You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many away games have you been to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Though what a game to miss.Charlie and Chris De Buggy coming out to wave to the fans after the game. I think Charlie won on the boo count

Few of the lads that went to Euro 16 with me had to manage their time with work and kids and decided to miss the third group game and come back for the last 16 game if we qualified. Said it was weird as fcuk celebrating when Brady's goal went in, pub going mental, them jumping around delighted they'd be going back but also thinking what the f**k have we missed! The fact that we all thought the win was gone after Wes' miss added a lot to it tbf. Special moment. 

D69,
Not the Lille game but Rome back in 1990
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:17pm

Though what a game to miss.Charlie and Chris De Buggy coming out to wave to the fans after the game. I think Charlie won on the boo count

Few of the lads that went to Euro 16 with me had to manage their time with work and kids and decided to miss the third group game and come back for the last 16 game if we qualified. Said it was weird as fcuk celebrating when Brady's goal went in, pub going mental, them jumping around delighted they'd be going back but also thinking what the f**k have we missed! The fact that we all thought the win was gone after Wes' miss added a lot to it tbf. Special moment. 

D69,
Not the Lille game but Rome back in 1990

I know, just swapping missed games stories! 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:23am

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

5 @ World Cup
10 @ Euros
18 Others

3 @ World Cup
5 @ Euro
7 Others 

Looking back and especially now in lockdown wish I went to more.

Best has to be the 1-1 against the Germans in the World Cup.

By a mile. Greatest sporting moment I've been at. Houghton and Brady v Italy probably next in terms of Ireland away. 

I’m surprised this wasn’t your top.
I’ve watched that match back more than any other Ireland match.

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 4:48am
My favourite away game was when we beat Wales 1-0 in Cardiff to advance to the play-off against the Danes. Tops Brady against Italy in the Euros. The noise in our end that night was on another level. If I had any footage Id make a documentary called something like, One night in Wales 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 9:44am

5 @ World Cup
10 @ Euros
18 Others

3 @ World Cup
5 @ Euro
7 Others 

Looking back and especially now in lockdown wish I went to more.

Best has to be the 1-1 against the Germans in the World Cup.

By a mile. Greatest sporting moment I've been at. Houghton and Brady v Italy probably next in terms of Ireland away. 

I’m surprised this wasn’t your top.
I’ve watched that match back more than any other Ireland match.

I was in the end behind the goal for both. With Razor's it was so early that it was celebrate then the realisation that we had the guts of 80 minutes to hold out, although we ended up doing that comfortably and I ended up disappointed we didn't get a second. Sheridan really should have scored. As it transpired we'd have topped the group if he had and stayed in New York for a tie against Bulgaria rather than back to bloody Orlando and Holland. But anyway, the celebration for the goal definitely had an element of there's a long way to go. Plus it was ah early kick off and first game of the tournament for us as well. 

With Robbie, it was stoppage time and we were looking at being on one point from our first two games which would have had us in trouble. It would have meant a draw between Germany and Cameron in the final game would have put both through and taken it out of our hands. We'd played so well but looked like we'd not get what we deserved. So the mixture of joy, relief and then elation was something else. Night time game under lights added something as well as did the whole experience with the locals compared to the yanks who just didn't embrace the tournament or even realise it was on in a lot of cases. Germany goal well ahead for me. Even the celebration for Bradys goal were more full on than for Razor's because of the circumstances. Late goal, do or die, night time game etc. That said, 94 was a far more impressive win against their top string and better side in general. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 10:28am
Nothing in football comes close to last minute winners and equalisers. You have given up all hope, accepted the lads you have been roaring at for 90 minutes gave it their all and are fully resigned to a few beers to take the edge off when, out of what feels like nowhere, it happens. Even as a neutral they are special.
Keane against Germany was one of the finest examples of it. The whole thing seemed to happen in slow motion. I remember watching it in a small pub at home and there was a split second before the realisation kicked in and all hell breaking loose. I can only imagine what it was like in the stadium.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 11:17am
John o sheas last gasp equalizer away to Germany on his 100 th cap was special

Edited by daithi - 18 Apr 2020 at 11:17am
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 12:08pm
That was great alright. 3rd minute of injury time and home fans whistling for full time. Went bananas that night. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:05pm
15, 16 if you count that trip down to Cork for the game vs Belarus LOL
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

15, 16 if you count that trip down to Cork for the game vs Belarus LOL
Great night in reardens afterwards. Pity we didn't have bigger numbers just the hardcore usual suspects.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 5:08pm
87 for me since my first away game against Hungary played in Budapest back in 1989.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 6:49pm
First away was v Holland in amsterdam in 2000. So in 19 years I’ve 59 aways of which 7 are Euro Championship tournament games.
SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 7:45pm
Been to 14 aways including Brown testimonial 
First away v England in 2013, Vienna and Tbilisi favourite trips, Vienna for the performance and result, Tbilisi terrible on the pitch and unreal off it
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

First away was v Holland in amsterdam in 2000. So in 19 years I’ve 59 aways of which 7 are Euro Championship tournament games.
My first away too. Some trip that 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 9:20pm
Even thou it was at home Long's  goal against the Germans was something special .
Mad house when it hit the back of the net in the SS .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Savage trip. Entire Irish end baked. Even old lads sucking on weed lollipops, was hilarious to watch. LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 10:30pm

Savage trip. Entire Irish end baked. Even old lads sucking on weed lollipops, was hilarious to watch. LOL
Remember walking down canal Street after the game and there was queues of Irish fans at some of the establishments along the street literally stirring each others porridge.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 11:46pm

Remember walking down canal Street after the game and there was queues of Irish fans at some of the establishments along the street literally stirring each others porridge.

We stayed till the Monday so did the dog on it all day Sunday again. Drinking on a terrace table outside some boozer in the red light when this bloke comes up and says his mate had just snuck off into one of the windows over the road and they'd spotted him and knew which one. Got the whole crowd to wait for him to come out and give a huge roar and round of applause when he tried to sneak back out. Lad was scarlet, was absolutely comical! Still dunno if that was the only clap he got that afternoon... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic