented catamarans and they sailed from I think Malta. They thought they were dead and said worse experience of their lives.
Other lads came across from Sicily on hydrfoil and said very scary trip.
No alcohol in Sardinia for the day.

ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:00pm
Morris a very average club player but always excelled in green jersey and always happy with his performances. Short and long of it was no one gave a fook what way we played once we were successful.
Though we dont now like to admit we feel the same in truth we do. Success for fans is everything. 

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 02 May 2020 at 8:30pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:08pm
Qualifier against the Nordies from '89 on Eir tomorrow night 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Looking forward to this one, home game at Lansdowne time to break open a few cans.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 12:33am

Yeah a far better game than the England game in 90(from what I remember,it could also prove to be muck)....a game that we actually passed the ball around a bit and Whelan’s pass to sheedy is quality.

Getting back to that England game...I’d the misfortune of watching watford v Liverpool from 1986on eir1 (think it was an fa cup game,pool won 2-1) but my Jesus it was awful.liverpool had all there stars out and this was the team that went on to do the double...but like the 1990 match terrible game.do we forget how really bad football was back then or we fans just deluded by the success?
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:29am

Yeah a far better game than the England game in 90(from what I remember,it could also prove to be muck)....a game that we actually passed the ball around a bit and Whelan’s pass to sheedy is quality.

Getting back to that England game...I’d the misfortune of watching watford v Liverpool from 1986on eir1 (think it was an fa cup game,pool won 2-1) but my Jesus it was awful.liverpool had all there stars out and this was the team that went on to do the double...but like the 1990 match terrible game.do we forget how really bad football was back then or we fans just deluded by the success?

Well I'm watching plenty of old football right now and enjoying it.  Footballers are better athletes now, and its a bit quicker for sure, but the skill level isn't that much different, I actually prefered some of the physicality back then which is absent now.  If you don't like 20th century football that's fair enough and I'm sure some will agree with you, particularly those under 30, but I enjoy watching 80s & 90s football still, each to their own.

I've seen some of the 0-0's of Italia 90 like the QF Yugoslavia 0-0 Argentina AET, should be a stinker, wasn't amazing admittedly but it was still far better than England v Ireland horsesh*t.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 03 May 2020 at 3:38am
Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:37am
Went and watched France's two opening games of Euro 84.

France 1-0 Denmark
France 5-0 Belgium

First match was kinda of 'meh' I'd give it 6/10, second match was good, give it 8/10, although Belgium didn't really turn up so the contest quickly became over.  Platini got a hatrick but Giresse was the standout player for me, thought he was amazing.  Check out that second goal at 2:40 Clap

Do you know Euro 84 was never shown on UK TV?  Only tournament since 1980 they've never broadcasted.  Lot of controversy and I say regret from British broadcasters for that decision looking back now.  Did they actually show it in Ireland?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
  Share Topic