You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non Irish born fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

Liverpool has a reputation of being a big Irish descended city over the decades but I think Birmingham is undersold on the scale of how much bigger it was, think I read about 4 times more. Third biggest parade in the world behind Dub & NYC. Give St Patrick's parade Digbeth a Google. Some great pubs in Digeth owned by Irish gaffers still going there I am friends with, Hennesseys, Spotted Dog, Clearys, Nortons.

If you went to a Catholic school in Birmingham, or the West Midlands from say 70s-(twenty)10s, strong strong chance your parents or grandparents would have been Irish. Half of my year at school were Boyles/Doyles/Coyles/Byrnes/Finnegans/Mc's & O's and pretty much any common name in between, just with a Brummie accent. Christ, camogie was in the curriculum to be played at Birmingham council schools for the girls, think it only recently stopped in the last 5 years or so.

The Sacred Heart by Villa Park, recently taken over by Limerick/Donegal crowd but was in the hands of a Roscommon crowd for years and had every county GAA jersey on the walls, great for the Irish descent/Catholic community before games drinking with people you would be either related, worked on jobs or went to school with. Still going now but probably not the same now as back in the day, but by far the best by the ground for me anyhow.

A lot of the Builds & Civil contractor still going in the West Midlands today are owned by Irish fellas that came over on the boat for work in the 40s/50s/60s as young bucks, and built up an empire, or either their sons run it now if they've died... 

When Hitler was heading for Poland, and Paddy, for Holyhead Clap

Have became great mates with a load of Brummie Irish lads, massive villa fans, they actually drink in the Sacred Heart too. But they like yourself have never been in doubt, Irishmen who just happen to be born in England. Met a fella a few years ago Paddy Foy I think was his name, used to run the supporters club in Brum, was it in Erdinton maybe? Can’t really remember. Don’t think he goes to the matches anymore for health reasons someone mentioned, but a good few who were in that club still go. 
Sponsored Links

Skripi91 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skripi91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:59pm
Non Irish born fans?

Well then, greetings from Zirndorf, Germany Smile

It may sound a bit funny but the reason I´m such a big Ireland fan is Eddie Irvine.
He was (and still is) my absolute favourite Formula One driver since I was a little child.
I Know Eddie is from Northern Ireland, but in all german sport magazines, he was always shown with the flag of the Republic and it was always mentioned he is from the Republic.

So, for me as a little child, it was quite simple, Eddie is from Ireland, I like Ireland.

Over the years I started to inform myself about the Republic, about the country, the people, traditions, sports and so on.

And I also started to support the Irish national football team and I´m still supporting them!
I was the only german person which was freaking happy when at WC 2002 Robbie scored the euqualizer against Germany, I guess. LOL

The Euros gonna hear the Irish ROAR
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Liverpool has a reputation of being a big Irish descended city over the decades but I think Birmingham is undersold on the scale of how much bigger it was, think I read about 4 times more. Third biggest parade in the world behind Dub & NYC. Give St Patrick's parade Digbeth a Google. Some great pubs in Digeth owned by Irish gaffers still going there I am friends with, Hennesseys, Spotted Dog, Clearys, Nortons.

If you went to a Catholic school in Birmingham, or the West Midlands from say 70s-(twenty)10s, strong strong chance your parents or grandparents would have been Irish. Half of my year at school were Boyles/Doyles/Coyles/Byrnes/Finnegans/Mc's & O's and pretty much any common name in between, just with a Brummie accent. Christ, camogie was in the curriculum to be played at Birmingham council schools for the girls, think it only recently stopped in the last 5 years or so.

The Sacred Heart by Villa Park, recently taken over by Limerick/Donegal crowd but was in the hands of a Roscommon crowd for years and had every county GAA jersey on the walls, great for the Irish descent/Catholic community before games drinking with people you would be either related, worked on jobs or went to school with. Still going now but probably not the same now as back in the day, but by far the best by the ground for me anyhow.

A lot of the Builds & Civil contractor still going in the West Midlands today are owned by Irish fellas that came over on the boat for work in the 40s/50s/60s as young bucks, and built up an empire, or either their sons run it now if they've died... 

Have became great mates with a load of Brummie Irish lads, massive villa fans, they actually drink in the Sacred Heart too. But they like yourself have never been in doubt, Irishmen who just happen to be born in England. Met a fella a few years ago Paddy Foy I think was his name, used to run the supporters club in Brum, was it in Erdinton maybe? Can’t really remember. Don’t think he goes to the matches anymore for health reasons someone mentioned, but a good few who were in that club still go. 

Oh yeh? any Irish surnames/what county, knocking about from Sacred Heart I may recognise? 

PF rings a vague bell, I would def know people that would know him... I'm 27 now so may be a bit older than me? Erdington used to be heavy on Irish, but then again most suburbs in the city did. Irish Bham even has its own slight twang variation from Brummie, if you can imagine. Same with Asian Bham as well, massive emigration for them as well
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 2:57pm
Born and raised in London/Suffolk, but never had any doubt what I was. Always knew where “home” was.

In Boston in the US now and have found it harder to connect with a supporters group over here. Tend to just drift down to the Pheonix, Porter Belly’s or somewhere else if there is a game on and hope they have a feed. With so many options to watch from home, fewer people are going to the pub to watch.

If anybody knows of a group in Boston or Mass, I’m always looking for one.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Born and raised in London/Suffolk, but never had any doubt what I was. Always knew where “home” was.

In Boston in the US now and have found it harder to connect with a supporters group over here. Tend to just drift down to the Pheonix, Porter Belly’s or somewhere else if there is a game on and hope they have a feed. With so many options to watch from home, fewer people are going to the pub to watch.

If anybody knows of a group in Boston or Mass, I’m always looking for one.
I was there last summer for a week, and they're mad to I.D at the bar in Dubhs, got the passport out each time and the punters next to you - OH MY GOD YOURE FROM IRREEEEEELLLLLAAAANNNNNDDDDD? and repeat.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:14pm

Totally agree with all that! Massive Irish community in Birmingham and also in Coventry! What you said about Liverpool is true it’s not as Irish as some people seem to think and it has a big loyalist community from the six counties. As you said big paddy’s day parade every year in Birmingham and some great pubs around Digbeth. Erdington has some good Irish pubs The New Inns and the Royal Oak good spots for watching Gaa games. Clearys another great little spot and The Fountain but think that’s closed now and the Irish centre has recently moved out of the city. There was a great magazine out before all about the Irish immigrants in Birmingham and their children called English accent Irish soul very true indeed.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 Mar 2020 at 3:17pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Totally agree with all that! Massive Irish community in Birmingham and also in Coventry! What you said about Liverpool is true it’s not as Irish as some people seem to think and it has a big loyalist community from the six counties. As you said big paddy’s day parade every year in Birmingham and some great pubs around Digbeth. Erdington has some good Irish pubs The New Inns and the Royal Oak good spots for watching Gaa games. Clearys another great little spot and The Fountain but think that’s closed now and the Irish centre has recently moved out of the city. There was a great magazine out before all about the Irish immigrants in Birmingham and their children called English accent Irish soul very true indeed.

New Inns has great guinness, watched a few games of the rugby there when I was back in October time. The Craic magazine in Birmingham did great for the Irish in the city. Are you from the area yourself?
Scanlons and Behans big in South Birmingham for years, before my time but the Garryowen in Small Heath was huge, but quite rough. Luke Kelly lived in Kings Heath for a stint as well
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:44pm
* & the Ceol Castle nightclub in Moseley, my God it's still going now and full of younger ones with Irish grandparents who go to Catholic schools in the area, but back in the day for decades it was an Irish only nightclub, still a fair few that move over for work go there on Friday & Saturday nights until 4am... may have been in once or twice myself WinkLOL
SeanPeadir View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanPeadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:45pm
Spent a fair bit of time as a student and working in Birmingham. Played a bit of GAA. Lot of good times in Digbeth 👍🏻 Parade day was always a great session.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:49pm

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

New Inns has great guinness, watched a few games of the rugby there when I was back in October time. The Craic magazine in Birmingham did great for the Irish in the city. Are you from the area yourself?
Scanlons and Behans big in South Birmingham for years, before my time but the Garryowen in Small Heath was huge, but quite rough. Luke Kelly lived in Kings Heath for a stint as well
The Guinness in the New Inns is unreal and a good pint in the Royal Oak aswell! Some great pubs in general all around that area. No I’m not from there but the woman is from Erdington/Sutton Coldfield and i do some work around there so I’m there quiet a good bit.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 Mar 2020 at 3:49pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Skripi91 Skripi91 wrote:

Non Irish born fans?

Well then, greetings from Zirndorf, Germany Smile

It may sound a bit funny but the reason I´m such a big Ireland fan is Eddie Irvine.
He was (and still is) my absolute favourite Formula One driver since I was a little child.
I Know Eddie is from Northern Ireland, but in all german sport magazines, he was always shown with the flag of the Republic and it was always mentioned he is from the Republic.

So, for me as a little child, it was quite simple, Eddie is from Ireland, I like Ireland.

Over the years I started to inform myself about the Republic, about the country, the people, traditions, sports and so on.

And I also started to support the Irish national football team and I´m still supporting them!
I was the only german person which was freaking happy when at WC 2002 Robbie scored the euqualizer against Germany, I guess. LOL

LOLLOLLOL

Wow, Eddie Irvine. That's crazy alright. Good man yourself.

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by SeanPeadir SeanPeadir wrote:

Spent a fair bit of time as a student and working in Birmingham. Played a bit of GAA. Lot of good times in Digbeth 👍🏻 Parade day was always a great session.
What club were you with? Yeah, I'm heading over for it this weekend as it happens, ended up at an afters backroom trad sesh with Finbarr Furey last year my pal had put him on earlier in the day
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:29pm
primary school near glasgow and moved to ireland now in second spell in mancunia 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:34pm

* & the Ceol Castle nightclub in Moseley, my God it's still going now and full of younger ones with Irish grandparents who go to Catholic schools in the area, but back in the day for decades it was an Irish only nightclub, still a fair few that move over for work go there on Friday & Saturday nights until 4am... may have been in once or twice myself WinkLOL

Moseley was a great night out when I was a student. Pat Kavanagh a great pub. Used to head down sparkhill for a curry too
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Moseley was a great night out when I was a student. Pat Kavanagh a great pub. Used to head down sparkhill for a curry too
Pat Kav's still going, just had a load of money pumped into it for a refurb last few years, does well and very popular. Moseley has really taken off in general, they're putting a trainline there from town
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:50pm

Oh yeh? any Irish surnames/what county, knocking about from Sacred Heart I may recognise? 

PF rings a vague bell, I would def know people that would know him... I'm 27 now so may be a bit older than me? Erdington used to be heavy on Irish, but then again most suburbs in the city did. Irish Bham even has its own slight twang variation from Brummie, if you can imagine. Same with Asian Bham as well, massive emigration for them as well

The boys i'm good mates with are Connolly and Smith, would drink in the Sacred Heart a good bit both of their fathers are Belfast. Also friendly enough with a few Duffys they go on afew trips, Blue Noses though. Was actually walking to the Ireland Scotland WC game in Tokyo and the fella on the train had a thick Brummie accent, wearing an Ireland top. Got chatting to him, he is the DJ in the Sacred Heart, grey haired fella with glasses. Sound man. 
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:29pm

There was a chap from Birmingham used to sell badges outside the Beggars Bush and inside before games, big Villa fan.

Good doc if you have an hour to kill... 'Birmingham Irish I Am'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO3_1L59YYc&t=3140s

The Irish who emigrated are more Irish than the ones who remained, always more passionate about their country.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 9:08am

The boys i'm good mates with are Connolly and Smith, would drink in the Sacred Heart a good bit both of their fathers are Belfast. Also friendly enough with a few Duffys they go on afew trips, Blue Noses though. Was actually walking to the Ireland Scotland WC game in Tokyo and the fella on the train had a thick Brummie accent, wearing an Ireland top. Got chatting to him, he is the DJ in the Sacred Heart, grey haired fella with glasses. Sound man. 
Eddie his name is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic