You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many away games have you been to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Baldie said this on another thread

โ€œ
The away trips are not generally a good advertisement for a happy marriage anyway ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€โ€

Generally the wife is fine with one away trip each year and any tournaments are okay. Sheโ€™s been on a few trips but mostly I go with the lads.

Would many on here be going to every away trips without the wife? 

Two friends who travelled a lot got married within a few months of each other when Jack was handing the reins to Mick.  There were different responses to future away trips on the wedding days.  "Over my dead body will X be going on anymore trips"   "Of course I won't be stopping Y from going to games with his friends"

One was deadly serious.  The other, well lets just say combined number of away games attended since the weddings is Zero.  
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

โ€œ
The away trips are not generally a good advertisement for a happy marriage anyway ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€โ€

Generally the wife is fine with one away trip each year and any tournaments are okay. Sheโ€™s been on a few trips but mostly I go with the lads.

Two friends who travelled a lot got married within a few months of each other when Jack was handing the reins to Mick.  There were different responses to future away trips on the wedding days.  "Over my dead body will X be going on anymore trips"   "Of course I won't be stopping Y from going to games with his friends"

One was deadly serious.  The other, well lets just say combined number of away games attended since the weddings is Zero.  
Do these wives only spread their legs to coincide with away games.....seriously, you'd have to have a long chat with yourself if you married someone who behaved like that. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

โ€œ

Do these wives only spread their legs to coincide with away games.....seriously, you'd have to have a long chat with yourself if you married someone who behaved like that. 

Going off our recent form I wish I had.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:22pm

โ€œ
<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">The away trips are not generally a good advertisement for a happy marriage anyway ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€โ€</span>
<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 26px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Generally the wife is fine with one away trip each year and any tournaments are okay. Sheโ€™s been on a few trips but mostly I go with the lads.</span>
<span style="font-size: 26px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 26px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Would many on here be going to every away trips without the wife?ย </span>

Two friends who travelled a lot got married within a few months of each other when Jack was handing the reins to Mick.ย  There were different responses to future away trips on the wedding days.ย  "Over my dead body will X be going on anymore trips"ย  ย "Of course I won't be stopping Y from going to games with his friends"

One was deadly serious.ย  The other, well lets just say combined number of away games attended since the weddings is Zero.ย ย 
seriously, you'd have to have a long chat with yourself if you married someone who behaved like that.ย 

Absolutely. The married lads in my group don't get any stick from their wives (that I know of ) over the trips. To be fair though these lads aren't out much when home and the impression I get is that their wives are happy to see them get away and break loose for a few days.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

โ€œ
<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">The away trips are not generally a good advertisement for a happy marriage anyway ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€โ€</span>
<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 26px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Generally the wife is fine with one away trip each year and any tournaments are okay. Sheโ€™s been on a few trips but mostly I go with the lads.</span>
<span style="font-size: 26px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 26px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Would many on here be going to every away trips without the wife? </span>

seriously, you'd have to have a long chat with yourself if you married someone who behaved like that. 

Absolutely. The married lads in my group don't get any stick from their wives (that I know of ) over the trips. To be fair though these lads aren't out much when home and the impression I get is that their wives are happy to see them get away and break loose for a few days.
Ah, the joys of being single and not having to get permission to go on away trips Cool
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Funny thinking about going to away games i have done this 3 ways 

With the Wife , on my own and with the lads .

I must say the best trips are with the Mrs when i weight all up . 
Guess whos Mrs reads YBIG...

John Delaney 

LOL

POTY
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

At least somebody scores Smile
LOLLOLLOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 11:10am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Guess whos Mrs reads YBIG...

John Delaney 

LOL
JasonmCork View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonmCork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 8:49am
Ive only been to Sweden away in 2013 but the other 3 season ticket holders in my group were at Spain in Euro 2012 and Sweden/Belgium in 2016. I work away a lot in Russia/ME so i missed those games :(
Id love to get to a game next year tho!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 9:31am
I think the blaming of the other half is missing the point.  Children is the game changer surely.  Hard to justify cost of many away trips and annual leave when young kids are about. 1 trip per year is a realistic target I think.  

Edited by Baldrick - 06 Sep 2021 at 9:31am
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think the blaming of the other half is missing the point.  Children is the game changer surely.  Hard to justify cost of many away trips and annual leave when young kids are about. 1 trip per year is a realistic target I think.  

If you can get away at anytime Baldie it has to be a plus Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 11:51am
I regret not going to more away games when I was single. Every trip was a great few days away. 

Being married I did make it to Euro 2016 for a week with the lads. 

But now with small child itโ€™s a tough ask to go away for a few days on the lash. I reckon any away trips will have to be family holidays too which is fine if itโ€™s somewhere sunny or kid friendly. 
I just canโ€™t do the 2 flights / Daveโ€™s trains combo to the destinations anymore. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 1:54pm

I regret not going to more away games when I was single. Every trip was a great few days away. 

Being married I did make it to Euro 2016 for a week with the lads. 

But now with small child itโ€™s a tough ask to go away for a few days on the lash. I reckon any away trips will have to be family holidays too which is fine if itโ€™s somewhere sunny or kid friendly. 
I just canโ€™t do the 2 flights / Daveโ€™s trains combo to the destinations anymore. 
Yeah with kids, it's all about getting to the destination and out as fast as you can, if you're only getting 48/72 hours away from family life you don't want long layovers or flying to an airport 6 hours away. Maximising time in the city is the goal now
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

100%

Was never an issue before kids came along. I wouldn't expect my missus to look after our 2 kids now on her own for 3-4 nights as I wouldn't fancy doing it if roles were reversed. Even when we had 1 kid it was manageable getting aways in but 2 kids is a game changer for a few years. Once they're a bit older it will be easier

As you say, 1 away trip per year when you've young kids is probably enough
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:05pm
Hear a lot of people say they give up going once they have children. Which is understandable. I know if I had any would be the same. Wonder if anyone stops for other reasons? Or anyone just got fed up of them.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:11pm
I paused when the kids were small meaning I missed Japan/Korea but shur I said I'd go to the next one, here I am still waiting ๐Ÿ˜ญ
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Hear a lot of people say they give up going once they have children. Which is understandable. I know if I had any would be the same. Wonder if anyone stops for other reasons? Or anyone just got fed up of them.
Abviously financial implications of having a family impacts on decisions about travelling to away games is one thing but your partner objecting to you going just because she doesnt like it is a different kettle of fish...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I paused when the kids were small meaning I missed Japan/Korea but shur I said I'd go to the next one, here I am still waiting ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Could bring the grandkids next. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic