Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Rep Of Ireland
    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:55pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:57pm
Thought it be a good idea to discuss some of these games as there is f**k all else to discuss.
Anyway half time in the Spanish game and Ireland 1up, some dodgy enough tackles on a very bumpy pitch, Lansdowne is rocking.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Thought it be a good idea to discuss some of these games as there is f**k all else to discuss.
Anyway half time in the Spanish game and Ireland 1up, some dodgy enough tackles on a very bumpy pitch, Lansdowne is rocking.

Best atmosphere I was ever at.  My first competitive game that I attended having been at a few friendlies previously.  My Da brought the four of us up from the west 5 hour trip up and 5 hours back as no motorways then.  Great days. Day off school.  My younger brother had to be lifted by my Da to.see the goal and they both missed it.   Aldridge missed the game due to Hillsbrough.  We really ground the Spanish to death that day.  Didnt let them play.   Real statement of intent. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:25pm
Butreqeno (sp?) Substituted in the second half said it all about the job we did on the Spanish, yeah the other Liverpool players played and were like men possessed, noticed the flags were at half mast too.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 11:12pm
Was on the North Terrace that day v Spain as a teenager... one of the lads from School had purchased a pair of Proclaimers glasses... all the rage back then... when Michel's OG went in...his glasses ended up in pieces.

I think the Reid Brothers were at No. 3 in the charts with I'm Gonna Be(500 miles) that week…lovely lads went on to help save Hibs back in the day.

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 12:00am
Be great if they showed some of the home games from the 80's, Wins against the Dutch and the star studded French team. The 3-3 against Spain. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Best atmosphere I was ever at.  My first competitive game that I attended having been at a few friendlies previously.  My Da brought the four of us up from the west 5 hour trip up and 5 hours back as no motorways then.  Great days. Day off school.  My younger brother had to be lifted by my Da to.see the goal and they both missed it.   Aldridge missed the game due to Hillsbrough.  We really ground the Spanish to death that day.  Didnt let them play.   Real statement of intent. 
Amazing. Would have loved to been there. Where was ya travelling from out of curiosity? 
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Delfor Mullin View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfor Mullin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 1:20am
Stapleton was a havoc in the 80´s vs France
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:35pm

My first ever game. I was 14 and up from the Whest. 

Managed to get onto the Spanish coach before the game with a nod and a wink from a garda who was looking after them. Their manager, Luis Suarez, got on the coach, saw me, and went crazy! It was unreal, Michel, Buttrageno, Zubizarretta etc. The guard then had to get on and start pretending to give out to me!

The story goes that the hot water was turned off in their dressing rooms, the grass was left an inch longer .....everything to put them off including me getting on the bus!

The stadium was absolutely rocking that day. 

It's not me it's you:-)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

My first ever game. I was 14 and up from the Whest. 

Managed to get onto the Spanish coach before the game with a nod and a wink from a garda who was looking after them. Their manager, Luis Suarez, got on the coach, saw me, and went crazy! It was unreal, Michel, Buttrageno, Zubizarretta etc. The guard then had to get on and start pretending to give out to me!

The story goes that the hot water was turned off in their dressing rooms, the grass was left an inch longer .....everything to put them off including me getting on the bus!

The stadium was absolutely rocking that day. 

Yep. Jack told the grounds man to cut the grass as if it was for the Rugby. (Or something to that effect)
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 6:58pm

Told this story on here before but sure why not. Couldn't get a ticket for that game but managed to wrangle a pass into the ground from a contact in Dundalk Fc as I was a first year in college up there at the time. Got the college bus down with a few others from the college team that were in the schoolboy / student section of the South Terrace but lost them on the way in as I had to go a different gate. Once I saw we were attacking the North end first half, decided to go onto that terrace for the first half and then the South for the second so was behind the goal when the winner went in. Wandered down to the usual spot for the second half and found the rest of the lads. Few cans on the bus back, great day out.

As others have said, the atmosphere was white hot that day, it definitely knocked the Spaniards off their stride. They couldn't even take a throw in without having abuse rain down on them. Non stop for 90 minutes. One of my favourite ever home games. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:05pm
I remember being at the game in the old east terrace and it was absolutely jammed packed....as a young teenager and the game not long after the hillsborough disaster I was sh*tting my bags trying to watch the match.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:43am
Yeah I was in there as a 13 year old for the NI match in that campaign and Hillsborough was on everyone's mind. Half the lads in my section spent the whole match telling people to "mind the young fella" and seemed to be more preoccupied with that than the match.
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 1:13am
it’s mad looking at that list , great memories flooding back. I was at every home match there bar ironically the match v The Netherlands 
Some big wins, match’s in the middle of the day on bumpy pitch’s ...big players and leaders on the pitch .we could be awful to watch but ground out results in fairness 
Different times but many good times .....
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:52am
Watched the Italy game in Croker again there. Stephen Hunt was a pest in both games against the Italians. 

Our shape for Gilardino's goal was terrible. Half of the players seemed to think we should have been trying to press them as high as we could, while the rest seemed like they thought we should be defending deep. This resulted in O'Shea winning a header inside their half, but leaving loads of space for the Italians to attack down our right side.

Could be harsh here but Given was poor for Gilardino's goal. Just fell over to one side rather than trying to stand tall, which probably would have saved it as it wasn't a great attempt.

TO'D said after St. Ledger's goal that Tardelli had told him not to go up for the free kick, but that Trap had overruled him. Never heard that mentioned before.

Completely forgot Martin Rowland's played in that game.

Edited by The Huntacha - 28 Apr 2020 at 7:53am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 2:56pm
Certainly not a classic if your a neutral, but England v Rep Of Ireland from 1990 on TG4 tonight at 19:30
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 2:59pm

Certainly not a classic if your a neutral, but England v Rep Of Ireland from 1990 on TG4 tonight at 19:30
Not a classic for anyone! Sheedy's strike was the only moment of quality.
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 7:59pm
Far better to do highlight programs with interviews before and after 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic