You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New rte documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:50pm
Nothing really too new from the Charlton years VHS or reeling in the years so far apart from up to date interviews. Was good to hear lineker's take on it all. Was enjoyable all the same. You still get goosebumps but also think how fine the margins were, especially in euro 88, in making a semi.

Any ybiggers spot themselves from back in the day?
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

anytime I look at it the more I think Bonner should of done much better with Schillacis shot in 1990....it really was bad goalkeeping.
Confused Scillachi scored, it was Donadoni’s shot.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 12:06am
Originally posted by StayPuft StayPuft wrote:

Lads, how can I watch this from the UK?

Get a vpn set it to Ireland and go to the rte player 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:14am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Nothing really too new from the Charlton years VHS or reeling in the years so far apart from up to date interviews. Was good to hear lineker's take on it all. Was enjoyable all the same. You still get goosebumps but also think how fine the margins were, especially in euro 88, in making a semi.

Any ybiggers spot themselves from back in the day?
A young Proud and Loud was on it twice. It was probably the last time he was seen with a head of hair.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Some gas when both us and Holland were guaranteed to be the 1990 WC 2nd round and they played a pass the ball around game. I reckon if someone from either our team or Holland who decided to score a winner would of been decapitated ha 

Any of our players today should take encouragement from Aldridge and do whatever star player Slovakia have ha 

I'd take a guess that Scotland still bear a grudge over that. If either us or the Dutch had scored a winner and it had finished 2-1, there'd have been a three way draw between Austria, Scotland and either us or the Dutch to see who got the single last 16 spot remaining, because all three would have had identical records. But because of the luck of drawing into the group that played last, we knew we were grand with a draw, so that's the way it ended.

Of course, if Egypt had equalised against England, all four teams would have been together on exactly the same record, across the board. Then all four places would have been determined by random draw. At least now they use fair play points.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 6:00am
Anyone know where i could find a link to this or watch it from Australia? 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 7:23am

Some gas when both us and Holland were guaranteed to be the 1990 WC 2nd round and they played a pass the ball around game. I reckon if someone from either our team or Holland who decided to score a winner would of been decapitated ha 

Now may have been pass the ball around near the end but goodness the mother of all parties after the game .
Was on a camp site where it was half and half with the Dutch now fair play to the owers they had it all set up food and drink and loads of it and one hell of a night and morning .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Now may have been pass the ball around near the end but goodness the mother of all parties after the game .
Was on a camp site where it was half and half with the Dutch now fair play to the owers they had it all set up food and drink and loads of it and one hell of a night and morning .

Campsite in Cefalu ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:08am
Was there a team song before Euro 88?

At the start of the show it showed the team singing on the late late show, we are the boys in green, but pretty sure that was before Italia 90.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

At the start of the show it showed the team singing on the late late show, we are the boys in green, but pretty sure that was before Italia 90.

Michael Carwood and Boys in Green was the Euro88 song.  Still my favourite football song.  There was a version for Italy as well.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:22am
That musta been it, the line - "we're going to Italy" must have been changed from Germany
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Michael Carwood and Boys in Green was the Euro88 song.  Still my favourite football song.  There was a version for Italy as well.
Even as a child, obsessed with all things football, it made me cringe in a way that has never been equalled. I’m sure it would have been used in Guantanamo.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

really good so far - Jesus , Kevin sheedy is twice the man now 
He's what I'd imagine Louis Walsh would have aged into without the botox

Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

Was gas really  going to Ireland match’s in middle of day on a Wednesday 
What was the craic with games back then? I remember getting out of school and games being on, were they always Wednesday's at 3pm?
Were there a lot of half days being taken for games or did offices just close early for games?
Was it just one game per international break? Or were they just one offs sandwiched between weekends of domestic leagues?
Why would offices close early for games! Back then most of the fans didn’t work in offices. Games were played at 2.30pm.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 Mar 2020 at 9:40am
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Even as a child, obsessed with all things football, it made me cringe in a way that has never been equalled. I’m sure it would have been used in Guantanamo.

I'm sure you loved this one. The greatest football song, no actually, THE GREATEST SONG EVER COMPOSED. 

Johnny Aldridge, showed the Maltese
That he hasn't lost his touch
He's holding back now
For the craic now
Until the day we get revenge on the Dutch

Ronnie Whelan, Had them reelin'
The Russians have confirmed it as a fact
To ensure that they don't meet Ireland
They're trying to change the Warsaw pact

El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:09am
It wasn’t as bad as the aforementioned though.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:25am
It was good to see that Egypt side finally get a bit of long overdue praise. Lot of people back in the day thinking they were total jokers and drawing with them was a disgrace. It was also interesting to hear Aldridge claim they basically gave us a serving of our own medicine - i.e happy to cede possession and apply constant pressure.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

It was good to see that Egypt side finally get a bit of long overdue praise. Lot of people back in the day thinking they were total jokers and drawing with them was a disgrace. It was also interesting to hear Aldridge claim they basically gave us a serving of our own medicine - i.e happy to cede possession and apply constant pressure.

I don't think it's possible to cede possession and also apply constant pressure. Unless you're happy to frantically chase and harry your opponent all over the pitch without any intention of actually winning the ball. 
El Puto Amo
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I don't think it's possible to cede possession and also apply constant pressure. Unless you're happy to frantically chase and harry your opponent all over the pitch without any intention of actually winning the ball. 

Eh? That was our game plan under Charlton for the guts of a decade! Boot the ball up into the corner (cede possession) and then chase after it (applying pressure). I believe there may even have been a technical term for it, what was it again, oh yeah, 'putting 'em under pressure'!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic