You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The reason Mick shouldn't have been given the job was the pointless nature of it. Nobody would have qualified with that team, so why waste two years on it? The obvious thing was to try and develop the team and take some beatings if needed. Instead we are doing it arseways and, as a result, have people crying for Mick to come back, despite Kenny having had one meaningful game; a game Ireland were incredibly unlucky to lose on penalties.

This is something that people forget. In many respects it was our best performance in a game since Austria in 2016. The smash and grab result in Cardiff in 2017 was better on paper, but we had a few rubs of the green that night. Luck deserted us in Slovakia, especially as McGoldrick was the best play on the pitch, and Browne and Hourihane had exceptional chances to put the game to bed. After that, the squad was decimated by injury and illness

Crikey, this is all very true and I am hopeful of a Slovakia-like performance in a few weeks in Belgrade.
Based on nothing really apart from the fact we did it once, why not again.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

the anti mick brigade are every bit as bad as the anti Kenny brigade.  Mick is a decent manger and has is doing a very good job at Cardiff.  Did an excellent job with Ireland after a ropey first campaign. 

I was quite critical of Mick Mack in his time for us but make no mistake I was equally as critical of the players. He was no excuse to not be able to pass the ball two yards. 

Football clubs/national teams are very much a reflection on the pitch of what’s happening off it and for Ireland really we are a stark reflection of what’s been happening off it the last 15-20 years now. Man Utd a bit similar at the moment at club level in England just a reflection of the owners bit inconsistent and drifting nowhere. 

When’s the last time we have produced a volume of home grown quality of any description underage? Now we are producing talent again noticeable from the 99 year group on it just might take time to see this come to fruition. 

Edited by kevin100 - 25 Feb 2021 at 5:48pm
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

the anti mick brigade are every bit as bad as the anti Kenny brigade.  Mick is a decent manger and has is doing a very good job at Cardiff.  Did an excellent job with Ireland after a ropey first campaign. 

I was quite critical of Mick Mack in his time for us but make no mistake I was equally as critical of the players. He was no excuse to not be able to pass the ball two yards. 

Football clubs/national teams are very much a reflection on the pitch of what’s happening off it and for Ireland really we are a stark reflection of what’s been happening off it the last 15-20 years now. Man Utd a bit similar at the moment at club level in England just a reflection of the owners bit inconsistent and drifting nowhere. 

When’s the last time we have produced a volume of home grown quality of any description underage? Now we are producing talent again noticeable from the 99 year group on it just might take time to see this come to fruition. 
This group of youngsters isn't even comparable to 99
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

This group of youngsters isn't even comparable to 99

He means the 99 age group onwards - i.e. those born in 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 that are coming through now. He's not comparing it to the Keane, Duff, O'Shea, Dunne etc. era. Far too early to tell how this group will stack up against those lads but that group set a high bar.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:39pm
Yes apologies wexfordman was reference the crop of players born form 1999 onwards probably wasn’t clear. As for Duff Keane O’Shea Dunne etc they are a long way off them that goes without saying. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:42pm

Yes apologies wexfordman was reference the crop of players born form 1999 onwards probably wasn’t clear. As for Duff Keane O’Shea Dunne etc they are a long way off them that goes without saying. 

Yeah agreed 👍
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:57pm
McCarthy's managing a team in contention for promotion to the Premier League next season, whilst Kenny would likely struggle to get so much as an interview with an EFL club at any level. That's the brutal truth of the situation.

Realistically, the yawning chasm in quality is such that no manager simply based on his LoI achievements, however significant, is automatically qualified for the National team job, unfortunately for us. 

In appointing Kenny we've downgraded in a big way. But with our association's lack of financial clout nowadays this is something we'll have to get used to.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 25 Feb 2021 at 7:59pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

McCarthy's managing a team in contention for promotion to the Premier League next season, whilst Kenny would likely struggle to get so much as an interview with an EFL club at any level. That's the brutal truth of the situation.

Realistically, the yawning chasm in quality is such that no manager simply based on his LoI achievements, however significant, is automatically qualified for the National team job, unfortunately for us. 

In appointing Kenny we've downgraded in a big way. But with our association's lack of financial clout nowadays this is something we'll have to get used to.

Jim Goodwin is doing a good job at St Mirren, and has spoken about his ambitions of managing Ireland, but aside from him, McCarthy and Hughton, there is a shocking lack of Irishmen managing at a decent level - which is generally the case.

I've always wondered why that is. Irish lads with leadership skills and high level experience like John O'Shea, Robbie Keane and Shay Given tend to go into coaching roles whereas there's always an abundance of Scottish and Welsh former players, say, managing at a strong level.

Whenever there's a vacancy for the Scotland job there's always a good few young Scots linked with the role. Beyond the usual three or four, whenever the Ireland job is available we have to look to people like Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Jim Goodwin is doing a good job at St Mirren, and has spoken about his ambitions of managing Ireland, but aside from him, McCarthy and Hughton, there is a shocking lack of Irishmen managing at a decent level - which is generally the case.

I've always wondered why that is. Irish lads with leadership skills and high level experience like John O'Shea, Robbie Keane and Shay Given tend to go into coaching roles whereas there's always an abundance of Scottish and Welsh former players, say, managing at a strong level.

Whenever there's a vacancy for the Scotland job there's always a good few young Scots linked with the role. Beyond the usual three or four, whenever the Ireland job is available we have to look to people like Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis.
Dan Mcdonnell had a good piece in the indo about young lad at United who certainly looks promising. Long term Brenden Rodgers if when his club career is finished? 
Be interesting to see how Stephen O Donnell develops but you are right it is disappointing 
Obviously Duff will hopefully develop further 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:52pm
If the job came up tomorrow Goodwin would probably be the obvious candidate in terms of what the FAI could afford to pay. Realistically the earliest the job will be available is the end of this campaign so there could be others by then, who knows.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 2:26am

Couldn't disagree with any of that. There's obviously a deficit there, for whatever reason.

Allardyce and Pulis would little doubt improve us, however.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

If the job came up tomorrow Goodwin would probably be the obvious candidate in terms of what the FAI could afford to pay. Realistically the earliest the job will be available is the end of this campaign so there could be others by then, who knows.

Goodwin has very little managerial experience. He's nowhere near ready to make the step up to international level. Let's see where he is in 5 years time minimum 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:24am

Couldn't disagree with any of that. There's obviously a deficit there, for whatever reason.

Allardyce and Pulis would little doubt improve us, however.
To improve us over the last 8 games would not be too hard now would it .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Goodwin has very little managerial experience. He's nowhere near ready to make the step up to international level. Let's see where he is in 5 years time minimum 
The state of our team at the moment I'd say the calibre of players he's dealing with at St Mirren is probably superiorLOL
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 11:08am
the ultimate nightmare for some of the most vocal of the Mick knockers he’s favourite for the Celtic Job!
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 11:38am

You say it as if we're in a position to headhunt top level managers.

The reality is the complete opposite, someone like Goodwin, on his current trajectory, would be well out of our reach in five years time. People need to wake up with regard to what market we're shopping in when it comes to managers. If the job was going tomorrow he'd easily be one of the favourites.

Our current manager has only managed for one year in a fully professional league in his whole career, it was well over a decade ago, he finished last in the division and was sacked.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:32pm

You say it as if we're in a position to headhunt top level managers.

The reality is the complete opposite, someone like Goodwin, on his current trajectory, would be well out of our reach in five years time. People need to wake up with regard to what market we're shopping in when it comes to managers. If the job was going tomorrow he'd easily be one of the favourites.

Our current manager has only managed for one year in a fully professional league in his whole career, it was well over a decade ago, he finished last in the division and was sacked.

If Goodwin was appointed and lost his first few games, you'd be one of the 1st  on here calling for his head, citing a lack of experience. It makes zero sense to jettison Kenny and replace him with someone less experienced, less proven and who has managed at a lower level. Hopefully Goodwin will go on to have a great coaching career but he's only at the beginning of that journey. 

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:36pm
Mick signed new 2 year contract with Cardiff today. 
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
  Share Topic