You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:30am
I was fairly happy when Mick was appointed and although the campaign was underwhelming the toxicity that was there under MON is gone now. We are a fairly dull and unimaginative team but hopefully now with Kenny we can push on a little and try to be more creative and positive. Certainly Kenny will look to win games rather than draw 1-1. I think Mick can leave with a thanks from the fans as someone who steadied the ship. At the end of the day he  took it to the last few minutes in the group. We just couldn't find a winner. But onwards now with Kenny in charge and hopefully some new blood injected into the team as well.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:31am
Think the pressure will be higher than when Brian Kerr was appointed. Certainly the task he faces is much more difficult.
Kerr was under pressure to rescue the qualification campaign for Euro 2004 by getting results against Georgia and Albania, plus had a friendly against Scotland to ease his way in and work with the players.
Kenny has to win a one off game against Slovakia, away from home, and then (hopefully) another one off game, away from home, against either Northern Ireland or Bosnia, with a much worse squad than Kerr had to work with.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:45am
Does he? I don’t think any fans expected us to qualify under Mick. If he didn’t think he could beat Georgia away he must have had no hope in Slovakia. Playing for penalties, and I would give us little hope of winning on them if we got that far, was ok for McCarthy but isn’t for Kenny?
It feels more like a free shot. Of course, if Kenny’s team were to get battered he might not recover as the knives would be out early, but that’s it.
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:18am
disgraceful pay off figures. McCarthy should do the decent thing and refuse them. Like taking money from a charity case with voluntary workers

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Think the pressure will be higher than when Brian Kerr was appointed. Certainly the task he faces is much more difficult.
Kerr was under pressure to rescue the qualification campaign for Euro 2004 by getting results against Georgia and Albania, plus had a friendly against Scotland to ease his way in and work with the players.
Kenny has to win a one off game against Slovakia, away from home, and then (hopefully) another one off game, away from home, against either Northern Ireland or Bosnia, with a much worse squad than Kerr had to work with.

Why does he have to win itConfused

Slovakia were favourites last month and they will be so whenever the game takes place
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Kerr had a much better quality of squad to work with and they are not really comparable situations. I don't think anybody expects us to qualify for the Euros with the way we have to do it, but a lot of supporters might be more optimistic about our chances. As mentioned already, its a free shot for Kenny and a good performance against Slovakia regardless of the result would be a positive 
Augustus Gloop View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Augustus Gloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:56am
Bringing in David Mcgoldrick was Micks best decision as Ireland boss, as he's been player of the campaign. Other positives included improving the style of play and improving a team that had run out of ideas under O'Neill.

Some of the negatives include not finding a place in the team for Matt Doherty. Overcautious approach in games we would hope to win. 

But overall he was a success no doubt. He improved on what he inherited. He improved our morale and style of play. He brought some fresh faces into the squad who have all contributed  - Callum Robinson, McGoldrick, Egan, Stevens..... and Kenny will inherit a solid foundation to build from. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:28pm
Crawford & John O'Shea confirmed as U21 manager and assistant, Duff coming on board with Kenny & Andrews, Alan Kelly staying as GK senior coach. 

Pipkin made a point here or elsewhere about McCarthy's contract reeking of the 'old FAI' and it certainly did, right down to the 'exit payment' and bonus for qualification. One of those 2 things surely wasn't required, I think most fans would agree the qualification bonus should have been enough of an incentive. 

The other one that reeked of old FAI, possibly even more so, is paying Robbie Keane a quarter of a million a year to put on maybe 20 coaching sessions, maybe 30 at most, for a few hours at a time during international games, and then maybe go watch a few other games involving Irish players when Middlesbrough weren't playing. A quarter of a fcuking million. Pare that down to hours worked for the FAI and he could very well be more expensive than McCarthy per hour. 

I think a good bit of the reason we are paying vastly inflated salaries is because of JD's personal ambition to be seen as a 'football insider' and general big shot.  All these lads agents, who tend to be sharp operators when it comes to all things financial, probably recognised Delaney as a spoofer straight away and played on his desire to be seen as one of the 'big men' in football by asking for ridiculous money for their clients. Delaney, not wanting to be seen as a penny pincher or small time operator,  probably agreed all these contracts with very little fuss.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Crawford & John O'Shea confirmed as U21 manager and assistant, Duff coming on board with Kenny & Andrews, Alan Kelly staying as GK senior coach. 

Pipkin made a point here or elsewhere about McCarthy's contract reeking of the 'old FAI' and it certainly did, right down to the 'exit payment' and bonus for qualification. One of those 2 things surely wasn't required, I think most fans would agree the qualification bonus should have been enough of an incentive. 

The other one that reeked of old FAI, possibly even more so, is paying Robbie Keane a quarter of a million a year to put on maybe 20 coaching sessions, maybe 30 at most, for a few hours at a time during international games, and then maybe go watch a few other games involving Irish players when Middlesbrough weren't playing. A quarter of a fcuking million. Pare that down to hours worked for the FAI and he could very well be more expensive than McCarthy per hour. 

I think a good bit of the reason we are paying vastly inflated salaries is because of JD's personal ambition to be seen as a 'football insider' and general big shot.  All these lads agents, who tend to be sharp operators when it comes to all things financial, probably recognised Delaney as a spoofer straight away and played on his desire to be seen as one of the 'big men' in football by asking for ridiculous money for their clients. Delaney, not wanting to be seen as a penny pincher or small time operator,  probably agreed all these contracts with very little fuss.

Exit bonus was clearly negotiated to replace the original second campaign that was mooted before the succession idea came to the fore. 

Talk now the qualification bonus will be shared with Kenny if that's achieved. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Augustus Gloop Augustus Gloop wrote:

Bringing in David Mcgoldrick was Micks best decision as Ireland boss, as he's been player of the campaign. Other positives included improving the style of play and improving a team that had run out of ideas under O'Neill.

Some of the negatives include not finding a place in the team for Matt Doherty. Overcautious approach in games we would hope to win. 

But overall he was a success no doubt. He improved on what he inherited. He improved our morale and style of play. He brought some fresh faces into the squad who have all contributed  - Callum Robinson, McGoldrick, Egan, Stevens..... and Kenny will inherit a solid foundation to build from. 
I would love to know your definition of success.
In fairness he brought in McGoldrick but at the same time left out a much more experienced option in Long.

All the other 3 were in around the squad and Egan only got into the team when keogh got injured
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:57pm
I would say McGoldrick's rejuvenation was the only major "player development" Mick achieved in his tenure; but given the short time period I suppose that side of things was never really at the forefront of his mind.
We're decent enough..
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:00pm

Is Keane really on 250k !!!
Qualifying bonus is standard fare but why be paid an exit fee ?

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Exit bonus was clearly negotiated to replace the original second campaign that was mooted before the succession idea came to the fore. 

That just goes to show how much of a sham it was.  Exit bonus is a nonsense.  Mick got two years the fai didnt owe him a 4 year contract so.why compensate him for something that they didnt owe him.  I blame the JD regime not the current one as they are just fulfilling legal requirements 
AKA pedantic kunt
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

That just goes to show how much of a sham it was.  Exit bonus is a nonsense.  Mick got two years the fai didnt owe him a 4 year contract so.why compensate him for something that they didnt owe him.  I blame the JD regime not the current one as they are just fulfilling legal requirements 

Don't disagree at all. Just giving a context to the exit bonus because people were asking about it. Only my opinion but soon as I heard about the exit payment it seemed clear to me how that negotiation would have went. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:19pm

His contract is reported as 1.2m a year. His exit bonus reported as 1.13m. So effectively, they paid him for 2 campaigns, but specified that he would only have to work for one campaign. That's some shrewd negotiation tactics from the FAI there alright. 

The qualification bonus also reported as a million, to be split pro-rata between Mick & Stephen, if we qualify. Mick has played 8 games, Kenny will play a max of 2. Lets allow for the fact Kenny's (playoff) games are more difficult and say that bonus gets split 50/50. 

That's just short of €3 million for Mick, for a total of 10 games managed. Nearly €300k a game. 

Klopp and Mourinho are the joint 2nd highest paid managers in England on just short of 18m. To take Liverpool, they played 53 games in all competitions last season. Paying Klopp 300k per game would work out at €15.9m, which is roughly equal to what he is actually paid. 

Given the less frequent nature of international football V club football, Mick's contract, as agreed with FAI, is probably among the most lucrative out there for the workload. And yes, I'm aware of the fact the nature of the jobs differ, but when ya take into account that contracts for Mick & his staff were agreed by an organisation that was more or less insolvent, it really beggars all belief. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 3:49pm
McCarthy is a thief to take this money at such a time. Caring for Irish football me arse. He's just another charlatan
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:06pm
Hardly McCarthy's fault that those were the terms given to him in his contract. I'd love to see anyone on this forum forgo a million quid...
We're decent enough..
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Hardly McCarthy's fault that those were the terms given to him in his contract. I'd love to see anyone on this forum forgo a million quid...
Wrong, they are the terms he and his agent negotiated to receive
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
  Share Topic