You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many away games have you been to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:28pm
I missed out on the World Cup USA due to the kids. However when they were in primary school was back on some away trips (2 nights) - the wife was happy to take off for a few nights herself in return.
Worked out quite well. The double headers were an issue so had to be choosy - went to Slovakia as had never been but missed the following Czech game.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think the blaming of the other half is missing the point.  Children is the game changer surely.  Hard to justify cost of many away trips and annual leave when young kids are about. 1 trip per year is a realistic target I think.  

100%

Was never an issue before kids came along. I wouldn't expect my missus to look after our 2 kids now on her own for 3-4 nights as I wouldn't fancy doing it if roles were reversed. Even when we had 1 kid it was manageable getting aways in but 2 kids is a game changer for a few years. Once they're a bit older it will be easier

As you say, 1 away trip per year when you've young kids is probably enough

I remember ringing my heavily pregnant wife that I missed my flight from Armenia, who was also trying to mind a sick child.

Good times.

I asked my wife, do you mind if I go away to this game? she said, it doesn't really matter as your going to go anyway Cool

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 5:48pm
about 20 all told
Mr_T View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think the blaming of the other half is missing the point.  Children is the game changer surely.  Hard to justify cost of many away trips and annual leave when young kids are about. 1 trip per year is a realistic target I think.  

100%

Was never an issue before kids came along. I wouldn't expect my missus to look after our 2 kids now on her own for 3-4 nights as I wouldn't fancy doing it if roles were reversed. Even when we had 1 kid it was manageable getting aways in but 2 kids is a game changer for a few years. Once they're a bit older it will be easier

As you say, 1 away trip per year when you've young kids is probably enough

Once they are a bit older they start wanting to come with you!! Shocked
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:15am
They said "it will be grand when they get older" CryCryCry
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

They come with you.
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:19am
Started with Lyon in 2016 and got hooked from there, not sure if that game counts though. If it does I think my count is 12
drogcam View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drogcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:27am
Have only done the Euro 2016 group stage games so far. Will be in Luxembourg on Sunday though!
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:58am
All of them except the ones I missed.
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:20am

Austria November 2016

Denmark June 2019
Georgia October 2019
Switzerland October 2019

Luxembourg November 2021
Linzark
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:38am
8 in total now:

Germany 2014
Gibraltar 2015
Poland 2015
Austria 2016
Wales 2017
Denmark 2018
Switzerland 2019
Luxembourg 2021

And hopefully counting... Thumbs Up
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 1:24pm
29 including Euro's, 22 excluding. will hopefully break the 30 mark next year.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:58pm
Worked it out recently, Luxembourg was the 30th away game I have attended!

26th away trip if you count the Euros as one trip.

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

They come with you.
Yep. 

I'm up to 32 now. Plus 6 games at euro finals. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:09am
In my opinion, each match at a Euro/WC counts as an away match attended. 
You have to make all the arrangements to get to and from, change accommodation, sit on trains/buses etc for hours. It's not as if they're a package deal or a movie marathon where you can just sit back and wait for the next one! LOL

Anyways, up to 44 now. 
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:19pm
A quiet moment at work, so I've done a count of all the Ireland away games I've attended since I started going to them in 2000.  Including games at Finals: 54
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:39pm
First away was Wembley in 1980 as a kid with my Dad, first away under my own steam was Hampden in 1987. A lot of trips between 87 and 93 followed by a hiatus for a number of years, but back going regularly again in 2007. As kids get older and more expensive i have had to scale it back to 2 aways per group. Cant be arsed counting the total but a hello of a lot of money spent, but wouldn't change it for the world, been to several places I wouldn't have had it not been for football.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 1:29pm

Vienna 95
Anfield 95
Cardiff 97
Cologne 2013
Gelsenkirchen 2014
Warsaw 2015
Vienna 2016

living close to Lux but wasn't able to do on a Sunday night

was meant to go to Poznan with the old man in 91 by car from Dublin but he chickened out, would have been a long drive back after the two late goals LOL

Edited by dangere_here - 19 Nov 2021 at 1:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic