Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New rte documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:41am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Any idea when Part 2 is?
Next Monday night I think it said.

Thumbs Up
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:42am

Any idea when Part 2 is?

Wonder what happens next. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Any idea when Part 2 is?

The nation stopped holding its breath............
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:09am

Any idea when Part 2 is?

It will be cancelled because of the no gatherings rule LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:16am

Any idea when Part 2 is?

Bertie tried to start a 2nd peace process but that ended badly, we ended up with the genesis report and we all lived happily ever after. 
Let Christy Take It.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Great show, enjoyed watching the goals from the qualifiers for 1990 again as you don’t see them much. 

Did we ever concede a good goal in a tournament. 

Great days, they’ll never be repeated sadly 

I'm going to be pedantic and answer what was probably a rhetorical question. 

We didn't concede a decent one in 1988. 

We only conceded three in 1990 in total. Linekers was poxy. 
Gullits goal was good. Lovely one two on the edge of our area, burst of pace and neat finish. 
You could make an argument for the Italian goal being a decent flowing move but Packie's poor parry from Donadoni's shot categorizes it as a defensive error.  

Both Mexican goals in '94 were excellent finishes but the second one came from Irwin letting the ball bounce in the box so we'll rule that one out also. Hard to argue too much against the first one though. The less said the better about the Dutch goals in the last 16.

That's it for Charlton years in terms of goals against in major tournaments. 
El Puto Amo
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

really good so far - Jesus , Kevin sheedy is twice the man now 
He's what I'd imagine Louis Walsh would have aged into without the botox

Was gas really  going to Ireland match’s in middle of day on a Wednesday 
What was the craic with games back then? I remember getting out of school and games being on, were they always Wednesday's at 3pm?
Were there a lot of half days being taken for games or did offices just close early for games?
Was it just one game per international break? Or were they just one offs sandwiched between weekends of domestic leagues?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

What was the craic with games back then? I remember getting out of school and games being on, were they always Wednesday's at 3pm?
Were there a lot of half days being taken for games or did offices just close early for games?
Was it just one game per international break? Or were they just one offs sandwiched between weekends of domestic leagues?

Lansdowne didn't have floodlights  until 1993
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:45am
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Any idea when Part 2 is?

It will be cancelled because of the no gatherings rule LOL
Mick Byrne's mush in every TV shot. Jaysus there's a man who loved attention. Poxy physio though, hot & cold was the treatment given for all injuries. If your leg was in bits, he'd be the last man I'd want attending me.

Anyone remember the Howard Johnson hotel in Orlando for the Dutch game in '94 ( I stand corrected if wrong). That's where we had to get the tickets for that game I'm sure.Well there was a certain person's father in charge of selling the tickets... the rest is historyWink 
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:30am
Shocked

Games were on Wednesdays with league games the previous weekend.  We had no floodlights. People had to take leave to watch them.  away trips often required a Saturday night stay to get reasonable flights.

Tickets for home games were really scarce although Belgium selling out in April 87 was a huge shock to me and others.  Luckily for me I block booked immediately after that.  

The finals were amazing.  Fantastic atmosphere and walking on air the whole time.  Went a little sour after Orlando in 94.  The abject humiliation of losing to the Dutch.  ShockedShockedShocked

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Great show, enjoyed watching the goals from the qualifiers for 1990 again as you don’t see them much. 

Did we ever concede a good goal in a tournament. 

Great days, they’ll never be repeated sadly 

I'm going to be pedantic and answer what was probably a rhetorical question. 

We didn't concede a decent one in 1988. 

We only conceded three in 1990 in total. Linekers was poxy. 
Gullits goal was good. Lovely one two on the edge of our area, burst of pace and neat finish. 
You could make an argument for the Italian goal being a decent flowing move but Packie's poor parry from Donadoni's shot categorizes it as a defensive error.  

Both Mexican goals in '94 were excellent finishes but the second one came from Irwin letting the ball bounce in the box so we'll rule that one out also. Hard to argue too much against the first one though. The less said the better about the Dutch goals in the last 16.

That's it for Charlton years in terms of goals against in major tournaments. 

I was just really talking about those two championships sorry. Some poxy luck with richochets, deflections and balls taking all sorts of deviations leading to goals

Was Dunphy actually crying before the Egypt game because of how much it meant to him with the GAA men all tuning in?
Always found it funny that noise he makes when he throws the pen down after the game
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Shocked

Games were on Wednesdays with league games the previous weekend.  We had no floodlights. People had to take leave to watch them.  away trips often required a Saturday night stay to get reasonable flights.

Tickets for home games were really scarce although Belgium selling out in April 87 was a huge shock to me and others.  Luckily for me I block booked immediately after that.  

The finals were amazing.  Fantastic atmosphere and walking on air the whole time.  Went a little sour after Orlando in 94.  The abject humiliation of losing to the Dutch.  ShockedShockedShocked

What was the weather like against the Dutch? 

I remember the Mexico game being like being in an oven, something like 120F at pitch level.

Watched the Charlton years yesterday and a lot of people saying that he should have left after the World Cup.

We actually started decently in the 96 qualifiers too but then from June 95 onwards it just went downhill drawing with Liechtenstein and losing to Austria twice 

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:44am

We actually started decently in the 96 qualifiers too but then from June 95 onwards it just went downhill drawing with Liechtenstein and losing to Austria twice 

Yeah it all went sour very quickly really. It was very much an aging team by that point.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:18am
Ahhhhh Italia 90 , majic times and never to be forgotten .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Yeah it all went sour very quickly really. It was very much an aging team by that point.

Aye really was, Think Aldridge was about 35 or 36 at the time of playoff.

Looking at the 94 squad we had 4 players (outfield players) under 25 
Roy Keane (22), Phil Babb (23) Gary Kelly (19) and Jason McAteer (22).

Was one the big things Mick had to deal with when he took over was the amount of players over 30

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:43am
Italia 90 got me hooked and USA 94 is the best tournament I’ve ever seen.
Great times. Ireland was really innocent back then.

forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:11pm
Great memories indeed, remember being grumpy that our game was hijacked by the likes of Pat Kenny and Gay Byrne, everyone where suddenly supporters.
Afternoon games on a sh*te pitch, magic ! They really where mad innocent times 😃
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:25pm
Mick Byrne's "We'll do them for yiz today", a timeless line Clap

I can only imagine what it was like to be in Stuttgart that day.

Also, it never fails to amaze me how bad Cascarino's peno was LOL

That's an interesting stat about the age of our player at USA '94, no wonder the collapse in the following qualifying campaign was so dramatic.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic