You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gardening thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:30pm
f**king hated gardening. Previous owners had planted a jungle and was some clean up every 6 months.

Got a no maintenance garden last year front and back. Delighted with it other than a cat keeps going the toilet on me fake lawn Angry

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:37pm
If my neighbour got a fake astro turf lawn I'd take a sh*te on it every night too
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

f**king hated gardening. Previous owners had planted a jungle and was some clean up every 6 months.

Got a no maintenance garden last year front and back. Delighted with it other than a cat keeps going the toilet on me fake lawn Angry

Leave a plastic 1.5L bottle of water on its side in the garden, the cat won’t come back in any more.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Leave a plastic 1.5L bottle of water on its side in the garden, the cat won’t come back in any more.
Would that work if ye lived next door to mayo mark LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Would that work if ye lived next door to mayo mark LOL
LOL
Bobilla1 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobilla1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:51am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Garden covered in moss. What’s best to get rid of it? Not willing to make too much of an effort

couple of lads at work have used mo bacter from the co op and swear by it. Kills the moss, and this in turn feeds the grass. No raking. Have to wait till weather warms up as other poster said. 
Usually sold as 20 kg bag of pellets for 200m2 coverage, but co op online only selling concentrate version, to mix with water in sprayer at the mo.
Arrived yesterday, so will try for myself in couple of weeks
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Just finished painting the decking and rails fecked  now LOL  

Wooden? Dead
Yeah I only put it down year and a half ago, I scaped the whole back my self still bits to be done but I will get around to it nearer summer months if I can, I was sorry I started but got me out of the mad house

75% of my garden was wooden decked when I bought the house. Every f**king year I was replacing frames and decks and staining.

Gave up on it last year and got composite put down. No more maintenance thank f**k.

Wooden decks in Ireland are madness

Eh ? What wood were you using balsa ? Smile

Done a deck the guts of 17 years ago and apart from replacing a couple of caping pieces it’s in great shape 

This decking was down for 10 years i'd say. You'd be minding your business walking through the garden and your foot would go through a board with the rot LOL 

A foot and a half elevated off the ground - pain in the hole stuff.

You must have fierce better weather north of the boarder NR. Wooden decks and Eire weather don't mix at all for me. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:31am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

If my neighbour got a fake astro turf lawn I'd take a sh*te on it every night too

Same LOL

And the weeds and grass will show through the creases eventually anyway Big smile
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Just finished painting the decking and rails fecked  now LOL  

Wooden? Dead
Yeah I only put it down year and a half ago, I scaped the whole back my self still bits to be done but I will get around to it nearer summer months if I can, I was sorry I started but got me out of the mad house

75% of my garden was wooden decked when I bought the house. Every f**king year I was replacing frames and decks and staining.

Gave up on it last year and got composite put down. No more maintenance thank f**k.

Wooden decks in Ireland are madness

Eh ? What wood were you using balsa ? Smile

Done a deck the guts of 17 years ago and apart from replacing a couple of caping pieces it’s in great shape 
The only problem NR is that your decks are at the bottom of the bloody hill and it's a hell of a long hike to get to where you keep your beer in the fridge Shocked
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:11am

This decking was down for 10 years i'd say. You'd be minding your business walking through the garden and your foot would go through a board with the rot LOL 

A foot and a half elevated off the ground - pain in the hole stuff.

You must have fierce better weather north of the boarder NR. Wooden decks and Eire weather don't mix at all for me. 

To be fair the brother put a low deck in years after mine and parts were rotten pretty quick mainly because his wife was soaking the plants and soaking the deck at the same time and it was never dry  and its only about two steps off flat ground so it doesn't it a lot of air movement around it under it .

All my decks have good air movement beneath them because of the slope especially the first one I done  - actually I have a couple of repairs to the subframe but the deck boards themselves are in great shape - coat of decking paint every couple of years and bobs your uncle
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

The only problem NR is that your decks are at the bottom of the bloody hill and it's a hell of a long hike to get to where you keep your beer in the fridge Shocked

True but you either bring a cooler bag down , or you get mrs NR to drop you drop you down a refill Thumbs Up
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:34pm
I had a good go at the brambles last night the Hawthorn bush was a bitch but the saw got most of it at the end of the garden .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I had a good go at the brambles last night the Hawthorn bush was a bitch but the saw got most of it at the end of the garden .

bad karma Murph
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Garden covered in moss. What’s best to get rid of it? Not willing to make too much of an effort

Wait until you see common weeds such as dandelions, buttercup etc start popping their heads up then cover the garden in feed, weed and moss killer. Mid April is when they usually come around.  You can also hire a sacrifier but if you have a big garden it's a pain in the hole and you are left with a hape of moss and nowhere to put it.
Got couple bags of the seed, feed and kill from Tesco s today and got it down. Says to rake out in 2 weeks. Looking forward to seeing the progress. This is life now 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:46pm
It'll turn black and look like sh*t before that but should be good after you rake it up

Shed cleared and tidied today and started painting the deck but rain was on the way. 

Painting shed, fence and deck to come!

Planted wild flower seeds last June and starting to show up today Clap
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:37am
Been growing a big batch of Ghost peppers,Cayene peppers and Carolina Reapers,(love Indian and spicy food).

Side of the house is a bit muddy ,going to put some grass seed down on Monday as we are heading for a week of 20 degrees here,don't know much about lawns,any tips lads ? (apart from Baldy )
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:38am
Some good garden furniture in Aldi today!
Here we go again
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Been growing a big batch of Ghost peppers,Cayene peppers and Carolina Reapers,(love Indian and spicy food).

Side of the house is a bit muddy ,going to put some grass seed down on Monday as we are heading for a week of 20 degrees here,don't know much about lawns,any tips lads ? (apart from Baldy )

Depends on what is on the patch. 

Clear it off of any weeds etc, spike it, get some top soil and spread a decent amount of seed 👍 if it's a very wet patch you could do a top soil/sand mix but make sure it's a fairly coarse sand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic