Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Italian football late 80s early 90s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Italian football late 80s early 90s
    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:17pm
Anyone have fond memories of the glory days of Italian football in.thr late 80s and early 90s when it was by far and away the best league in the world.  

Rte 2 used to show a highlights show on a monday night.  1 game usually and goals from the rest of the games.  Martin Tyler used to do.l the commentary.   This is pre channel 4 and th4 advent or Gazza etc.   

Milan losing the plot away to Verona and getting 3 player sent order and Napoli win the league in 1990. 

Inter was my team then not sure why.  Probably as they won the league in 1989 and Mathaus was class  Trap was the manager too for a period at Inter.  

The star of the show was Maradona but basically esrly every world class flair player in the world played in Italy in the late 80s

Scifo
Ruben Sosa 
Caereca
Gullit
Van Basten
Baggio
Fracescoli
Alemao
Vialli 
Mancini 

AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:27pm
Most stories about Matthaus suggest he was, and is, a bit of a prick, but I noticed how kind he was to Waddle after he missed the penalty when watching ‘One Night in Turin’. I thought it was very sporting, unless he was telling him he was sh*te!

I had a soft spots for a few teams due to the jerseys. Fiorentina, Napoli, Milan, Roma, Bologna were all distinctive and quite exotic compared to the plainer designs in England at the time.

Edited by pre Madonna - 16 Apr 2020 at 2:27pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:32pm
I forgot about Brescia’s unique design, made famous by the greatest first touch of all time.

[TUBE]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0RbgPScElG0&feature=youtu.be[/TUBE]

Edited by pre Madonna - 16 Apr 2020 at 2:33pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:32pm

I absolutely loved it. Football Italia on C4 was brilliant, I just checked it out and that show was first aired in 1992. I assumed it was on before that but it must be just my memory playing tricks. 

I felt hugely attached to Juventus and hated Milan. Baggio definitely a big part in that. Obviously the quality of football was superb but it does show the power of good marketing that so many Irish people followed teams over there in a short space of time. 
El Puto Amo
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:50pm
Loved italian football. Can remeber the hi-light show on RTE.

Didn't have sky growing up so watched more of this than and English football. Always had a like for Napoli though don't remember them winning the league

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 3:05pm
Watching the RTE 2 programme every Monday and seeing early 90s AC Milan, always had a soft spot for them ever since.  
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 3:10pm
One of the sports television theme tunes Cool

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 3:11pm
Yeah rte started showing italian football on a monday night in 1988 or 1989.  

Milan collapsed in 1990 esp that game against Verona.  I didnt like Milan for.some reason.  Kinda saw them as the efficient team against Napoli.  God only knows why I liked Inter   

Irish people were starved of football If they didnt have bbc.  Rte had a 3pm game on a sat often shown at 3.30 for rights reasons.  

Italian football was the talk of the school yard the west of Ireland in the late 80s and early 90s along with the national side.  Throw in your utd and liverpool and arsenal and spurs fans and the odd forest fan too.  You had a few weirdos supporting man city and an Everton fan here and there too.  

But the glory was in Italy with amazing players and goals  and rte were there before gazza went to Italy and channel 4 starting showing it and we realised that most games were defensive bore fests  lit up by a great goal here and there 😀😀

Edited by Baldrick - 16 Apr 2020 at 3:13pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Milan collapsed in 1990 esp that game against Verona.  I didnt like Milan for.some reason.  Kinda saw them as the efficient team against Napoli.  God only knows why I liked Inter   

Irish people were starved of football If they didnt have bbc.  Rte had a 3pm game on a sat often shown at 3.30 for rights reasons.  

Italian football was the talk of the school yard the west of Ireland in the late 80s and early 90s along with the national side.  Throw in your utd and liverpool and arsenal and spurs fans and the odd forest fan too.  You had a few weirdos supporting man city and an Everton fan here and there too.  

But the glory was in Italy with amazing players and goals  and rte were there before gazza went to Italy and channel 4 starting showing it and we realised that most games were defensive bore fests  lit up by a great goal here and there 😀😀

Wasn’t it Gazza that got Channel 4 interested? Funny, as there was a history of English lads in Italy but he seemed to raise the profile hugely.

I was actually thinking that even without Sky, on the right weeks, you could get a proper diet of football, provided you had all terrestrial channels. Between the 3:30 RTE Kick off, MOTD, Live Italian Football (Sunday), Eurosport’s European Highlights Package (Monday) , BBC UEFA Cup (Tuesday) RTE Champions League (Wednesday), ITV Cup Winners Cup (Thursday), Friday (attend the LOI), you’d get a full diet of football. In truth, you just didn’t get access to some PL Games, some FA Cup/League Cup Games, Man United in the UEFA Cup, and England.

In those days I used complain how starved of football I was!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 3:29pm
Yeah, they wanted to buy the rights to Lazio games but could only buy the whole package. It is an interesting enough story, when told by Richardson at least. He had little or no interest in football and only went for the job as he had started seeing a girl who lived in Rome!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Wasn’t it Gazza that got Channel 4 interested? Funny, as there was a history of English lads in Italy but he seemed to raise the profile hugely.

I was actually thinking that even without Sky, on the right weeks, you could get a proper diet of football, provided you had all terrestrial channels. Between the 3:30 RTE Kick off, MOTD, Live Italian Football (Sunday), Eurosport’s European Highlights Package (Monday) , BBC UEFA Cup (Tuesday) RTE Champions League (Wednesday), ITV Cup Winners Cup (Thursday), Friday (attend the LOI), you’d get a full diet of football. In truth, you just didn’t get access to some PL Games, some FA Cup/League Cup Games, Man United in the UEFA Cup, and England.

BBC used to have a highlights show on a Wednesday night sometimes
Sportsnight was it called?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 3:31pm
Yeah, that was it! We didn't have BBC until later, so my uncle used to tape it for me and drop it around on Thursday evenings.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

BBC used to have a highlights show on a Wednesday night sometimes
Sportsnight was it called?

That’s right, it showed the highlights of the games that had been on Sky that evening. I remember watching the FA Cup ‘95 semi final replay between Palace and United as it was during the Easter Break, and it was a late showing.

Also, I remember tuning in Five Live for the Monday night games!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 3:41pm
sportsnight was shown way back into the 60s and would have a variety of sports but mainly football and boxing and darts.   Well before sky were even invented.  

Edited by Baldrick - 16 Apr 2020 at 3:46pm
AKA pedantic kunt
cullenswood View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 4:11pm
Foggia were a great team to watch back then, usually loads of goals, the  majority being against them!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by cullenswood cullenswood wrote:

Foggia were a great team to watch back then, usually loads of goals, the  majority being against them!
Whenever I see or hear the name I think of when they tried to sign Ben Johnson!
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 4:37pm

Some great cult heroes floating around the league in the early days. Ruben Sosa and Thomas Skuhravy spring to mind. Sosa loved a volley. Also remember Skuhravy having a little dance celebration
El Puto Amo
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 5:04pm
Sportsnight another one of the great sports theme tunes Clap

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic