You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 677678679680681 839>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Are hospitalizations going up? There's only been about 40 in the whole country in the last week. If that continues to be stable and even dropping, what is the argument not to open up with still some restrictions (2m, table of 6, have to book) 
Overall trend is down, but there's been a few upticks in recent days: https://twitter.com/COVID19IECharts/status/1407739739176845312?s=19
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Are hospitalizations going up? There's only been about 40 in the whole country in the last week. If that continues to be stable and even dropping, what is the argument not to open up with still some restrictions (2m, table of 6, have to book) 
Overall trend is down, but there's been a few upticks in recent days: https://twitter.com/COVID19IECharts/status/1407739739176845312?s=19
On balance do you think we should proceed with reopening on 5/7 ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

It's hard to say right now. If the downward trend in hospitalizations continues, then it should be ok. On the other hand, if cases rise due to the new variant then you can't justify reopening.
If I had to guess, I'd say they'll follow England's lead and postpone for two weeks, and review then
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:58pm

It's hard to say right now. If the downward trend in hospitalizations continues, then it should be ok. On the other hand, if cases rise due to the new variant then you can't justify reopening.
If I had to guess, I'd say they'll follow England's lead and postpone for two weeks, and review then
Hospitalizations are going down and cases are going up, so what then ? What justification for refusing to open in this scenario ? Less than 0.5% of people in hospital have covid, that's less than 1 in 300, and very few of them in ICU. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:34pm
Gary Dempsey on Twitter is some can of piss
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Gary Dempsey on Twitter is some can of piss

I haven’t watched anything he has posted in months and months. But I gather he found a listening audience and is desperately trying to keep the content coming and stay relevant 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:50pm
Given that a large proportion of the overall cases would have been in the 18-35 age group, I wonder how close we actually are to herd immunity?

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:53pm
if they delay reopening on July 5th and allow foreign travel on the 19th LOL

Can’t meet you for a jar indoors but I’m off to canaries for a fortnight 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:48am
It's also hard to say if cases are incresing/decreasing since the cyberattack. All numbers published at present seem to be subject to revision which could potentially be revised downwards if there are duplicates in the data or upwards if not all data included at time of reporting.

I'd say cases are fairly stable at present. I think they'll postpone opening up but I think they'll find it hard to justify it. 

They can't cite cases spiralling out of control and if they say not enough people are vaccinated then some of that's down to policy on limiting who can have what. 

I understand the need for caution but this seems overly cautious and it's hard to figure out what they are trying to delay.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:04am

But England were virtually open bar large scale events. Indoor dining/pubs and more at events are definitely not going to lead us to a Christmas style catastrophe. We have to keep opening up somewhat, we can't continue to be this risk aversive for ever. As Mayo Mark said the non fully vaccinated are not the ones that generally end up in hospital. Cases don't matter as much now.

The FF candidate for Dublin Bay South basically confirmed what I thought all along (the coment along with the video is a bit dramatic mind you). NPHET are giving their guidance and they are following no matter what. This is absolutely disastrous for many industries at present for many industries that need to start reopening. NPHET have one remit which is fair enough but the government should be also mindful of other interests if they weren't so rudderless. The buck stops with the government and they need to make the decisions

https://twitter.com/JRD0000/status/1407619767985479684?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

But England were virtually open bar large scale events. Indoor dining/pubs and more at events are definitely not going to lead us to a Christmas style catastrophe. We have to keep opening up somewhat, we can't continue to be this risk aversive for ever. As Mayo Mark said the non fully vaccinated are not the ones that generally end up in hospital. Cases don't matter as much now.

The FF candidate for Dublin Bay South basically confirmed what I thought all along (the coment along with the video is a bit dramatic mind you). NPHET are giving their guidance and they are following no matter what. This is absolutely disastrous for many industries at present for many industries that need to start reopening. NPHET have one remit which is fair enough but the government should be also mindful of other interests if they weren't so rudderless. The buck stops with the government and they need to make the decisions

Maybe I've read this wrong but I think the UK figures show something different 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Sorry I meant the fully vaccinated people aren't the ones that usually end up in hospital
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:47am

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Sorry I meant the fully vaccinated people aren't the ones that usually end up in hospital

just 40 out of the 500 in hospital in the uk have been fully vaccinated. we don't know how many if any caught the virus within two weeks of their second dose and we don't know if any had underlying conditions but what it does show is the vaccine is breaking the link between infections and hospitalisations/deaths.

as of yesterday 60% of adults have been fully vaccinated.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:56am
I think it would be very hard for government to justify not reopening indoor dining, not least because hotels are already operating in this way, but also because the vast majority of the cohort who ended up in hospital are fully vaccinated. 
Should we really hold up things further because young adults are having a small headache and runny nose? Does it matter too much if that illness goes around like wildfire? everyone gets a little sick at some stage in any given year. It's healthy for our immune system i'm sure. 

I think any decision now would be based on ifs and buts rather than strong evidence that we are going to enter another wave if we reopen. 

Even looking to the UK, what they delayed was a full reopening, no social distancing, no masks. What we are talking about is still a level of social distancing and masks getting to the table, etc. 

The restrictions were always about protecting our vulnerable and keeping numbers down and we are currently there and unless some super duper variant comes along, I don't think we will go backwards. 

The only small justification would be people in the 60-70 cohort are only this time and they need then whatever time, let's say 2 weeks, to be considered fully vaccinated. So that might be one small reason to say, let's wait 2 more weeks. But if they are going to go in that direction I think it's better to start making that decision immediately rather than waiting until July 1 or 2 and then giving the bad news. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 24 Jun 2021 at 9:57am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:58am
I think it would be very hard for government to justify not reopening indoor dining, not least because hotels are already operating in this way, but also because the vast majority of the cohort who ended up in hospital are fully vaccinated. 
Should we really hold up things further because young adults are having a small headache and runny nose? Does it matter too much if that illness goes around like wildfire? everyone gets a little sick at some stage in any given year. It's healthy for our immune system i'm sure. 

I think any decision now would be based on ifs and buts rather than strong evidence that we are going to enter another wave if we reopen. 

Even looking to the UK, what they delayed was a full reopening, no social distancing, no masks. What we are talking about is still a level of social distancing and masks getting to the table, etc. 

The restrictions were always about protecting our vulnerable and keeping numbers down and we are currently there and unless some super duper variant comes along, I don't think we will go backwards. 

The only small justification would be people in the 60-70 cohort are only getting their 2nd vaccine around these few weeks we are currently in and they need then whatever time, let's say 2 weeks, to be considered fully vaccinated. So that might be one small reason to say, let's wait 2 more weeks. But if they are going to go in that direction I think it's better to start making that decision immediately rather than waiting until July 1 or 2 and then giving the bad news. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 24 Jun 2021 at 9:59am
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 11:08am

But that wouldn't be following England's lead. England has had indoor dining and pubs opened for a number of weeks. They've had crowds attending sporting events, entertainment, etc. What they postponed was a full reopening - 'Freedom Day' as they described it.

Ireland is a long way behind and given the level of vaccination that's taken place in the country, a postponement on 5th July would be difficult to justify and scarcely credible. However, no doubt the cranks at NPHET and ISAG will be pushing for further delays.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

But that wouldn't be following England's lead. England has had indoor dining and pubs opened for a number of weeks. They've had crowds attending sporting events, entertainment, etc. What they postponed was a full reopening - 'Freedom Day' as they described it.

Ireland is a long way behind and given the level of vaccination that's taken place in the country, a postponement on 5th July would be difficult to justify and scarcely credible. However, no doubt the cranks at NPHET and ISAG will be pushing for further delays.

I meant in terms of postponing removing the restrictions, not matching the current restrictions in the UK
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 1:04pm

Get your points, very frustrating by the ultra conservatism of the country. I thought we had moved on but covid has exposed the true nature of Ireland and the mindset of official Ireland.

People wanted the government to be conservative, so here it is in action. 

We had the Euros robbed from us, because they didn't want to put 12k people in Lansdowne, while there are stadiums at the Euros operating at full capacity. Last week, France, Holland and a number of other European neighbours dropped the mandatory order to wear masks outdoors. They don't seem that scared of the delta variant, but Ireland is still effectively closed for business. 

None of the cities hosting the Euros seem to experiencing mass uncontrollable spikes stretching their health services to breaking point. So their governments are keeping them safe and allowing them to live their lives as well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 677678679680681 839>
  Share Topic