You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non Irish born fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Always surprised to see hardened Unionists (DUP,TUV or Orangeman) seem to be happy enough to come down and support the Irish rugby team in LR.
That's because until recently at least, rugby in Ireland was seen as a cultural and social, even class, matter, with little or none of the political baggage which infected so much of the rest of Irish life. It was helped too by the fact that Ulster/NI was for long a (the?) powerhouse of the game within Ireland.

And you shouldn't imagine that such people represent a majority of the Unionist population. When you count the numbers of Unionists who don't vote for the DUP, or don't vote at all, they outnumber those who do. And even for those who do vote DUP, many do so solely in order to keep "Themmuns" out, rather than because they're Bible-bashing, anti-gay bigots etc. (It's like not assuming that every SF voter is a Provo-loving terrorist sympathiser, even if the candidates who receive their vote may be)

Meanwhile, the TUV only receives a pitiful vote these days, which I predict will disappear entirely when Allister snuffs it.

As for the OO, no-one knows for certain how many members it has, since they don't publish the figures (curiously enough), but reliable estimates suggest that it is now down to fewer than 25k, which as a percentage of the PUL community of 1m, represents 2-3% at most.

And all of that is before you consider the make-up of northern rugby fans themselves. For rugby itself is very much a minority activity in NI, confined mostly to middle class, grammar school types from affluent areas East of the Bann.

All of which means that your observation, even if accurate, isn't very representative of very much at all.

Like a lot of your comments on NI, as it happens.

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Move away from sports and they'd see Ireland as a foreign country.
I think you mean the "Irish Republic", rather than "Ireland", which confusion actually goes to the heart of the matter.

For when rugby fans from NI looked on their game, they always saw it purely in sporting, social and cultural terms. Therefore they could happily park their personal political preferences for 80 minutes at Lansdowne and get behind their team.

But I use the past tense, because many are increasingly uneasy with what they see as the growing process whereby the "Ireland" (i.e. island) team is now just becoming the "ROI team with a couple of added Prods".

This was brought sharply into focus when LR was closed and Ireland decided to play Italy at Ravenhill a few years back, thus raising the thorny issue of the anthem.

Traditionally, when the team played home games in Dublin, the SS was always played, but when playing at home in Belfast, it was supposed to be GSTQ. Sometime in the 50's, however, some Southern players refused to come out of the dressing room until GSTQ was over as a protest. However the IRFU was able to duck the issue since they stopped playing at Ravenhill around then anyhow, meaning the fiction of "2 anthems in 2 jurisdictions" could be maintained.

Then the Italy match unexpectedly arose. Now this should have been the ideal pretext for doing away with all political anthems entirely and  in future simply sticking with a neutral tune to which all could adhere, Ireland's Call being the obvious choice.

But no, by a feat of contortion to do a gymnast proud, they decided that this was being played "outside Ireland" [sic]], meaning the protocol for away games would be followed. And that protocol demands (surprise surprise) that only Ireland's Call be played!

For a number of rugby fans in NI, that proved to be the last straw and they stopped following the team as before. Meanwhile for others, traditional allegiances and friendships still prevail, and/or their love for the game means that they don't want to be left completely without any international team to follow, so they just grin and bear it. Either way, many are unhappy.

Moreover, those few Ulster players who do now get picked for the team are unable to repeat the earlier protest by the men of Munster and Leinster, since the game is now professional. Which means they'd be putting their livelihood on the line, rather  than just having 3 or 4 extra Saturdays free to attend to the farm etc.

Meaning that the IRFU now clearly doesn't give a fcuk. Worse still, it doesn't see why it should have to so long as LR is filled every game, which it is.

You’re suggesting that three or four Ulster players have an issue with the Irish anthem, but put up with it to benefit their careers. That’s just pure speculation on your part. Indeed, recent comments from Rory Best and his autobiography suggest otherwise. He actually spoke about how much he enjoyed the anthem.

Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:21pm
Okay Terri, at Ravenhill against Italy, what were they supposed to do?
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

said it once and ill say it again, it is literally mind boggling that someone would spend this much time and effort on a forum of a team they dont support getting so granular into these arguments, its just incredibly pathetic in my opinion! frankly its sad, i honestly cant imagine doing this for years on end

This.. Its that bad I and others I suspect, just skip past his drivel. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

"State of denial" coming from someone that calls N.I. a country ffs LOL 

So England, Scotland and Wales don't exist either? Try telling that to 64m of my fellow Britons then, and let me know how you get on!

Genuine question: I’m confused when I hear Norn Iron folks refer to themselves as British. Britain is an island, Ireland is an island. If you are from the island of Britain you are British, if you are from the island of Ireland you are Irish. 

Are you referring to “fellow Britons” because of your ethnic background (you can trace ancestors back to somewhere in Britain) or because you are part of the United Kingdom?

Obviously a controversial topic.  NI born Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland can choose British or Irish nationality.  

Some extreme Loyalists would support England over Northern Ireland in football.  Not too comfortable with green shirts and a Celtic Cross on the badge.  

Many now actually consider themselves Northern Irish eg Rory McIlroy.  

However I suspect the vast vast majority of our fans from north of the border just consider themselves Irish.  

I can't think of any Loyalist, no matter how extreme, that would support England over NI. Loyalists are a funny bunch, it's often been remarked how despite their superficial dedication to Britishness, their actual commitment to the British state and it's rules is rather flimsy. Really, their "Loyalty" is more rooted in Royalism and Protestantism, both of which are embodied more fully by NI's support base than England's.

I’m aware of quite a few who would support England over the North, one person in my work for example would never wear anything green.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

said it once and ill say it again, it is literally mind boggling that someone would spend this much time and effort on a forum of a team they dont support getting so granular into these arguments, its just incredibly pathetic in my opinion! frankly its sad, i honestly cant imagine doing this for years on end

Having territorial on this forum shouldn't be a point of contention, I dont care much for his political commentary or views on 'what is ireland'

However, let's not live in an echo chamber where we just look to agree with each other, some of his posts can be an interesting perspective from the point of view other may not have considered. 

For me @Territorial, I appreciate your contributing efforts to this forum even if I disagree with them.

Saying that territorial - posts are a bit wordy sometimes... it's a football forum, we're not defining the rights of man.. LOL
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:42pm

No one denies N.I. exists. It's a statelet/part of the British state of the United Kingdom just as the rest of our country (Ireland) and India etc etc was previously part of the British state. India was still India, it's own country and nation just as Ireland was and is to this day.  

If the UK countries applied to join UEFA nowadays then they wouldn't be left in. It's why Jersey was refused. UEFA now only let's real countries join. 

Edited by Jackal - 01 Apr 2020 at 6:43pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:43pm
I agree about having fans of the north on here, there was one called Floreat Ultonia who was great, but Terri is a twat. I think it has to be a Sir Alex type stunt. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:26pm

I've answered your points in the quoted text.
It seems most if our disagreement or misunderstanding stems from terminology and language, even semantics. Agree

Either way I don't care - coming from Northern Ireland I am able to enjoy the benefits of both Britishness and Irishness, with the added bonus of having my own wee football team to support.

Moreover, there will be no change to any of that unless/until a majority of my fellow Northern Irish folk so will it - and I don't see that changing in my lifetime:

Here's a hypothetical for you. The Treaty has been signed and most of the counties of Leinster are now under British rule. The new jurisdiction (we'll avoid using state & country) is now called Eastern Ireland. I'm assuming you consider yourself 'Northern Irish' as a nationality if Northern Ireland is your country. It's almost a century later. I'm aware you consider yourself both Irish and British but would you also be on here defining your nationality as Eastern Irish?
I'm not sure I quite follow. But if your scenario meant that I was now a citizen of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Eastern Ireland", then I guess I'd be happy to describe myself as "Eastern Irish" - at least if I could still have an "Eastern Ireland" football team to support! Fair enough. 

Btw, would Donegal folk object to their being described as "northern Irish"?  They certainly would unless they're from Rossnawlagh. LOL

I'm from the West of Ireland. I think I'd be getting some strange looks if I was in someone else's country defining my nationality as Western Irish if most of Connacht was under British rule and I was an Irish Unionist like yourself. 
If you're from the Wesht, then you should be used to getting strange looks - and that's even before they learn you're also a Man Utd fan!  

Anyway we'll go back to topic. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

No one denies N.I. exists. It's a statelet/part of the British state of the United Kingdom just as the rest of our country (Ireland) and India etc etc was previously part of the British state. India was still India, it's own country and nation just as Ireland was and is to this day.  

If the UK countries applied to join UEFA nowadays then they wouldn't be left in. It's why Jersey was refused. UEFA now only let's real countries join. 

Gibraltar? 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Gibraltar? 
It was passed after them. The rule now is like Pointless, they have to be a UN member. The ones that got anyway with it were the UK countries, Gibraltar, Kosovo and the Faroes. Greenland now has to apply to join the North American group. I don't think Jersey really wanted an international team but wanted their league to be part of the Champions League qualifiers.

Edited by Jackal - 01 Apr 2020 at 9:47pm
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Having territorial on this forum shouldn't be a point of contention, I dont care much for his political commentary or views on 'what is ireland'

However, let's not live in an echo chamber where we just look to agree with each other, some of his posts can be an interesting perspective from the point of view other may not have considered. 

For me @Territorial, I appreciate your contributing efforts to this forum even if I disagree with them.

Saying that territorial - posts are a bit wordy sometimes... it's a football forum, we're not defining the rights of man.. LOL

Fully agree, Left foot.

A forum should be able to facilitate different opinions.  The OWC forum is an obvious exception.  Terri makes reasonable points and its refreshing to have a different perspective.

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:24am
Agreed! Absolute sh*te talk about people's ethnic beliefs.

This is a football forum about the Republic of Ireland, move on lads
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Ah come on now, ye got to admit he loves an argument, give ye a clue its in his name! Furthermore when in that argument it's like splitting the atom. He' gives not an inch, again I wonder why.. Why use 50 words when 500 will doWink

There's been other left footers( see what I did there) join the forum and where sound. 100% agree they bring something different and a bit of colour. Union floreat, was it? And a few others over the years. I've no problem with this and believe it should be encouraged, not like this place is the taliban, owc, or such. 

You may find his posts, interesting. Good for you, and others may do also. I don't, in fact clogging up thread after thread with minute detail whilst of on a tangent, I find a bit cumbersome. 

RE his politics as you brought it up, I find it amusing that a 60+ yr old man can't decide what he is. An Irish man, from the North, a tan, brit or whatever. Say he's more passports than Jason Bourne.  Ye get the I'm entitled to blah blah line 

The lack of football has really brought us to this point, where we're discussing this. Dear lord. Cabin fever must be setting in for us all!! 

Edited by cardwizzard - 02 Apr 2020 at 10:01am
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

You’re suggesting that three or four Ulster players have an issue with the Irish anthem, but put up with it to benefit their careers. That’s just pure speculation on your part. Indeed, recent comments from Rory Best and his autobiography suggest otherwise. He actually spoke about how much he enjoyed the anthem.
Not quite.

I'm saying that if any Ulster player did have an issue, like the Munster players had previously with GSTQ, then they'd be risking a helluva sight more by protesting. Which is why the IRFU was able to ride roughshod over the rules by declaring that Belfast was "outside Ireland". Confused

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Simple.

Take the opportunity to dispense with political anthems entirely and replace them with a purely sporting one.

It's a simple matter of respect and would avoid the ridiculous situation whereby they have to declare that a match in Belfast is being staged "outside Ireland".

It would also avoid the unnecessarily prolonged pre-match formalities at Lansdowne, whereby they play the Soldiers Song and Ireland's Call.

So that when playing NZ, by the time you get through the haka and their anthem, the formalities last nearly as long as the match!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:11pm

You don't understand how these things work (and it's FIFA who need to be satisfied, not the Confederations).

Anyhow, FIFA doesn't recognise countries/states/nations/call-them-what-you-like.

Instead they recognise Associations. Which is why they have 211 Members, while the UN has only 193.

Now it is true that recently that they introduced a rule requiring new members also to be UN members, but that was only to exclude a few micro-applicants like Jersey or Greenland etc.

But if the four British Associations had to re-apply, then you could be damned sure they'd find a way of letting us in, if only for political reasons. In the same way as eg they've admitted non-UN members like Kosovo and Palestine, or still retain Hong Kong and Macao even after those territories reverted to China.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:28pm

Simple.

Take the opportunity to dispense with political anthems entirely and replace them with a purely sporting one.

It's a simple matter of respect and would avoid the ridiculous situation whereby they have to declare that a match in Belfast is being staged "outside Ireland".

It would also avoid the unnecessarily prolonged pre-match formalities at Lansdowne, whereby they play the Soldiers Song and Ireland's Call.

So that when playing NZ, by the time you get through the haka and their anthem, the formalities last nearly as long as the match!

Terri, it’s not that simple. The convention relates to home and away games. In my eyes, if it was treated as a home game, as it should have been, you play the two anthems as in Dublin. And there isn’t any reason in the world,  not least it being something dispensed with years ago that would give rise to GSTQ at an Irish game. So it was either use the Dublin convention, or use the pre-existing convention about “away” fixtures.

I’m not worried about the negligible prolongation of pre match formalities. You are either singing a chorus of one song, or one verse and a chorus of another. Combining the two adds little or no time to formalities, which would be spent waiting for the appointed kick off anyway. At worst, you could look on it as passing the time.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 4:27pm

Terri, it’s not that simple. The convention relates to home and away games. In my eyes, if it was treated as a home game, as it should have been, you play the two anthems as in Dublin. And there isn’t any reason in the world,  not least it being something dispensed with years ago that would give rise to GSTQ at an Irish game. So it was either use the Dublin convention, or use the pre-existing convention about “away” fixtures.
There were two conventions in existence, neither of which was thought suitable for this particular game.

So instead of taking the opportunity to adopt a new convention, they basically frigged the system to somehow make one convention "fit", in the process implying that rugby fans from NI aren't really "Irish". Can't you see that as well as being dishonest, it was also offensive to those fans from NI who have always respected the Republic's anthem in Dublin down the years?

Remember, too, that those two conventions were themselves modifcations of what had existed previously, so that if they could change them once, they could just as surely change them again.

Or what objection do you have (musicological reasons aside!), to simply playing Ireland's Call before Ireland's rugby games?

Edited by Territorial - 02 Apr 2020 at 4:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic