Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Jaysus - he's managed 8 odd games and people are planning premier league promotion and a shopping list of players LOL

I can count the number of Irish players who've been signed by foreign managers at PL and Championship level on my pinky finger. It would be a positive thing if McCarthy got Cardiff promoted because he has a history of signing Irish players and bringing through young Irish players at club level. Aside from the obvious ones, I remember him trying to sign Daryl Murphy for Wolves.

We need all the help we can get - especially with 5 players going down with Sheffield United and West Brom. Potentially more if Fulham catch Brighton or Newcastle.

He brought over Matt Doherty from Bohs to Wolves.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:45am
Next EIRE manager? Jaysis
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 2:30pm
Why the hell would he want the Irish job. He was happy with the situation last time where he could use us as a shop window and lower expectations to the point where he couldn't really fail. FAir play to him but we need a very different type of manager to help rebuild Irish football not just cope and get results for the senior team.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 12:01pm
nice write up for MM

“I’m cool with my age, my experience, my big nose, my wrinkly forehead, and my hair’s dropping out. I don’t give a flying …”

Aah mick 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:03pm
Winning 2-0 against Bournemouth. They'll be level on points with them tonight as things stand. Reading in abject form as well and definitely catchable.
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:03pm
And people though Kenny would improve the Irish squad....
Let's be honest Mccarthy miles ahead of him

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

he looks good in the Championship but managed to take a dynastical APOEL side and turn them into sh*t overnight, we haven't suddenly got rid of the next Pep or Klopp here
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:30pm
Mick is on a good run, he was brought in to save them from possible relegation and has hauled them into the promotion race. Fair way to go yet but if they do go up, must be an excellent chance of a new contract for him and maybe he will bring some Irish players in to the Premiership when he is strengthening the squad, as he would have to do.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

No. McCarthy, whether he was right or wrong, treated us as a very limited team that could do f**k all. Sure you read about his tactics deployed at Cardiff and he's playing 4-3-3, wing backs etc. They'd more than likely wipe the floor with us anyway but Mick's approach with us was totally different

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

he looks good in the Championship but managed to take a dynastical APOEL side and turn them into sh*t overnight, we haven't suddenly got rid of the next Pep or Klopp here

So many things wrong here LOL what was he given? 8 games? 

Pep or Klopp? Old enough to be their aul boy
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Mick is on a good run, he was brought in to save them from possible relegation and has hauled them into the promotion race. Fair way to go yet but if they do go up, must be an excellent chance of a new contract for him and maybe he will bring some Irish players in to the Premiership when he is strengthening the squad, as he would have to do.

Defintly.want Mick to do well as hes an ireland legend but his second stint in charge of ireland was horrible. 

Hes doing very well with Cardiff early on but some on here getting carried away. Maybe give him half a season and hopefully he'll continue the good form.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:51pm
For good or for bad, judge a manager after a season or a campaign.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:10pm
Funny seeing all the cardiff fans hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong with their dismay at his appointment LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:20pm
Mick has always flourished with sides on very limited budgets, he is THE man for the scenario and I'm delighted for him.

If you look at the absolute state of the Sunderland, Ipswich and even the current Cardiff sides, they're absolute dogsh*t but the Championship is a bizarre league where players with extreme limited ability can outshine the more talented players, just look at where Cardiff and Barnsley are.

It doesn't mean Ireland missed a trick with replacing him early, those qualities he was brought in for wasn't shown so it was almost like he was there for the sake of it the campaign was that bad.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:26pm

Defintly.want Mick to do well as hes an ireland legend but his second stint in charge of ireland was horrible. 

Hes doing very well with Cardiff early on but some on here getting carried away. Maybe give him half a season and hopefully he'll continue the good form.

If his second stint is horrible Kennys regime is a horror show
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:27pm

If his second tenure was horrible Kennys regime is a horror show
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:28pm
Some short memories on here ffs.  

Edited by Denis Irwin - 24 Feb 2021 at 10:28pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:50pm
Some crazy cats on here. Mick is a genius after 8 games and Kenny is written off after 8. Do some of you approach life with this short term attitude to how good/bad things are? 

Let's see where Mick is in a year's time. let's see where Kenny is  year's time. 
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:02pm
I like Mick but it wasn't working out with Ireland with Mick 2.0. He had a much better team the first time round and couldn't make the most of the current squad. Maybe SK can't either but Mick's time was over with Ireland anyway. Glad to see he's doing well with Cardiff. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>
  Share Topic