You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:32pm
These lads get paid top dollar to work in a priveleged job for the good of football in the country. 

Not one of them has ever shown they are above money but now with the state of fai coffers, and the pandemic , I would've thought McCarthy would do the noble thing

And , JD is responsible. The last bag of sh*te he left in the room before he got rumbled. Or atleast we hope
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:57pm
Does anyone know what Mick McCarthy was earning per year at Ipswich? 

I've trawled the internet here but can't seem to find anything, bar a few quotes from twitter suggesting he was earning somewhere between £400,000/£500,000 per year (which could be way off)
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

McCarthy is a thief to take this money at such a time. Caring for Irish football me arse. He's just another charlatan

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Hardly McCarthy's fault that those were the terms given to him in his contract. I'd love to see anyone on this forum forgo a million quid...
Wrong, they are the terms he and his agent negotiated to receive

They are the terms the FAI offered and agreed to. They were the ones in control of the situation, not McCarthy. I just don't get people sometimes, in no other line of work would a person be expected to ask for LESS money than they're offered in a negotiation, so why do we apply different standards to football-related jobs?
We're decent enough..
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 7:08pm
see the hungry **** asking for tickets to the euros if we qualify, lol. f**king buy your own you feckin robber. Worse than a bleedin plumber this ****LOL
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

see the hungry **** asking for tickets to the euros if we qualify, lol. f**king buy your own you feckin robber. Worse than a bleedin plumber this ****LOL

Ah, would you stop. It was clearly said in a 'make sure you're there' manner. All ex managers are entitled to two tickets for every Ireland game anyway despite JD breaking that with Kerr, for which he was rightly slaughtered. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Ignorance personified 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:58pm

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Hardly McCarthy's fault that those were the terms given to him in his contract. I'd love to see anyone on this forum forgo a million quid...
Wrong, they are the terms he and his agent negotiated to receive

They are the terms the FAI offered and agreed to. They were the ones in control of the situation, not McCarthy. I just don't get people sometimes, in no other line of work would a person be expected to ask for LESS money than they're offered in a negotiation, so why do we apply different standards to football-related jobs?

Stop talking sense.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by Augustus Gloop Augustus Gloop wrote:

Bringing in David Mcgoldrick was Micks best decision as Ireland boss, as he's been player of the campaign. Other positives included improving the style of play and improving a team that had run out of ideas under O'Neill.

Some of the negatives include not finding a place in the team for Matt Doherty. Overcautious approach in games we would hope to win. 

But overall he was a success no doubt. He improved on what he inherited. He improved our morale and style of play. He brought some fresh faces into the squad who have all contributed  - Callum Robinson, McGoldrick, Egan, Stevens..... and Kenny will inherit a solid foundation to build from. 
I would love to know your definition of success.
In fairness he brought in McGoldrick but at the same time left out a much more experienced option in Long.

All the other 3 were in around the squad and Egan only got into the team when keogh got injured

I've always been supportive of Mick but to label his second tenure as a success isn't accurate. Mick steadied the ship after our desperate NL campaign, with an average team and met expectations overall (3rd place behind two consistently qualifying sides who are better than us) in the group. 

I don't think we would've beaten Slovakia under Mick tbh but at least with Kenny coming in now and assuming we're playing the playoff prior to the NL campaign, then there's maybe an element of surprise for our playoff opponents. I doubt Slovakia will see it as an advantage that we've changed managers though the odds are still with them imo. Home advantage is a huge factor.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Bringing in David Mcgoldrick was Micks best decision as Ireland boss, as he's been player of the campaign. Other positives included improving the style of play and improving a team that had run out of ideas under O'Neill.

Some of the negatives include not finding a place in the team for Matt Doherty. Overcautious approach in games we would hope to win. 

But overall he was a success no doubt. He improved on what he inherited. He improved our morale and style of play. He brought some fresh faces into the squad who have all contributed  - Callum Robinson, McGoldrick, Egan, Stevens..... and Kenny will inherit a solid foundation to build from. 
In fairness he brought in McGoldrick but at the same time left out a much more experienced option in Long.

All the other 3 were in around the squad and Egan only got into the team when keogh got injured

I've always been supportive of Mick but to label his second tenure as a success isn't accurate. Mick steadied the ship after our desperate NL campaign, with an average team and met expectations overall (3rd place behind two consistently qualifying sides who are better than us) in the group. 

I don't think we would've beaten Slovakia under Mick tbh but at least with Kenny coming in now and assuming we're playing the playoff prior to the NL campaign, then there's maybe an element of surprise for our playoff opponents. I doubt Slovakia will see it as an advantage that we've changed managers though the odds are still with them imo. Home advantage is a huge factor.  

Looks like NL first. If football does return in September then UEFA will want all the big nations playing, not just those in the play offs. Think it'll be November semi, final possibly Nov or even March. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:24pm
Have to say McCarthy being referred to as a 'thief' and another previous post implying him more or less out to be a mercenary is poor form as far as I'm concerned. Trap was criticised in some circles when he was highly paid but that's what the FAI agreed to pay these individuals. 

If you want to be critical about it , then logically you have to criticise the party that offered those terms to Mick and Trap/MON before him. They're entitled to be paid according to the terms of their contract.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Looks like NL first. If football does return in September then UEFA will want all the big nations playing, not just those in the play offs. Think it'll be November semi, final possibly Nov or even March. 

I'm hoping it is NL first myself but what makes you say that? Speculation or has something been indicated/announced?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:34pm

I'm hoping it is NL first myself but what makes you say that? Speculation or has something been indicated/announced?

Gary Owens said they were aiming for that on radio earlier. No decision yet but that's their preference. Personally think UEFA will want all the big guns involved for any relaunch. No rush with play offs. 
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 9:14am
the fai have had an exceptional year in terms of finance and we in are in an exceptional times where the fai have to cut people's wages 
The Fai have had to be bailed out. They were financially bankrupt
Any man who can take out 1 million on top of his salary for doing nothing at these times to me is a selfish theif and is lacking a conscious

Ofcourse JD is to blame. But it's also possible for McCarthy to fix that

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 10:12am

the fai have had an exceptional year in terms of finance and we in are in an exceptional times where the fai have to cut people's wages 
Any man who can take out 1 million on top of his salary for doing nothing at these times to me is a selfish theif and is lacking a conscious

That has nothing to do with McCarthy though, it's down to the FAI's own financial mismanagement. It would be the equivalent of you opting to give up your pension in order to help the owners of your place of work who had ran the business into the ground through their own reckless actions; would you do that?
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 10:15am

That has nothing to do with McCarthy though, it's down to the FAI's own financial mismanagement. It would be the equivalent of you opting to give up your pension in order to help the owners of your place of work who had ran the business into the ground through their own reckless actions; would you do that?

Of course he wouldn't. It's a ridiculous argument. Fantasy land stuff. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:10am

Exactly, Easy to criticise when he's not in Mick's position. 

Irish supporters should be above that stuff. Leave the mud slinging to the Ipswich fans whose team is wallowing in league 1. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:31am

Exactly, Easy to criticise when he's not in Mick's position. 

Irish supporters should be above that stuff. Leave the mud slinging to the Ipswich fans whose team is wallowing in league 1. 
Their fans are awful spanner’s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
  Share Topic