You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non Irish born fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 1:16pm
Was talking to 2 fans before the Ireland/Croatia game in Poznan 2012 - one Irish fan and one Croatian Fan. The Irish fan had a Manc accent and the Croatian fan had an Aussie accent.
Home is where the Heart is........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 3:13pm
American with Irish grandparents.. always been an Ireland supporter
Pubes View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:09pm
Hate this question. It's like asking are there any dublin born fans!

We are all irish, the whole island.
Irish citizens with irish passports, even if we dont step foot outside of derry, newry or belfast in our lives.

Fair enough asking about irish fans from or living abroad, but dont put the north into that category. It's actually quite offensive 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Pubes Pubes wrote:

Fair enough asking about irish fans from or living abroad, but dont put the north into that category. It's actually quite offensive 

Whereas this proud Irishman finds it offensive (well, more irritating actually) when people use the term "Ireland" when they mean not the island, but rather the Irish Republic.

Ditto when those same people protest that we should use "Ireland" for the state on the basis that it is the official name, yet refuse to use the name "Northern Ireland", despite that also being an official name.

And as for going to the trouble of typing out "the north", or "six counties" when a simple "NI" would suffice, that's plain silly imo.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Whereas this proud Irishman finds it offensive (well, more irritating actually) when people use the term "Ireland" when they mean not the island, but rather the Irish Republic.

Ditto when those same people protest that we should use "Ireland" for the state on the basis that it is the official name, yet refuse to use the name "Northern Ireland", despite that also being an official name.

And as for going to the trouble of typing out "the north", or "six counties" when a simple "NI" would suffice, that's plain silly imo.

Not if you are a republican, "NI" is plain silly imo.

Edited by drog addict - 31 Mar 2020 at 4:32pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm
'We are the sh*tes that say NI.'
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Not if you are a republican, "NI" is plain silly imo.

So just because you don't like something, you feel entitled to deny its existence?

I don't like wet weather, but I accept that it rains a lot in Ireland.

Well in the north at least. Wink

Edited by Territorial - 31 Mar 2020 at 4:40pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

'We are the sh*tes that say NI.'

I see where you're coming from.

England.

In the United Kingdom.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:16pm
Northern Ireland a made up country. Big smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

"If I can't see it and can't hear it, then it doesn't exist!"

(Btw, don't forget to breathe out before your head explodes Wink)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:45pm

statelet
/ˈsteɪtlɪt/
noun
a small state, especially one that is closely affiliated to or has emerged from the break-up of a larger state.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:59pm
Amsterdam born. Been supporting Ireland as far back as I remember. 
Irish mum, Dutch dad that both still live in Dublin. Moved back here to start a pub empire Wink
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

statelet
/ˈsteɪtlɪt/
noun
a small state, especially one that is closely affiliated to or has emerged from the break-up of a larger state.

And your state is?

Don't tell me, I think I've got it...

Yes, here it is:

"A state of denial"

Definition:

not having fully accepted something

"Despite it being right on his doorstep, I think he's still in a state of denial about the existence of Northern Ireland."
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:33pm

Hate this question. It's like asking are there any dublin born fans!

We are all irish, the whole island.
Irish citizens with irish passports, even if we dont step foot outside of derry, newry or belfast in our lives.

Never got this myself. I'd say 95% of the support wouldn't bat an eye if your from the North. Think it's more of an inward thing to be honest. Sure when your on an away every county or town gets a bit of stick, if I sl*g a Dub/Cork lad ye got to expect something thrown back.

Derry myself. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:56pm
"State of denial" coming from someone that calls N.I. a country ffs LOL 

No one denies N.I. exists. It's a statelet/part of the British state of the United Kingdom just as the rest of our country (Ireland) and India etc etc was previously part of the British state. India was still India, it's own country and nation just as Ireland was and is to this day.  

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Irish mum, Dutch dad that both still live in Dublin. Moved back here to start a pub empire Wink

SA
Good luck with that Beer
(luckily you had some forward thinking)

Edited by BohsinMunich - 31 Mar 2020 at 7:48pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Just out of curiosity Steve if Ireland were playing the Netherlands, would there be a split loyalty or just 100% hoping Ireland win? I know you support the Netherlands anyway if Ireland isn't involved.  

It's not a test btw LOLWink
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

"State of denial" coming from someone that calls N.I. a country ffs LOL 

So England, Scotland and Wales don't exist either? Try telling that to 64m of my fellow Britons then, and let me know how you get on!

No one denies N.I. exists.
Try telling that to some of your fellow countrymen and women then, since it's they who have the problem, not me.

It's a statelet/part of the British state of the United Kingdom just as the rest of our country (Ireland) and India etc etc was previously part of the British state. India was still India, it's own country and nation just as Ireland was and is to this day.  
Just when you looked to be making progress, then you stumble.

You see, the geographical landmass which is modern day India always existed, but not as a single, political entity. My own knowledge is sketchy, but afaik it was a constantly changing collection of princely states and invading empires and colonies, with differing religions, ethnic groups and languages, sometimes at war with each other, at other times co-operating and merging.

It may even only ever have existed as a recognisably unitary state under the British. You know, just like Ireland Wink

Meanwhile, the "India" which got it's independence in 1948 itself divided into India and Pakistan, with the latter further sub-dividing to produce Bangladesh.

So just as your idea of a single "India" is not sustainable by reference either to the past or the present, then your insistence on a single Ireland (state, not island) is no more ordained, inevitable or immutable.

We exist, we've existed for all but a century, and we're quite capable of continuing to exist as long as you or I or anyone else living can foresee:
https://www.irishpost.com/news/less-30-northern-irish-people-vote-united-ireland-179760

(And to take this back to football) All that being so, there are two international football teams in Ireland, with everyone free to support either, neither or both, as they please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic