You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New rte documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Fairly ridiculous the amount of coverage they gave combat 18

yeah I thought that was odd alright... I also thought the constant images of the little blondy fella looking scared yet this dad made him look at the fighting instead of leaving...last night I knew it would be a downer... because they didn't highlight the good games....of after 1992....I loved when jack said 'we don't that over here' regarding the trouble that 'ill fated night'
Come on Irelind
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:43am
And your man on Sky said something like “of all places for this to happen, Dublin”.

The Brits are sports mad but they love coming to Ireland for sporting events be it football, rugby, horse racing etc.

An English rugger fan once told me its their favourite away game.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:57am
I think the documentary was originally intended to be solely about the Lansdowne riot before the decision was made to expand it to the Charlton era as a whole. Hence the amount of focus on that particular event.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Remember Dunphy banging on about how it didn't affect the Belgians and the Dutch the next day with the noon kick off. Fact that it was about 15 degrees colder and overcast didn't seem to matter. 

The Holland v Morocco game in Orlando was played in similiar conditions to our game v Mexico. No strangers to heat they may be, but Morocco complained about the conditions after the game. Holland won late on, and faced us in the second round. Without that winner, we would have been playing Saudi Arabia there instead. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

And your man on Sky said something like “of all places for this to happen, Dublin”.

The Brits are sports mad but they love coming to Ireland for sporting events be it football, rugby, horse racing etc.

That just highlights the type of **** that follows rugby.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Why? People having preferences for the international trips they take when following a team is pretty standard.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:09am
Do you reckon loads declined to be a part of it? Irwin, Keane, Brady etc.

Was all Aldo. And 'Cas'. He's aged badly. My god.

That game in 95 was insane, everyone missed a beat there leaving that happen. 

FYI, Never realised it was a friendly. Absolutely insane decision for a few quid. How bad were the keepers back then? Howlers all over the place. The goal scored in that 95 game was shocking LOL

Edited by kearney304 - 17 Mar 2020 at 11:10am
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:12am
Missed it Embarrassed  
Is it on RTE player ?
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Why? People having preferences for the international trips they take when following a team is pretty standard.
It was tongue-in-cheek.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:18am

It was tongue-in-cheek.

Was it? Fair enough.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

FYI, Never realised it was a friendly. Absolutely insane decision for a few quid. How bad were the keepers back then? Howlers all over the place. The goal scored in that 95 game was shocking LOL

I think he had a serious health scare in the last year. Takes its toll. 

Yeah if we had Keane and Irwin and others talking it would have been better. Chris hughton tony galvin etc.  

The doc makers are going to get a pat on the back as it was a feel good doc about great times.  But it added nothing new and it left huge bits out in favour or other bits which were less important I couldn’t give a damn about combat 18. To misquote  morrissey they have nothing to say about my life.  Irony is that he probably supports them now :) 
AKA pedantic kunt
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:30am
I recall there being quite a bit of coverage in the papers back in 1995 about failures in security, e.g. letting known groups of hooligans and the likes of Combat18 travel over to the game. There had been some intelligence received that this was going to happen and I think the reaction was lax.

The documentary was a nice piece of nostalgia. It's for the broad market, not intended for hard core supporters, so it wasn't going to get into a lot of detail on each qualifying campaign. It was also a lovely tribute to Charlton. He's not well, so it almost felt like an obituary at the end.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

I recall there being quite a bit of coverage in the papers back in 1995 about failures in security, e.g. letting known groups of hooligans and the likes of Combat18 travel over to the game. There had been some intelligence received that this was going to happen and I think the reaction was lax.

The Finlay Report into the match makes for very interesting reading. It’s hard enough to find hard copies of, but it was pretty damning of the whole thing, especially on the back of the difficulties that arose before the Qualifier in 1990. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:34am
But that doc has already been made and it’s the charlton years.  
AKA pedantic kunt
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Are you only noticing now the English Irishman are the darlings of the media ahead of the Irish Irishman !
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:00pm

It was tongue-in-cheek.

Was it? Fair enough.
Its just PMs way of professing his great love of his homelands capital LOL  
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:15pm

It's the most common place in Ireland for it to happen really.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Did we not beat Portugal after the f**k ups to TE in March and Liechstenstein?
No, the Portugal game was in April. The f**k-up v Liechtenstein was in early June (a few days before the home match v Austria). 

Edited by ConorMac77 - 17 Mar 2020 at 12:31pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic