Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non Irish born fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

"State of denial" coming from someone that calls N.I. a country ffs LOL 

So England, Scotland and Wales don't exist either? Try telling that to 64m of my fellow Britons then, and let me know how you get on! Both Wales and Scotland are countries, nations and distinct nationalities but not states. Comparing a part of this country with them under the British state is absurd. 

No one denies N.I. exists.
Try telling that to some of your fellow countrymen and women then, since it's they who have the problem, not me. N.I. exists as a political construct within Ireland. It is a part of the British state. It is not a country, nation or distinct nationality the way Scotland and Wales are. 

It's a statelet/part of the British state of the United Kingdom just as the rest of our country (Ireland) and India etc etc was previously part of the British state. India was still India, it's own country and nation just as Ireland was and is to this day.  
Just when you looked to be making progress, then you stumble. 

You see, the geographical landmass which is modern day India always existed, but not as a single, political entity. My own knowledge is sketchy, but afaik it was a constantly changing collection of princely states and invading empires and colonies, with differing religions, ethnic groups and languages, sometimes at war with each other, at other times co-operating and merging. Again you're conflating political entities such as states with countries and nations. I don't view the actual modern 26 county state of Ireland as the entirety of my country. 

It may even only ever have existed as a recognisably unitary state under the British. You know, just like Ireland Wink  Again you're conflating political entities such as states with countries and nations.

Meanwhile, the "India" which got it's independence in 1948 itself divided into India and Pakistan, with the latter further sub-dividing to produce Bangladesh. And again

So just as your idea of a single "India" is not sustainable by reference either to the past or the present, then your insistence on a single Ireland (state, not island) is no more ordained, inevitable or immutable. And again LOL I agree that The entirety of Ireland has never been a state, it's a country. 

We exist, we've existed for all but a century, and we're quite capable of continuing to exist as long as you or I or anyone else living can foresee: Unfortunately we're in agreement here. 

(And to take this back to football) All that being so, there are two international football teams in Ireland, with everyone free to support either, neither or both, as they please.

I've answered your points in the quoted text. 

Here's a hypothetical for you. The Treaty has been signed and most of the counties of Leinster are now under British rule. The new jurisdiction (we'll avoid using state & country) is now called Eastern Ireland. I'm assuming you consider yourself 'Northern Irish' as a nationality if Northern Ireland is your country. It's almost a century later. I'm aware you consider yourself both Irish and British but would you also be on here defining your nationality as Eastern Irish? 

I'm from the West of Ireland. I think I'd be getting some strange looks if I was in someone else's country defining my nationality as Western Irish if most of Connacht was under British rule and I was an Irish Unionist like yourself. 

Edited by irishmufc - 01 Apr 2020 at 10:51am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

So England, Scotland and Wales don't exist either? Try telling that to 64m of my fellow Britons then, and let me know how you get on!

Genuine question: I’m confused when I hear Norn Iron folks refer to themselves as British. Britain is an island, Ireland is an island. If you are from the island of Britain you are British, if you are from the island of Ireland you are Irish. 

Are you referring to “fellow Britons” because of your ethnic background (you can trace ancestors back to somewhere in Britain) or because you are part of the United Kingdom?

Obviously a controversial topic.  NI born Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland can choose British or Irish nationality.  

Some extreme Loyalists would support England over Northern Ireland in football.  Not too comfortable with green shirts and a Celtic Cross on the badge.  

Many now actually consider themselves Northern Irish eg Rory McIlroy.  

However I suspect the vast vast majority of our fans from north of the border just consider themselves Irish.  
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:24am
Always surprised to see hardened Unionists (DUP,TUV or Orangeman) seem to be happy enough to come down and support the Irish rugby team in LR.

Move away from sports and they'd see Ireland as a foreign country.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

That sounds like a plan LOL
With the few quid we saved on the away trips, more than a planThumbs Up
The money being saved at the moment, if we are still fortunate to have it coming in, means this could be a tremendous idea. What could possibly go wrong?LOL
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

So England, Scotland and Wales don't exist either? Try telling that to 64m of my fellow Britons then, and let me know how you get on!

Genuine question: I’m confused when I hear Norn Iron folks refer to themselves as British. Britain is an island, Ireland is an island. If you are from the island of Britain you are British, if you are from the island of Ireland you are Irish. 

Are you referring to “fellow Britons” because of your ethnic background (you can trace ancestors back to somewhere in Britain) or because you are part of the United Kingdom?

Obviously a controversial topic.  NI born Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland can choose British or Irish nationality.  

Some extreme Loyalists would support England over Northern Ireland in football.  Not too comfortable with green shirts and a Celtic Cross on the badge.  

However I suspect the vast vast majority of our fans from north of the border just consider themselves Irish.  

I can't think of any Loyalist, no matter how extreme, that would support England over NI. Loyalists are a funny bunch, it's often been remarked how despite their superficial dedication to Britishness, their actual commitment to the British state and it's rules is rather flimsy. Really, their "Loyalty" is more rooted in Royalism and Protestantism, both of which are embodied more fully by NI's support base than England's.
We're decent enough..
craiglen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craiglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Thanks Bri. All well and healthy and that's the main concern. One of our regulars was actually in IC for 2 weeks with Corona. Early 50's. He's on the mend now, but it was touch and go. Goes to show how close to.home it can hit. 

And let's hope we can have a bash here after! Big smile

Would be absolutely all over a massive session in Molly's
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:41pm

Genuine question: I’m confused when I hear Norn Iron folks refer to themselves as British. Britain is an island, Ireland is an island
There is no island called "Britain".

The island comprising England, Scotland and Wales is properly known as "Great Britain" and has been since Norman times (if not earlier), originally to distinguish it from the other, smaller "Britain" i.e. Brittany. ("great" as in "large").

And whilst we're on the subject, Great Britain and the various other islands on the archipelago - Man, Shetland, Hebrides, Ireland etc - are collectively known as "The British Isles". Now I expect that many posters on here object to that, but hey ho, what can they do. LOL 

If you are from the island of Britain you are British, if you are from the island of Ireland you are Irish.
I am Irish, because I was born in Ireland (island) - it's obvious the moment I open my mouth! This is a geographical and cultural description and I am entirely at ease with it. Indeed I would say I'm proud of it - if that's not being immodest about something over which I had no control.

But as a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, I am also British - it's on my passport after all! I am equally proud of that.

Meanwhile I only use the term "British" because to describe myself as "United Kingdomish" would sound a bit silly. (It's a bit like eg citizens of the Kingdom of the Netherlands routinely calling themselves "Dutch", rather than "Netherlandish").

I see no contradiction in any of this, since each designation refers to something different i.e. culture/geography versus nationality/politics. Indeed I consider myself lucky to be able to embrace both, all under the label of "Northern Irish" - my preferred designation.

All that said, I have no objection to other people from NI classifying themselves solely as "British" or "Irish", so long as they don't in turn demand that I adopt their particular choice too. (Unfortunately far too many do, on both sides).

For me it's the latter, although as it happens, my ancestral background seems to date mostly back to Scotland.

Edited by Territorial - 01 Apr 2020 at 3:49pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:16pm

I've answered your points in the quoted text.
It seems most if our disagreement or misunderstanding stems from terminology and language, even semantics.

Either way I don't care - coming from Northern Ireland I am able to enjoy the benefits of both Britishness and Irishness, with the added bonus of having my own wee football team to support.

Moreover, there will be no change to any of that unless/until a majority of my fellow Northern Irish folk so will it - and I don't see that changing in my lifetime:
https://www.irishpost.com/news/less-30-northern-irish-people-vote-united-ireland-179760

Here's a hypothetical for you. The Treaty has been signed and most of the counties of Leinster are now under British rule. The new jurisdiction (we'll avoid using state & country) is now called Eastern Ireland. I'm assuming you consider yourself 'Northern Irish' as a nationality if Northern Ireland is your country. It's almost a century later. I'm aware you consider yourself both Irish and British but would you also be on here defining your nationality as Eastern Irish?
I'm not sure I quite follow. But if your scenario meant that I was now a citizen of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Eastern Ireland", then I guess I'd be happy to describe myself as "Eastern Irish" - at least if I could still have an "Eastern Ireland" football team to support!

Btw, would Donegal folk object to their being described as "northern Irish"?

I'm from the West of Ireland. I think I'd be getting some strange looks if I was in someone else's country defining my nationality as Western Irish if most of Connacht was under British rule and I was an Irish Unionist like yourself. 
If you're from the Wesht, then you should be used to getting strange looks - and that's even before they learn you're also a Man Utd fan! LOL
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:27pm
said it once and ill say it again, it is literally mind boggling that someone would spend this much time and effort on a forum of a team they dont support getting so granular into these arguments, its just incredibly pathetic in my opinion! frankly its sad, i honestly cant imagine doing this for years on end

Edited by amccarten313 - 01 Apr 2020 at 4:27pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:33pm
I wouldn't mind having a go on OWC tbf, but unfortunately, they don't let Taigs in! LOL
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:34pm

NI born Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland can choose British or Irish nationality.  

Or both.

Yep, and if you see them sans England shirt, you can still recognise them by the fact their penis is on their forehead, not their groin. Billy Hutchinson was/is one notable example, most prominently at the time of that game in 2005.

That said, like eg a white (i.e. albino) blackbird, their novelty value meant they got far more attention than their numbers deserved.  And I suspect that with the NI team being pretty crap at the same time as England being OK (just), it was a bit like people choosing to support eg Liverpool, Leeds or Man United because they were the most successful team of the moment, rather than because they had some particular connection. (As a Spurs fan, no-one can accuse me of Glory Hunting!).

Anyhow, from what I can see, they're pretty much an endangered species these days, possibly because everytime they go to reproduce, it's not only the women who get a headache Wink

Yep.

Yep again, a process made easier in football terms during the period when ROI were going great guns and NI were crap.

(I say made "easier", since I imagine that wasn't the only, or even the predominant, factor)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

said it once and ill say it again, it is literally mind boggling that someone would spend this much time and effort on a forum of a team they dont support getting so granular into these arguments, its just incredibly pathetic in my opinion! frankly its sad, i honestly cant imagine doing this for years on end

+1

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:39pm

Mind boggling doesn't even begin to cover it. Same points repeated ad nauseum. Countless threads. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:40pm
+2
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:55pm
Lads FFS it's Black '47 outside...the testing kits have gone missing.

Can we not all break bread??

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

+1

Taking over for Hans Wink exact same type of dumbf**kery
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Always surprised to see hardened Unionists (DUP,TUV or Orangeman) seem to be happy enough to come down and support the Irish rugby team in LR.
That's because until recently at least, rugby in Ireland was seen as a cultural and social, even class, matter, with little or none of the political baggage which infected so much of the rest of Irish life. It was helped too by the fact that Ulster/NI was for long a (the?) powerhouse of the game within Ireland.

And you shouldn't imagine that such people represent a majority of the Unionist population. When you count the numbers of Unionists who don't vote for the DUP, or don't vote at all, they outnumber those who do. And even for those who do vote DUP, many do so solely in order to keep "Themmuns" out, rather than because they're Bible-bashing, anti-gay bigots etc. (It's like not assuming that every SF voter is a Provo-loving terrorist sympathiser, even if the candidates who receive their vote may be)

Meanwhile, the TUV only receives a pitiful vote these days, which I predict will disappear entirely when Allister snuffs it.

As for the OO, no-one knows for certain how many members it has, since they don't publish the figures (curiously enough), but reliable estimates suggest that it is now down to fewer than 25k, which as a percentage of the PUL community of 1m, represents 2-3% at most.

And all of that is before you consider the make-up of northern rugby fans themselves. For rugby itself is very much a minority activity in NI, confined mostly to middle class, grammar school types from affluent areas East of the Bann.

All of which means that your observation, even if accurate, isn't very representative of very much at all.

Like a lot of your comments on NI, as it happens.

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Move away from sports and they'd see Ireland as a foreign country.
I think you mean the "Irish Republic", rather than "Ireland", which confusion actually goes to the heart of the matter.

For when rugby fans from NI looked on their game, they always saw it purely in sporting, social and cultural terms. Therefore they could happily park their personal political preferences for 80 minutes at Lansdowne and get behind their team.

But I use the past tense, because many are increasingly uneasy with what they see as the growing process whereby the "Ireland" (i.e. island) team is now just becoming the "ROI team with a couple of added Prods".

This was brought sharply into focus when LR was closed and Ireland decided to play Italy at Ravenhill a few years back, thus raising the thorny issue of the anthem.

Traditionally, when the team played home games in Dublin, the SS was always played, but when playing at home in Belfast, it was supposed to be GSTQ. Sometime in the 50's, however, some Southern players refused to come out of the dressing room until GSTQ was over as a protest. However the IRFU was able to duck the issue since they stopped playing at Ravenhill around then anyhow, meaning the fiction of "2 anthems in 2 jurisdictions" could be maintained.

Then the Italy match unexpectedly arose. Now this should have been the ideal pretext for doing away with all political anthems entirely and  in future simply sticking with a neutral tune to which all could adhere, Ireland's Call being the obvious choice.

But no, by a feat of contortion to do a gymnast proud, they decided that this was being played "outside Ireland" [sic]], meaning the protocol for away games would be followed. And that protocol demands (surprise surprise) that only Ireland's Call be played!

For a number of rugby fans in NI, that proved to be the last straw and they stopped following the team as before. Meanwhile for others, traditional allegiances and friendships still prevail, and/or their love for the game means that they don't want to be left completely without any international team to follow, so they just grin and bear it. Either way, many are unhappy.

Moreover, those few Ulster players who do now get picked for the team are unable to repeat the earlier protest by the men of Munster and Leinster, since the game is now professional. Which means they'd be putting their livelihood on the line, rather  than just having 3 or 4 extra Saturdays free to attend to the farm etc.

Meaning that the IRFU now clearly doesn't give a fcuk. Worse still, it doesn't see why it should have to so long as LR is filled every game, which it is.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:07pm
Here you go Terence - here
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic