You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Right call from the FAI.

For those saying Kenny shouldn't be thrown in at the deep end, I personally dont think it really matters if we qualify for Euro 20/21 at this stage.

Great if we do, if not then Kenny has started building his team for the World Cup which takes place just a year later. 

The format, along with Covid-19 has ensured that whenever the next Euros are held, or wherever for that matter, it's going to be overshadowed by a World Cup happening just a year later.

They’ll either push the World Cup out by one year and play it in odd years going forward, in order to keep the two year gap between the two tournaments. Or they’ll have another Euros in 2024 as planned with just a three year gap between European Championships. No way can they just continue on as normal after next year and have nothing for three years and then a Euros and World Cup one after another.

No they won't. Even with the Euros in 2021 there's a still the guts of a year and a half till the next World Cup. 

Not the next World Cup. I meant they won’t have a Euros in 2025 and a World Cup in 2026. They’ll push the World Cup out or bring the Euros back a year.

The euros will be in 2024, plenty time to change the schedule between now and then. Just because euro 2020 was put back to 2021 doesnt mean every other euros after will be changed a year.

Edited by wanderer - 04 Apr 2020 at 8:40pm
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

a poor campaign by mick effectively 1 win.
He was hampered by the quality of player available to him.
Stubborn in his selection how he didn’t include Shane long in one squad was a case in point 
Was that not down to Robbie? Or is that nonsense?

What Robbie got to do with it? Whats that story about?
It has been alluded to, both on here and elsewhere, that Robbie doesn’t like Long and that’s why he has been left out. 
I must add that it seems unlikely to be that trivial, but I am curious all the same.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:50pm
Ive never heard that but it does sound bull. Even if it was true i doubt Mick would leave him out just for Robbie. Hes not the type.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:00pm

Stubborn in his selection how he didn’t include Shane long in one squad was a case in point 

1 loss in 10 games? Not a poor campaign. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:02pm
Disappointed the decision is made so early and the FAI didn't wait to see which game is played first (Euro 2020 playoff or Nations League). Mick deserved to manage the team in the play off, and take us to Euro 2020 if we got there. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ive never heard that but it does sound bull. Even if it was true i doubt Mick would leave him out just for Robbie. Hes not the type.
Mick is usually the type to do the opposite of what he is told, so it does seem unlikely. Still, it is such a strange rumour that their must be something in it.
I’m hardly Long’s biggest fan, but it isn’t as if we have loads of options! He should still have been in the squad.
Deco View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:19pm
Would of kept Mick in charge of the seniors and Kenny in charge of the under 21's with both in contention of qualifying, but hey the decision has been made I wish Mick McCarthy the best of luck in what he does in future and fully back Stephen Kenny for the coming months (and hopefully years).
Let the Games begin ...
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

1 loss for in 10 games but more importantly effectively 1 and to make it worse we looked like winning no game either 

It was poor we were never positive even when results fell our way and had we shown any bit of bottle we could have qualified.
We scored 7 goals 3 against Gibraltar.
So 4 goals in 6 games absolute thrash.

I can’t see it any other way than poor
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:30pm

Disappointed the decision is made so early and the FAI didn't wait to see which game is played first (Euro 2020 playoff or Nations League). Mick deserved to manage the team in the play off, and take us to Euro 2020 if we got there. 

Why?
He missed automatic qualification and its only through O Neills last crap Nation's League campaign that we have a backdoor attempt at all, such is the daftness of the competition 

Edited by eboue16 - 04 Apr 2020 at 9:32pm
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:48pm

Was that not down to Robbie? Or is that nonsense?
You would have to hope nonsense and if it was true neither Mick or Robbie should have been in their jobs
I’m not sure Robbie should have ever been given a position. Sentiment shouldn’t be a factor and he never struck me as the type suited to coaching. Then again, neither did Duff and he seems highly regarded.

The big difference is that Duff has been serving an "apprenticeship" since he stepped into coaching, moving up the ladder year on year and gaining more experience in the process, whereas Robbie was handed the Ireland/Boro assistant managers gigs with zero meaningful coaching experience behind him.

It's no surprise to see Boro struggling really, Steve Gibson putting a manager and assistant in charge with no experience (what could have gone wrong)

I think Duff eventually could take over as Ireland manager, it will be interesting to see how long he will stay in the background at Celtic (he definitely needs to for another year or two anyway) before he becomes a manager somewhere.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:25am
Financial decision, but lets face it, it isn't as if Mick left the FAI with much of a choice. Had we already qualified, he would be staying, they would likely have found a way.  Had we out performed Switzerland or Denmark, or both, and got robbed by a Henry-type Ref's terrible decision, there would have been an argument to keep him. 

He was brought in to steady the ship, did that, went on to keep us in the hunt until the end, and when that end came, he ran out of ideas. Well, he did have one idea V our strongest opposition away from home, but that was probably a game for a conservative approach (while going all out V Georgia) and in any case, he made a botch of it. Very decent man and likeable individual, but nothing I've seen in his 2nd tenure made me think we could win 2 games away from home in 5/6 days. 

That doesn't mean Kenny will win them, or we'll automatically play better, but hopefully in the longer run, its a decision that will be positive for us. 

Well, actually, it wasn't a decision really, can ya imagine Barrett, Quinn, McAneaney etc heading off to the new Sports Minister in a few months time and trying to explain why they renewed an expensive contract for their highest paid employee in the middle of a pandemic ? ? Delaney would have no doubt tried to bluff that one, as he is tone deaf to reality, but these new FAI are somewhat connected to it, as, to be fair, I'd imagine Mick is too. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:33am

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Does Mick not kicking up a fuss not demonstrate he wasn't overly bothered once he got the bag of cash??

Can't win, can he? 
Exactly another typical football manager who only cares about the big bag of cash.

I'm not getting this. Would you prefer if he started kicking up a stink about this? Because if he had plenty would be getting stuck into him about how selfish he was being.

He leaves with dignity and without a fuss and people are calling him a money grabber for his contract being paid. Utterly bizarre stuff. 

I must agree with you there Drumcondra 69er
Linzark
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:34am

1 loss for in 10 games but more importantly effectively 1 and to make it worse we looked like winning no game either 

It was poor we were never positive even when results fell our way and had we shown any bit of bottle we could have qualified.
We scored 7 goals 3 against Gibraltar.
So 4 goals in 6 games absolute thrash.

I can’t see it any other way than poor

We played 8 games
Linzark
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:35am

1 loss in 8 games
Linzark
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 3:41am
He done well with a very average team, he learned of jack, but jack had some class players

Edited by brissy - 05 Apr 2020 at 3:42am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Financial decision, but lets face it, it isn't as if Mick left the FAI with much of a choice. Had we already qualified, he would be staying, they would likely have found a way.  Had we out performed Switzerland or Denmark, or both, and got robbed by a Henry-type Ref's terrible decision, there would have been an argument to keep him. 

He was brought in to steady the ship, did that, went on to keep us in the hunt until the end, and when that end came, he ran out of ideas. Well, he did have one idea V our strongest opposition away from home, but that was probably a game for a conservative approach (while going all out V Georgia) and in any case, he made a botch of it. Very decent man and likeable individual, but nothing I've seen in his 2nd tenure made me think we could win 2 games away from home in 5/6 days. 
Hi I pop
That doesn't mean Kenny will win them, or we'll automatically play better, but hopefully in the longer run, its a decision that will be positive for us. 

Agree with all of this.
Mick was given a fair chance but he didn’t surpass expectations.

Time to move on - like everyone else let’s hope Kenny is successful.

The problem is it’s going to be difficult to qualify for this Euro and the next World Cup. Let’s hope he is given time to improve the way we play. 

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:46am
It's the right decision for everyone tbh. Mick leaves with his dignity intact, his reputation probably enhanced (although I'd see it as neither harmed nor enhanced), increasing the likelihood of securing another shot at club management.

The FAI were aided by how the situation with the Denmark job played out a few days before this.

Any player who's not on board with the new management can be discarded fairly easily. None of them are indispensable.

I'd hope that Kenny gets a chance to manage the team for NL games before the play-off. Having a semi-final as your first game in charge without having had a lot of time with the team is far from ideal. Patience from everyone involved, including supporters, is going to be key.

Edited by The Huntacha - 05 Apr 2020 at 8:48am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:23am
Happy with this overall, Kenny will have less pressure than Kerr as expectations are lower these days. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
  Share Topic