You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gardening thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:59pm
Ah yeah I know.

I did have a passion fruit plant before we got the house extended, it's a plant that grows a long a wall, similar to ivy or trumpet vine.

The fruits wouldn't develop fully to eat, however, my old man would come along pick a few and eat them.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 10:58am
McG
 Very impressed you did really well now you know how big these babies grown don't you ?
Not sure if we have the weather for them to be honest , i used to work on an Avocardo plantation in Isreal for a couple of months which was fun .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

McG
 Very impressed you did really well now you know how big these babies grown don't you ?
Not sure if we have the weather for them to be honest , i used to work on an Avocardo plantation in Isreal for a couple of months which was fun .
You can only get those ones in Waitrose.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:02am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Avocado tree Horse

Ultimate hipster growing an avocado in a craft beer glass 
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:05am

McG

Yeah, i read 7 foot? But sure i can prune it back. 

It's a year old now. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Avocado tree Horse

Never thought of that LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:11am

Avocado tree Horse

This is pedantic in the extreme, even by my standards, but Blue Moon cannot be classified as a craft beer due to the recommendations of the Brewers Association. I believe Coors have actually been sued as a result of this, basically a breach of product advertising.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Avocado tree Horse

This is pedantic in the extreme, even by my standards, but Blue Moon cannot be classified as a craft beer due to the recommendations of the Brewers Association. I believe Coors have actually been sued as a result of this, basically a breach of product advertising.

f**k off PM  dont out pedant the 2nd biggest pedant on here :) 
AKA pedantic kunt
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 12:22pm

McG

Yeah, i read 7 foot? But sure i can prune it back. 

It's a year old now. 

7 foot , not sure about that as i had to use ladders to get to ones at the top of the trees .
Again all depends on what kind of tree it is but i am sure it will out live the both of us Smile

Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:09am
So  CM ,i planted all these chilli seeds at the same time, the big one in the black pot which i named  CĂș Chulainn ,seems to be on steroids and has shot up,put him in a seperate pot,it was swaying a bit to one side so i seen online to put in support stakes either side with garden wire for support,now its attatched to one of the stakes,will that hinder the growth or should i leave it ?

Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:53pm
Yohhhhh Lilly 
 The big one looks great  i must say .
Now bottom line i only grow birds eye chilies but you need bigger pots from what you have . 
I will take a pic and send one on but you need to weed them out best replant them as soon as possible . 
 Best to water them and weed them right after .
Also a tip form a mate of mine in Melbourne is to keep the different chilies apart as some seem to mutate into one kind which is the strongest . 
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:32am

Yohhhhh Lilly 
 The big one looks great  i must say .
Now bottom line i only grow birds eye chilies but you need bigger pots from what you have . 
I will take a pic and send one on but you need to weed them out best replant them as soon as possible . 
 Best to water them and weed them right after .
Also a tip form a mate of mine in Melbourne is to keep the different chilies apart as some seem to mutate into one kind which is the strongest . 

Have the bigger pots ready,thanks for the tips, that wouldnt be so bad,i read that the worlds hottest pepper was a mutant grown in a greenhouse in Wales!
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:14pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:21pm
Sorry Lilly can't manage to post a comment to this above . 
 Anyway these were sown on the 17th Feb i expect chilies around August .
They will grow as high as 1200cm now when they grow that high you need to stop them growing by cutting the tops as you need all to growth to the crop . 
Need to know how yours get on as i may change tack next year . 
 All mine are grown inside .
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 8:23pm
Anyone noticed there seems to be a good few bees around this year? 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 8:24pm
Yeah, a few buzzing around the garden yesterday. They'll thrive this year.

Wasps are out early too.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Bobilla1 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobilla1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 9:10pm
with a lot more time on our hands, now might be a time to think about putting a bit of colour into your gardens for years to come. The cheapest way and easiest is to take cuttings of plants, put 4 or 5 into a pot, wait a month or so and pot them on. I do it every year with hydrangeas, and are very easy to propagate. From next month on, hydrangeas will start their new growth, green shoots from last years woody stems. Take a cutting just below a couple of leaves, about 6 inches long, remove all the leaves from all the cutting except top two. If top leaves are very big, cut half the leaves off horizontally. Plant into edge of pot and repeat. 
Take plenty of cuttings, because approx 50% will die.
After about a month or two, if they have rooted, pot them on.
Leave over winter and plant out next summer and you might be lucky and it will flower the same summer.
Free gardening and great for the mental health. IMO, the reason gardening is so benficial mentally lads is because you are always thinking ahead to how things will look or taste depending what you are growing. Look to the future, not live in the past. Thumbs Up
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:11am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Anyone noticed there seems to be a good few bees around this year? 

Mild winter helps. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic