Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non Irish born fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Yes, it's pretty bizarre. He made his debut for Ireland in 1981 but was then ditched by them because they discovered he had previously represented England at semi-pro level. They changed their minds a couple of years later as the then manager Eoin Hand rated him and he won some more caps. He wrote a book about his career which I haven't read-last I heard he was back at Everton working for them in some capacity after living in Villamoura for some years. I remember him as a player as I was working and living in Liverpool when he signed for Everton. He played upfront with a guy called Imre Varadi, they both had real pace and were good but the Everton team under Gordon Lee at the time was poor overall.
His Wikipedia page was busier than normal today. I recognise some of that! 

The Saudi story is mad, even if none of it is probably true!
Sponsored Links

Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 11:54pm
Does anybody on here have folks from different counties in Ireland?               Sort of reminds me of my childhood all this...I was brought up in Dublin but all my Dad's side were Kerry, my relation Ger Power won the All Ireland with Kerry.

I was brought to Croke Park by my uncles to watch Kerry but when Dublin came good Barney Rock and Charlie Redmond etc came along I started supporting Dublin my home county... it just felt right.

I've relations in York, England but they all support Leeds Utd and England, Ireland is their second team.

But have met plenty of lads on the road from all over wearing the green, best example was the night on the KOP in 1995, so many sons and daughters of Irish who'd left the Emerald Isle.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 12:07am
Yeah, I grew up in Bessbrook ( Co. Armagh ) where my father was from, my mother was from Stabannon ( Co. Louth) and we had relatives there as well as in Dundalk and Ardee. It was possible to avoid the border checkpoints that existed then by using so-called unapproved roads when going back and forth. Gaelic football was bigger than soccer where I lived and I had a couple of cousins who played for Armagh, they were in the 1977 all-Ireland final team.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Gordon Lee had a similar conversation in the late 70s with Eamonn O'Keefe, his centre forward at Everton , who didn't think he was eligible. Turned out he was and he went on to play for Ireland.

O’keefe didn’t know he was eligible to play for us even though his father was Irish????
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 12:23am
Maybe he thought his appearance for England at semi-pro level would render him ineligible.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 12:30am
O Keeffe was top scorer in the prestigious Toulon tournament representing the ROI in 1984 or thereabouts. Remember him playing against Wales in a 3-1 defeat at Tolka. Barrel chested energetic type of player.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 12:43am
O'Keefe played up front against England @ Wembley in friendly in 1985, was at Port Vale at the time.

Lineker scored in a 2-1 victory for them; Brady scored for us I do believe.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

O'Keefe played up front against England @ Wembley in friendly in 1985, was at Port Vale at the time.

Seem to remember we had a few injuries that night, keeper McDonagh ? and either Lawrenson or O’Leary went off too. Bad night we were terrible. Talking earlier to friends on whatsapp about the 1-1 draw in 76 when we should have hammered them. Heighway tore then apart. Giles, Brady and Daly ran the midfield.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 4:04am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Seem to remember we had a few injuries that night, keeper McDonagh ? and either Lawrenson or O’Leary went off too. Bad night we were terrible. Talking earlier to friends on whatsapp about the 1-1 draw in 76 when we should have hammered them. Heighway tore then apart. Giles, Brady and Daly ran the midfield.
Was at the game, NF destroyed us behind the Goal, Police were afraid to intervene, left before the final whistle
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

A lot of the guys i meet up with on away trips are non LOLIrish born, Newry,Burnley Watford, Donegal, Waterford, all sound though........and Cork

Tut tut tut young Brianie , i was born in Drogheda Big smile

So you lean something new everyday as they say . Hug
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
George Zip View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Zip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 2:39pm

Was at the game, NF destroyed us behind the Goal, Police were afraid to intervene, left before the final whistle

Remember seeing this documentary on the 80s (see link about 24 mins in) and wondering are they Irish Fans?
I had a couple of older cousins at the game and they said it was mental. If they are Irish it looks like they more than held there own.
Ps. There is no sound on the video.

https://youtu.be/Se9qdComijU
"Tell them to get out there and give it all they got and win just one for the Zipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Doc," he said, "but I won't smell too good, that's for sure."
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 5:08pm

The Irish fans (my guess would be around 3,000) were in the lower terrace at the west end of Wembley, a group of around 1,000 England hooligans formed behind us on the upper tier.
One England fan walked down to the Ireland fans and was beaten unconscious and had his life saved by the police who carried him out of there, the police then formed a wall between both sets of fans for the rest of the game.
Delfor Mullin View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfor Mullin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:12pm
¡Mis saludos! Me inscribo por la cuarentena, estoy traduciendo con mi sobrino lo que ustedes dicen, mi abuelo era según decía de la provincia de Connacht y que vino en el 1900 a trabajar al ferrocarril a la zona de Haedo/Hurligham y por zona Wilde en el tren Gral Roca hacia Mar del Plata, también el abuelo Josecito trabajó en el subterráneo A de Buenos Aires. 
¡Que Viva el fútbol irlandés!  Boca, el equipo más famoso del mundo junto con los españoles y los italianos, tiene sus tradicionales colores azúl y amarillo por la elección de un maestro de escuela irlandés también.  Tengo Ferreterías y muchos recuerdos de mi lado irlandés.  Mis grandes saludos.  Chau. Delfor Mullin.  Haedo.
tbmcm15 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tbmcm15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:06am
I'm in the Boston area of the US, and I've been following Ireland for 6 years now. Wish it was longer. My father has Irish ancestry on both sides. His grandmother was from Cork. His father's grandparents were from Cavan and Cork, and his mother's grandparents were from Sligo and Waterford. 
Funnily enough, my dad moved us to Ireland after his company (he's an accountant) asked him to work in its Dublin office from late 2002 to summer 2006. I was almost 10 when we moved back to Boston.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch many matches alongside Irish people. The only exception was the qualifier against Serbia a few years ago, because the pub was close to my college. I did watch the All-Ireland Gaelic Football Final at The Banshee Pub last September though. Enjoyed that tremendously. Come on You Boys in Green!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by tbmcm15 tbmcm15 wrote:

I'm in the Boston area of the US, and I've been following Ireland for 6 years now. Wish it was longer. My father has Irish ancestry on both sides. His grandmother was from Cork. His father's grandparents were from Cavan and Cork, and his mother's grandparents were from Sligo and Waterford. 
Funnily enough, my dad moved us to Ireland after his company (he's an accountant) asked him to work in its Dublin office from late 2002 to summer 2006. I was almost 10 when we moved back to Boston.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch many matches alongside Irish people. The only exception was the qualifier against Serbia a few years ago, because the pub was close to my college. I did watch the All-Ireland Gaelic Football Final at The Banshee Pub last September though. Enjoyed that tremendously. Come on You Boys in Green!

Well played tbmcm15, keep those roots alive 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by tbmcm15 tbmcm15 wrote:

Well played tbmcm15, keep those roots alive 

I’m in Brighton, tbmcm. Up for watching a game when all this sh*t dies down
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
tbmcm15 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbmcm15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 7:25pm
Sounds great, DeclanDaly! I'm in Canton but could always come up. My dad might even be willing to stay too, depending on the time and day.
Whelan88 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whelan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 4:07am
New poster here, born and raised in NW London but Kerry parentage, anyone noticed that the Irish born who view you as 'the offspring of Irish parents, like myself' tend to be far nicer, sounder and more intelligent folk (more quintessentially Irish in character and personality) than the 'nativist islander' type, most of whom tend to be particularly foul odious strain of Dubliner. 

How can someone be arrogant about where they were born? Did they choose it as a fetus? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic