You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 12:34am
Micks performance certainly looking a lot better now than many (including myself) thought - given that we were in the same qualifying group as a Quarter and a Semi Finalist.
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:46am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Micks performance certainly looking a lot better now than many (including myself) thought - given that we were in the same qualifying group as a Quarter and a Semi Finalist.

You obviously didn’t watch the Ireland games v Switzerland and Denmark. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:48am
The performances weren't great, but the results were okay, except for the 2-0 loss to Switzerland.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

We gave up less chances against Slovakia and Serbia than we did under Mick against Switzerland and Denmark.

We just happened to concede 2 ridiculous goals against Serbia because of individual errors that probably wouldn't have happened if Randolph was playing.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 04 Jul 2021 at 12:29pm
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

We gave up less chances against Slovakia and Serbia than we did under Mick against Switzerland and Denmark.

We just happened to concede 2 ridiculous goals against Serbia because of individual errors that probably wouldn't have happened if Randolph was playing.

A Serbia side who didnt qualify and a Slovakia side out in the group stages.

This tournament has shown us that the teams that Mick faced were a lot better than many thought and we did very well to be competitive against them. Which was my point.

You bringing up Slovakia and Serbia (two far worse teams) is completely irrelevant.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 1:21pm

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

A Serbia side who didnt qualify and a Slovakia side out in the group stages.

This tournament has shown us that the teams that Mick faced were a lot better than many thought and we did very well to be competitive against them. Which was my point.

You bringing up Slovakia and Serbia (two far worse teams) is completely irrelevant.

Denmark got to to where they are despite losing to Finland and Belgium. Their path to the SF couldn't have been easier with Wales and Czech Republic.

Switzerland drew with a poor Wales team and lost comprehensively to Italy. They pushed France and Spain all the way, hanging on by the skin of their teeth while Spain contrived to miss about 7 or 8 easy chances, but they won one lottery and lost the other.

People can pour scorn on our result against Slovakia by saying we lost on penalties so it can go the other way too.

You'd swear one of them actually beat a half-decent team or something.

exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:17pm
Could be available again if he results keep going the way they're going

Played 5 centre backs so presumably would relish the Ireland squad thats developing at moment.  Can only dream i suppose.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:20pm
Micks Team:

Randolph
Clarke, Duffy, McGuinness, Egan, Collins
Coleman, O'Shea, Omobmidele, Doherty 
Collins

Would be confident enough of it getting a few draws anyway.

Edit:  On second thoughts, Jimmy Dunne or Kevin Long instead of Duffy at the back and stick Duffy up front instead of Collins.  

Edited by exgrad - 29 Sep 2021 at 12:24pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

Played 5 centre backs so presumably would relish the Ireland squad thats developing at moment.  Can only dream i suppose.

With Cardiff being broke I doubt they'd have the money to sack him.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:43pm

I'd rather watch us lose trying to play football than watch us lose playing park the bus.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:50am
should Ireland be beating Gibraltar by more than one goal?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I'd rather watch us lose trying to play football than watch us lose playing park the bus.
Which performance/result was better: Ireland 0 Luxembourg 1 or Ireland 1 Georgia 0? So utterly puerile to use Mick McCarthy (or substitute any of our previous relatively successful managers) as the lowest common denominator . 

Yet 82% here accept our inability to beat such as Luxembourg and Azerbaijan at home - and a horrific 6.25% win ratio - as the stuff of renewal. Anyone who voted to offer Stephen Kenny a new contract has ZERO right to complain about current results or previous managers. 

Oooooh well now you’ve underlined your nonsense I’m all on board with it 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

McCarthy didn't park the bus. No doubt a limited. less creative and pragmatic approach to the games.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Does it matter?

3 points is all that matters - although it's constantly being used to beat McCarthy with.

These minnows are getting more organised and stronger all the time. 

Gibraltar have a team in EL conference league now which is a sign of progress for them.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:33am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Does it matter?

3 points is all that matters - although it's constantly being used to beat McCarthy with.

Gibraltar have a team in EL conference league now which is a sign of progress for them.

Jaysus are you not the same fella that said we should be beating Luxembourg no question. Luxembourg are a level above Gibralter, indeed they are at the same level as ourselves nowadays.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Does it matter?

Jaysus are you not the same fella that said we should be beating Luxembourg no question. Luxembourg are a level above Gibralter, indeed they are at the same level as ourselves nowadays.

I do think we should be beating Luxembourg and Gibraltar.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 10:38am

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Does it matter?

I do think we should be beating Luxembourg and Gibraltar.

Why should we be beating Luxembourg?
Danger here, OH NO
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 10:52am
It's not really how football works. Should Italy be beating ireland? Should Germany? 

I thought we played better than Luxembourg after a slow start 
 but they had a good day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
  Share Topic