You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gardening thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Been growing a big batch of Ghost peppers,Cayene peppers and Carolina Reapers,(love Indian and spicy food).

Side of the house is a bit muddy ,going to put some grass seed down on Monday as we are heading for a week of 20 degrees here,don't know much about lawns,any tips lads ? (apart from Baldy )
Lilly
Have you grown peppers before ?

Most of them love the sun and lots of water too , now if you are growing them outside make sure they are well covered as any kind of a frost will kill them all stone dead .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

If my neighbour got a fake astro turf lawn I'd take a sh*te on it every night too

i've watched all the Harry Potter movies and i've never seen him sh*t in the neighbours garden 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:42am
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Some good garden furniture in Aldi today!
I didn’t even know they had a garden.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Been growing a big batch of Ghost peppers,Cayene peppers and Carolina Reapers,(love Indian and spicy food).

Side of the house is a bit muddy ,going to put some grass seed down on Monday as we are heading for a week of 20 degrees here,don't know much about lawns,any tips lads ? (apart from Baldy )

Depends on what is on the patch. 

Clear it off of any weeds etc, spike it, get some top soil and spread a decent amount of seed 👍 if it's a very wet patch you could do a top soil/sand mix but make sure it's a fairly coarse sand

Cheers Marko, there is some grass already there , i have the seed and top soil,no sand unfortunately , hardware shops shut here ,so water once /twice  daily ?
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Lilly

Most of them love the sun and lots of water too , now if you are growing them outside make sure they are well covered as any kind of a frost will kill them all stone dead .

I tried and failed last year,better prepared this year,i've been growing them inside by the window since lockdown started 17 days ago,got a greenhouse from Lidl so i plan on moving them out there once it  gets warmer at night.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:05pm

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Lilly

I tried and failed last year,better prepared this year,i've been growing them inside by the window since lockdown started 17 days ago,got a greenhouse from Lidl so i plan on moving them out there once it  gets warmer at night.
Super took me a couple of years before i got the hang of it then i blew out last year as not sure what happened .
The main thing is when they start to flower much later in the year , next is that they will need to be pollenated with our good friends the bees , so leave the door open during the day the bees will do the rest Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:35pm
You need to make sure the seed doesn't dry out so water accordingly but don't overdo it, depending on the weather ye are having. Good luck with it, post up results Thumbs Up
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:36pm
Also if there is any dead grass or moss on the soil, rake it up first before putting down seed, the seed needs to have good contact with the soil! 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:42pm
Have a good grasp of the avocado tree growth process now.

Seeing as it's all about gardening, here are some of the stages
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:42pm
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:43pm
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:45pm
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:16pm
What are those above?

Planted some courgette and green bean seeds the other day. I've a feeling the magpies have eaten the seeds, so planted more today.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:30pm
Avocado tree Horse
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:33pm

Edited by horsebox - 02 Apr 2020 at 3:33pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:34pm
Well yeah. The pip (seed) then the plant at the forefront of each photo is the same pip/seed a few months on.
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:48pm
Impressive. Going to give that a try and I eat a lot of avocados.
Are you just growing them in your kitchen?

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:55pm
Yeah in the kitchen. It's a long enough process but it's a bitta craic. Take the seed from the avocado, with the pointy side up, stick 3 toothpicks into it as use them as a bridge to suspend the seed in a glass of water. Make sure the point is above water so it can dry out and crack. Eventually the whole thing will begin to crack and you should see a root begin to protrude after a while. 

Leave it in the water until its about 12 inches in height from the stem. Then plant it in a big pot. 

Ps, try a few seeds at a time as not all of them germinate.

Pps, unless we get unseasonable weather it's unlikely it will bear fruit and i think i read that the tree needs to be 7 years before it does. So i dont think you will be munching on your own avocados Horsey. Makes for a nice plant though LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic