You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deacon Blue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deacon Blue
    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:43pm
Any fans on here?

I'm off to see them at a festival in Sunderland in August.

Love a bit of Dignity.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:51pm
When will you make my telephone ring
Fergus sings the blues
And of course RGK Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:53pm
Bought a wee boat 3 years ago for a bit of sea fishing, obviously had to call it dignity 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Fergus sings the blues
And of course RGK Clap

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:04pm
Love and Regret is class too.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
Raintown is a great album. Ross seems an alright fella too, if a bit bland.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Raintown is a great album. Ross seems an alright fella too, if a bit bland.
Cracking album.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 4:45pm
Kinda surprised some Scottish football club didn't adopt the song 'Dignity' or even the Tartan Army themselves and changed the words around. 

It's a cracking upbeat tune and would probably make a good football chant imo 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Kinda surprised some Scottish football club didn't adopt the song 'Dignity' or even the Tartan Army themselves and changed the words around. 

Good point.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 4:56pm
Made for The Rangers.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:10pm

Made for The Rangers.

Or Wages Day re the EBT scheme.

Big smile
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Fergus sings the blues
And of course RGK Clap
Clap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 6:48pm
Great band. Ricky Ross is a very underrated songwriter.

I don't think he was ever that into the fame side of it. Colin Murray was saying on Blood On The Tracks recently on 5 live that he was trying to get him on the show, but he wouldn't ring him back. Big smile

When The World Knows Your Name and Fellow Hoodlums are also top albums.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 10 Feb 2020 at 6:48pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I don't think he was ever that into the fame side of it. Colin Murray was saying on Blood On The Tracks recently on 5 live that he was trying to get him on the show, but he wouldn't ring him back. Big smile

I listen to the odd episode of the Nutmeg podcast on Scottish football, Daniel Gray is great, and Ross went on to talk about Dundee United. He definitely isn’t in it for the fame, shying away from that side of it always.

I would disagree on the other albums,I feel outside the odd great track all the best stuff was on Raintown. The recent stuff is sh*te enough too.

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:40pm
Day 1.
Tiocfaidh at la....up the Ra.
Are SF like Trump.....did they expect to lead/win? Are they actually surprised and now bricking it?
Do they realise that the responsibility of housing/health could now fall on their shoulders? No quick fix.....fickle electorate.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Day 1.
Tiocfaidh at la....up the Ra.
Are SF like Trump.....did they expect to lead/win? Are they actually surprised and now bricking it?
Do they realise that the responsibility of housing/health could now fall on their shoulders? No quick fix.....fickle electorate.
Their new album must be very different.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 6:20pm

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I listen to the odd episode of the Nutmeg podcast on Scottish football, Daniel Gray is great, and Ross went on to talk about Dundee United. He definitely isn’t in it for the fame, shying away from that side of it always.

I would disagree on the other albums,I feel outside the odd great track all the best stuff was on Raintown. The recent stuff is sh*te enough too.

"Raintown" was an almost perfect album. Cool

"When the World Knows Your Name" the album which followed afterwards was a good one I thought. Obviously not as good as "Raintown" but nonetheless still pretty decent. 

After that though, their new releases became rather a mixed bag. And if I'm honest, there was only one song on their most recent album "Believers", that I liked.

A few years ago Ricky Ross did an interview with the Daily Record where he went through all the "Raintown" songs and provided some of the background and meaning to them:

"Born in a Storm: The lyric was stolen from a friend of mine, David Heavenor, who had a song with those three words. It was written on a long rainy afternoon in Glasgow, a period which went on for ever, and had a second verse which was never used. I think’s about someone difficult I knew at the time, possibly myself.

Raintown: It’s about work, not good work and weather compounding that, and things bringing you down. The ideas in Raintown came first and the theme came back in Dignity. Everyone was going on about unemployment at the time, but there were also a lot of people unhappy with the work they were in.

Ragman: It’s that dissatisfaction again. There was a general feeling of self loathing around.

He Looks Like Spencer Tracey Now: I wrote that in Crete on holiday as a partner to Dignity. I thought it sounded smug when I wrote it (about the man who pressed the button that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima). I liked the idea that he had public bravado but private regrets.

Loaded: I’d left the keys to my flat in Glasgow to the guys in the band and they did a backing track on an old 8 track. I came in and started singing stream of consciousness on it, about some of the people we’d met in the record business. . Part of the lyric was lifted from an old evangelical children’s hymn, Christ Is The Answer.

When Will You (Make My Telephone Ring): It’s so hard to remember. I think that song is actually about waiting to be discovered, spurred on by the unrequited love of an old girlfriend.

Chocolate Girl: It’s about someone’s relationship which sounded bad. I don’t really like sexist love songs, that awful song by Eric Clapton, Wonderful Tonight. There’s a song by Prefab Sprout which says the same thing, called Cruel, which I love.

Dignity: I have no idea why I started writing a song like that in Greece, but that’s why there’s a reference to raki in it, the local firewater. I was sitting messing around with lyrics, bored on holiday, in a far away scene. There were men from the Glasgow cleansing department depot who walked up and down the street with brushes outside my flat in Pollokshields.

The Very Thing: It’s about looking into the future and not knowing what’s happening, a sense of foreboding. I think it’s my favourite song on the record

Love’s Great Fears: It’s probably the best song Jim and I ever wrote together.

Town To Be Blamed: In a sense, this is me tying things together a little bit. You love the place you come from, but when you’re young all you want to do is escape and lay the blame on that place for everything that’s gone wrong in your life. When I first met Graeme Kelling, he wanted to get out of Glasgow. But really, we wanted to stay in Glasgow, just on different terms. We wanted to be king of the hill."

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Dignity usually gets played at Hampden as the teams are warming up and some of us join in with the chorus. 

I do remember a home game in 2007 during McLeish's first spell in charge where we won (think it might have been against Georgia or Ukraine) at Hampden, they played Dignity at the final whistle and about 50,000 people were belting it out. Great stuff. 

Ricky Ross and Lorraine McIntosh are both big supporters of Scottish independence too Clap. They performed together at a big march and rally for independence quite recently. Ross is also very interested in the works of Robert Burns, particularly his political poetry and songs.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 8:50am
Deacon Blue on BBC 1 BBC Breakfast from 08.00 am tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic