Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Ireland XI of Your Life Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:00pm
Yeah, pitch invasion after that goal

Sponsored Links

Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:47pm
Given
Irwin McGrath Dunne Staunton

Keane
Houghton Duff
Townsend

Keane Quinn
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:56pm
what's with people leaving out Whelan.  I know you could possibly put Brady Keane and Giles ahead of him like Gspain did.  Or if you didnt see him play like some have. But anyone who has Houghton in has to have whelan in too as they were playing at similar times.  Whelan played right up to 95 but his best work was done in the 80s.  Brilliant footballer who won european cups and leagues and fa cups and was brilliant for ireland at euro 88 and in the qualifiers for Italia 90
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:57pm
I see Given at left-back and no keeper!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I see Given at left-back and no keeper!

Duff seems to be subbing himself off

Edited by Left foot - 22 Apr 2020 at 2:00pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:20pm
Tough one

GK: Shay Given- Bonner is always fondly remembered for the Penalty shootout but Shay was a great servant for us and saved us many times, also a soft spot for him for doing the same for Newcastle for years.

Rb: Denis Irwin- I know I'm playing him out of position but he was well capable of doing so, one our most under rated players of the last 30 years he's one of those players every single player who played with him has him straight into their team. How as people say he didn't win 100 + caps is beyond me.

cb: Paul McGrath :Another who i don't think great the credit he deserves more outside of Ireland if it wasn't for his addictions would been a key player in world football.

cb: Richard Dunne- early days he was shocking due to similar issues McGrath has (another point to show how brilliant McGrath was that he was still brilliant during those days). But back to Dunne from around 2006 onwards he just became a rock from club and country.

Lb: Ian Harte: some probably won't agree with him being on this list but I think he was one of better players during Mick's first reign, wand of a left foot, the penalty miss against Spain probably soured his contribution during that period.

RW: Damien Duff- again out of position as he'd be predominantly a left winger but I had to have him in the team and couldn't leave out the player I have at left wing. Again maybe a player who could have done more for us but was a great servant for us.

CM: Roy Keane: no explanation needed

CM: Glen Whelan: just to piss people off (I actually agree with PM's inclusion of Andy Townsend a key player during our most successful era under Charlton)

LW: Kevin Sheedy: one of our most under rated players, another player which most players who have played with him have him in their teams.

CF: Niall Quinn- another under rated player always gave 110% for us and great servant, Would we have gone further in 94 if he was part of the squad???

CF: Robbie Keane: Oh how we have missed Robbie, our greatest ever striker no question
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:26pm
Probably Harte's only peno's miss for Ireland?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Probably Harte's only peno's miss for Ireland?

Perhaps, anytime we got a free kick within any distance I was confident he'd at least make the keeper work 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Old terry phelan!!! Good player with.pace to burn.

Bizarre to think that Leeds let both him and Irwon leave for next to nothing.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:07pm
Jesus now Glenn whelan agead of ronnie ffs :)  

Whelan was up there with Keane as a player.  

I dont think people.l realise how good Ronnie was. Liverpool sold sheedy to keep whelan.  He played left wing and then played the holding role for liverpool after Souness left 
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I dont think people.l realise how good Ronnie was. Liverpool sold sheedy to keep whelan.  He played left wing and then played the holding role for liverpool after Souness left 
Italia '90 was my first proper tournament, so I am open to correction, I don't think he was as good for Ireland as he was for Liverpool. This being the best Ireland XI of my lifetime Townsend was close to a certainty. 
And that's having watched back a lot of Liverpool in their pomp and seeing how good he was. He was excellent. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 22 Apr 2020 at 3:26pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:30pm
Baldie I think the problem is we're too young. Ronnie was a bit part player for Ireland past '88. So anyone under 40 probably doesn't remember him at his peak for Ireland
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:40pm
Bonner
Irwin
McGrath
Dunne
Staunton
Brady
Whelan
Keane
Duff
Keane 
Aldridge
Delfor Mullin View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfor Mullin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:43pm
my team 

1-Shay Given
2-Paul McGrath
3-Jim Beglin
4-Kevin Moran
5-David O´Leary
6-Roy Keane
7-Robbie Keane
8-Ronnie Whelan
9-Frank Stapleton
10-Liam Brady
11-Damian Duff
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:45pm
Staunton was a top players through the 90's, would have got in any international side you'd think. You'd think he'd have got a lot more nominations above if he hadn't been such a clown of a manager.
Sheedy was a cracking player and my favourite when I started following the game. 
Thought about O'Leary alongside McGrath but maybe not looking back at a couple of things!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Baldie I think the problem is we're too young. Ronnie was a bit part player for Ireland past '88. So anyone under 40 probably doesn't remember him at his peak for Ireland

Yeah exactly. He made his debut in 81 and played in some cracking games i.e. 3-2 against the french 

But Jack used him sparingly enough after 88. In fact, i had forgotten that he captained the side to that horrible draw away on the mountain top to liechtenstein in 95. He was done then. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Italia '90 was my first proper tournament, so I am open to correction, I don't think he was as good for Ireland as he was for Liverpool. This being the best Ireland XI of my lifetime Townsend was close to a certainty. 
And that's having watched back a lot of Liverpool in their pomp and seeing how good he was. He was excellent. 

Yep I never really seen the best of Ronnie Whelan myself, as I said I only put in Glen as a fishing rod and appears I've caught my first fish. I'd have Townsend ahead of him all day long in fact Whelan(Glen) wouldn't be in my top 10 centre mids I've seen down the years
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Yeah exactly. He made his debut in 81 and played in some cracking games i.e. 3-2 against the french 

But Jack used him sparingly enough after 88. In fact, i had forgotten that he captained the side to that horrible draw away on the mountain top to liechtenstein in 95. He was done then. 

He was a mainstay for the qualifiers for Italia 90. Class against northern Ireland at home and spain at home.   If you include sheedy and houghton I find it hard how people have whelan left out to be replaced by glen whelan etc.  
If you didnt see ireland to post 90 I can see how Townsend is there.   
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic