You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non Irish born fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne Leery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non Irish born fans
    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:38pm
Have we got many on here ? A fair few  English born and bred with  Irish parents still support Ireland .I made the decision to aged 9 or 10 and don't intend to switch thirty plus years later.
Sponsored Links

Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:08pm
 Born in London, but always been 100% Irish
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:15pm
We have a big English born Irish support and have done for generations, and we will always have it Clap
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:20pm
Plenty on here, I’m non-irish born myself but lived here basically all my life. Plenty with English accents on away trips also. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:28pm
Born in dublin but lived in england for 32 years (left when I was a child) 
so accent is more Benedict Cumberbatch than irish. Does that count?

Additionally- wife is japanese, son born in England and wears the green with Doherty on the back, has an irish passport and INSISTS he's irish. 
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:43pm
Canadian born and raised with parents from Carlow. Spent my summers there and loved Roy Keane as a kid so was natural to support Ireland. Even though my dad is a gaa man and never watched football. 

It was also a lot easier to support Ireland and Irish players because they were always televised or easy to find streams. The coverage of Canadian football was abysmal at time so it was almost impossible for me to even support Canada and only really Paul Stalteri would ever be on tv during his time in the Premier League. 
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 1:11pm
We are fortunate in enough  to have loads  of Irish fans born all over the world. I know a few  who dont even qualify for passport anymore their parents and Grandparents couldn't be arsed to get an Irish passport. These guys are are Irish as the rest of us by us I mean Irish supporters and they are more Irish than EPL barstoolers who only know we have a team when it's a play off or we are playing British Provinces or qualify. They really are more Irish than most of the Irish are themselves.
Our teams may not always have non Irish born players but our fan base always will have non Irish born members as  the Catalpa song Irish to the core goes "some may speak with foreign tones but for Ireland boys you never walk alone "

All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 1:25pm
Some real hardcore fans i must say .
Quite a few are well know on here as well .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Canadian born and raised with parents from Carlow. Spent my summers there and loved Roy Keane as a kid so was natural to support Ireland. Even though my dad is a gaa man and never watched football. 

It was also a lot easier to support Ireland and Irish players because they were always televised or easy to find streams. The coverage of Canadian football was abysmal at time so it was almost impossible for me to even support Canada and only really Paul Stalteri would ever be on tv during his time in the Premier League. 

Or frank yallop!!!!!
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
TheMightyQuinn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMightyQuinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:22pm
Graham Leggat and Bob Lenarduzzi did their best On TSN’s Soccer Saturday, but the coverage was definitely weak until the late 90’s.
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
Dunne Leery View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne Leery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 2:10pm
Growing up in South Manchester in the 70s and 80s I would say half the classes at catholic schools were Irish descent.Most with two parents would support Ireland over England although some have jumped ship to England  ,most haven't that I know of.One Irish parent and grandparents was probably more England but some still went for Ireland. It often depended on how often they went to Ireland kids who went every summer were  more likely to put Ireland first opposed to those who rarely or never went to Ireland on holiday.
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:18am
Birmingham for 25 years, parents from Ros & Mayo, living in Dublin now since last year, never in doubt Coolmassive bog head on me for a start, and a name to match it as well
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

Birmingham for 25 years, parents from Ros & Mayo, living in Dublin now since last year, never in doubt Coolmassive bog head on me for a start, and a name to match it as well

Welcome home
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:35am

Why Dublin and not Ireland?
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Welcome home
You wouldn't be shocked at the amount of people who have genuine surprise (or disgust) when they hear what accent comes out of my mouth... but cheers man, just means I can see Villa let me down less and Mayo more frequently
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 11:10am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Why Dublin and not Ireland?
The same reason if you ask half the country folk in Cassidys on Sunday night - work
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:25am
Liverpool has a reputation of being a big Irish descended city over the decades but I think Birmingham is undersold on the scale of how much bigger it was, think I read about 4 times more. Third biggest parade in the world behind Dub & NYC. Give St Patrick's parade Digbeth a Google. Some great pubs in Digeth owned by Irish gaffers still going there I am friends with, Hennesseys, Spotted Dog, Clearys, Nortons.

If you went to a Catholic school in Birmingham, or the West Midlands from say 70s-(twenty)10s, strong strong chance your parents or grandparents would have been Irish. Half of my year at school were Boyles/Doyles/Coyles/Byrnes/Finnegans/Mc's & O's and pretty much any common name in between, just with a Brummie accent. Christ, camogie was in the curriculum to be played at Birmingham council schools for the girls, think it only recently stopped in the last 5 years or so.

The Sacred Heart by Villa Park, recently taken over by Limerick/Donegal crowd but was in the hands of a Roscommon crowd for years and had every county GAA jersey on the walls, great for the Irish descent/Catholic community before games drinking with people you would be either related, worked on jobs or went to school with. Still going now but probably not the same now as back in the day, but by far the best by the ground for me anyhow.

A lot of the Builds & Civil contractor still going in the West Midlands today are owned by Irish fellas that came over on the boat for work in the 40s/50s/60s as young bucks, and built up an empire, or either their sons run it now if they've died... 

When Hitler was heading for Poland, and Paddy, for Holyhead Clap
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:29am
& Sean G, if you see this, you can relate to us being dragged to every Feis across Birmingham & Coventry every Saturday morning to watch our sisters Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic