You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mick McCarthy sacked as Cardiff manager
    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:05pm
Official announcement now released. 

FAI thank Mick McCarthy as Stephen Kenny takes up Ireland job

The Football Association of Ireland announces that Mick McCarthy is to be succeeded as national team manager by Stephen Kenny with immediate effect. The handover has been agreed with both men in light of the delay to the European Championship play-offs caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Mick McCarthy’s contract was due to expire on July 31st after the Euro 2020 finals, with Stephen initially scheduled to step up from his Under 21 team role on August 1st. This move allows Stephen Kenny time to plan for the European Championship play-off semi-final against Slovakia later in the year.

Interim FAI C.E.O. Gary Owens said: “This has been a difficult situation for the Association - and for Mick and Stephen in particular - in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic and the effect it has had on the football calendar.

“On behalf of President Gerry McAnaney, the Board of the FAI and myself, I want to thank both men for their professionalism and their understanding in their dealings with the Association in these unprecedented circumstances. These are exceptional times in Irish life and Mick has taken that into account in agreeing to vacate the post early.

“On behalf of the FAI, I wish to express our gratitude to Mick for his service and commitment to our national team throughout his career and particularly in his second spell as Ireland manager. We wish Mick and his staff well and we thank them all for their hard work in this European Championship campaign to date.

“Stephen will now begin his planning for the play-off against Slovakia and everyone at the FAI wishes him well in our bid to qualify for Euro 2020. Football will be back and we have so much to look forward to now in the autumn with the Nations League and the Euro 2020 play-off, followed by the World Cup qualifiers in early 2021.”

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 23 Jan 2021 at 10:00am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:06pm
Oh
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:14pm
Can't see that going down too well with the squad.

I really hope now the playoffs aren't in September, Kenny needs a few friendlies / nations league games. His first game as big as a playoff is madness 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:15pm
No problem with this, even though I like Mick I don't think he offered us value for money. I really would hope Mick gets a decent job in football and definitely would do a decent job for someone in the championship. Time to look forward to the Stephen Kenny era now with a few posts remaining to be filled like Stephen's backroom team and who gets the u21 gigg. What happens to Robbie Keane with his role now?

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 04 Apr 2020 at 4:17pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

I really hope now the playoffs aren't in September, Kenny needs a few friendlies / nations league games. His first game as big as a playoff is madness 
Why wouldn’t it go down well with the squad?

Do we even need a manager? We will just draw 1-1 anyway, may as well save the money.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:18pm

All it takes is Stephen to bring in 4 or 5 players to the squad that will be HIS players and the squad won't be long gelling.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:20pm
All he needs now is to find them!
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:27pm
Correct decision.  

These playoffs were nothing to do with Mick and his reign will unfortunately be remembered for his approach to the latter games in the group,  especially Georgia away.

I see no way that we would have qualified for the Euros with Mick in charge, and while Kenny might not get us there, I'd rather start the process with Kenny rather than delay for a year.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Well I'll bet my house that Molumby starts in Slovakia. So there's one. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
Can't see how this could have gone any other way, it was in the contracted terms so there was no way around it. Tough situation for Kenny to come into to, and a disappointing way for Mick to bow it, but it's nevertheless a change in approach that we've been in need of for years now.
We're decent enough..
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
Given the current events and the FAI's already precarious finances, they couldnt justify paying two men for another 12 months. Nothing else would have come in to it
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

He won't even need to start them, just call up Knight, Parrott, Molumby and Idah for argument's sake while it initially might create a clique it will prevent more senior players being disrespectful towards Kenny.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:41pm
Suspect FAI had little option from a legal point of view given the 1st August is specifically stated in Kenny's contract 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

He won't even need to start them, just call up Knight, Parrott, Molumby and Idah for argument's sake while it initially might create a clique it will prevent more senior players being disrespectful towards Kenny.

I'd imagine Molumby and Connolly would be good shouts to go straight into the team, with the likes of O'Shea, Idah/Parrott/Obafemi, and Knight all coming into the squad.
We're decent enough..
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:43pm
There was no way Mick would have beaten 2 sides away in the playoffs.

Kenny will bring in a much more positive approach and will actually try and win games. Delighted his tenure is over, that campaign was so uninspiring.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
SeanPeadir View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanPeadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:43pm
First game in charge - A play-off semi final Pinch
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:43pm
Contracts were signed with specific dates on them regarding succession. This was always going to be the outcome.
Its a tough way for Mick to finish up but that's the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:44pm

Don't see it having much affect on the players sure some of them might not even be in Kenny's plans anyway. 

For once the fai has done the right thing in terms of the future any other action would of cause both more financial strain on the organisation and possibly legal action also seeing as how Kenny's contract as senior manager was to commence August 1st going on media reports
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic