You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New rte documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

It's actually  a poor doc.  Way too much on the hooligans and feck all on the 94 qualifiers.    Strange editing decisions 

I’d rank The Charlton Years documentary as better 
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 11:03pm
The Opel logos looked great on the EIRE gear
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 11:50pm
Was able to forget about Coronavirus for an hour or so. I’m glad for that.

Didn’t even mention Spain and Denmark were in our qualifying group for ‘94 WC. We’d a brilliant performance in Sevilla although Spain absolutely destroyed us at home. Denmark were European Champions.

One campaign too many unfortunately for Charlton. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:03am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Was able to forget about Coronavirus for an hour or so. I’m glad for that.

Didn’t even mention Spain and Denmark were in our qualifying group for ‘94 WC. We’d a brilliant performance in Sevilla although Spain absolutely destroyed us at home. Denmark were European Champions.

One campaign too many unfortunately for Charlton. 

Like yourself remember the campaign well.  We started off great.  The turning point seemed to be the England friendly in 1995.  Whether it was the team or Charlton himself it was like a switch went that day.  Tuaisceart Eireann in Dublib 1995 was a disatrous game.

That Spain game in 1993 was a very odd game and probably pointed to the start of decline.  I remember expecting us to win that game or get a draw.  And we were 3-0 down within what 20 mins or 30 mins?

Then the TE game in 1993 Belfast wasn't a great performance either.  Ermm

Looking back Alan Kelly never seemed to do well for us.  I remember him playing great for Sheffield Utd but he seemed to ship the goals for us.

On a bit of a ramble here so will wrap up the post now.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:19am
I think the turning point was the 3-1 loss at home to Spain. Caminero and Salinas ran riot. Ok, we beat a brilliant Italy team in the World Cup but I never felt as confident about us again after the Spain game.

We had a superb start to Euro 96 and beat Portugal after that sh*te draw with the North. Liechtenstein and Austria were a disaster.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:23am
Did we not beat Portugal after the f**k ups to TE in March and Liechstenstein?

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:26am
Havent watched the 2nd episode yet, but the Austria defeat at home was fir me the turning point, yes we drew 0-0 in Liechtenstein before that,  but that was a massive freak result against a team who hist sat back and we couldn't score against despite the dominance,  it does happen from time to time, especially as our style of play was pretty direct. Against Austria, it seemed back to normal,  we were 1-0 up and hit the post as well to the best of my recollection. If that had or went in we would have been 2-0 up and probably 3 points and on our way to the euros. But then it just fell apart completely. We never recovered 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:39am
Polsen, was that your mans name?
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:45am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Was that the ****? Got like 4 goals in the two games
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:47am
Toni Polster. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:06am
That’s the boyo 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:17am
Stoger got a Hat trick I think in Vienna.

As You Were
Three in a row
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 2:12am

His name was Robert Paulson.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

His name was Robert Paulson.

LOL
You have just given me an idea of film to drink the rest of my cans to
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 6:26am
If there was nothing really new in it would Football’s best interests not be better served by RTE investigating the last 15 years governance at the FAI and the the local administrators who did nothing ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:24am
Fairly ridiculous the amount of coverage they gave combat 18
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:24am
It was a free shot of a documentary in that looking back on those years is always going to make people happy and
The subject matter is great and lots of access to archive material.  But the interviews added nothing new and it was the same people who do the circuit on it with the exception of Lineker obviously. 

In the cold light of day a wasted opportunity and a poor documentary and some weird editorial and production decisions esp around cutting out the whole of the 94 campaign nearly and the England friendly given way too much coverage.  

Best thing to do is watch que sera sera and the road to America and you will be sorted.  Que sera sera is brilliantly done 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

It was a free shot of a documentary in that looking back on those years is always going to make people happy and
The subject matter is great and lots of access to archive material.  But the interviews added nothing new and it was the same people who do the circuit on it with the exception of Lineker obviously. 

In the cold light of day a wasted opportunity and a poor documentary and some weird editorial and production decisions esp around cutting out the whole of the 94 campaign nearly and the England friendly given way too much coverage.  

Best thing to do is watch que sera sera and the road to America and you will be sorted.  Que sera sera is brilliantly done 

I've never seen David Kelly or Alan McLoughlin on "the circuit"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic