You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 406407408409410 839>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:36am
Here’s a policy for you .

Let those under 65 do what they think is right. If an 18 year old who lives with his granny in number 2 wants to flaunt the rules that’s on him and his conscience. The man who runs a business next door in number 3 who is stringent in his hygiene and social distancing shouldn’t suffer because of the thick next door to him.

Those over 65 can make their own choices. If they are worried about contacting the virus which a lot understandably are they can make their own bubbles as they see fit. My mother is nearly 65. If she rings me and says she would like to see her two your old grandson I’m not going to say no, my door is closed. She’s made her decision and I will respect it but maintain social distancing. 

It’s not fair that those who think this way are labelled far right, trump loving nazis (which happens in this thread daily) who like to march at the weekend. Personally, I think those marching during the week are f**king idiots as the minimum we can do is wear a mask and social distance, large gatherings are a bad idea, you don’t have to be an expert for the penny to drop on the one. Comically, I was called a nazi yesterday by someone who thinks our overlords are correct to tell us all what to do while I would be more for the above. Ya gotta laugh like. That’s the internet for you I guess - you aren’t entitled to an opinion if it doesn’t match mine. 

l hear you are a racist now, father ?
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Let those under 65 do what they think is right. If an 18 year old who lives with his granny in number 2 wants to flaunt the rules that’s on him and his conscience. The man who runs a business next door in number 3 who is stringent in his hygiene and social distancing shouldn’t suffer because of the thick next door to him.

Those over 65 can make their own choices. If they are worried about contacting the virus which a lot understandably are they can make their own bubbles as they see fit. My mother is nearly 65. If she rings me and says she would like to see her two your old grandson I’m not going to say no, my door is closed. She’s made her decision and I will respect it but maintain social distancing. 

It’s not fair that those who think this way are labelled far right, trump loving nazis (which happens in this thread daily) who like to march at the weekend. Personally, I think those marching during the week are f**king idiots as the minimum we can do is wear a mask and social distance, large gatherings are a bad idea, you don’t have to be an expert for the penny to drop on the one. Comically, I was called a nazi yesterday by someone who thinks our overlords are correct to tell us all what to do while I would be more for the above. Ya gotta laugh like. That’s the internet for you I guess - you aren’t entitled to an opinion if it doesn’t match mine. 

But you see this is based on two things:

i) the fantasy that if the virus spreads widely among the under 65s, that it can magically be kept away from the over 65s

It can't

ii) The idea that there is no such thing as society and individuals should be able to have no obligation or sense of responsibility whatsoever in a situation where there is a massive collective problem which can only be solved by collective action

That is indeed Thatcherism and US right-wing libertarian ideology

Nice bit of "poor me" victimhood thrown in at the end

When you can't defend an opinion, always claim victimhood - that's the modern social media mantra

Still waiting for your actual policy recommendations

Edited by sid waddell - 25 Oct 2020 at 10:44am
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:46am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

i) the fantasy that if the virus spreads widely among the under 65s, that it can magically be kept away from the over 65s

It can't

ii) The idea that there is no such thing as society and individuals should be able to have no obligation or sense of responsibility whatsoever in a situation where there is a massive collective problem which can only be solved by collective action

When you can't defend an opinion, always claim victimhood - that's the modern social media mantra

Victimhood. You must think I was offended. I was nearly on the floor laughing 😂 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:50am
Pubs/restauratants - Any of them I was in we’re operating perfectly in terms of social distance and hygiene with their booking systems. I honestly didn’t see a need to close them fully, granted they probably weren’t making enough money with the low capacities.

Sporting events and Gigs - No , unfortunately. 

Shops - Open them all. If we can buy groceries safely we can buy boxer shorts. 

Mask/social distancing - Duh

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:51am

It can't

Victimhood. You must think I was offended. I was nearly on the floor laughing 😂 
That's what you went for though Babbs - feigned victimhood

My posts addressed at you have been very fair and reasonable

The reason my interest was piqued by your views was because you started out by claiming the whole thing was a "load a bollox"

But that's clearly wrong - it isn't a "load a bollox"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:53am
Anything else ? I’ve a pain in my hole going around in circles on here..
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:06am

Pubs/restauratants - Any of them I was in we’re operating perfectly in terms of social distance and hygiene with their booking systems. I honestly didn’t see a need to close them fully, granted they probably weren’t making enough money with the low capacities.

Sporting events and Gigs - No , unfortunately. 

Shops - Open them all. If we can buy groceries safely we can buy boxer shorts. 

Mask/social distancing - Duh

But we had something like that, it was called Level 2, and it wasn't working

Cases were exploding and as "a rising tide lifts all boats", that did indeed mean we were heading for an overwhelming of the health system at some point this winter and a considerably rising death toll, not just from Covid but from all causes, because the more Covid there is around, the less the health system will be able to deal with non-Covid medical problems

If the mantra is that "people should make their own decisions", it pretty much destroys any hope of collective action solving the problem, because many people will make decisions that only benefit them and pay no heed to the well being of others

Again, this is a collective problem which can only be solved by collective action

Follow the logic, if pub owners are allowed "make their own decisions", well, they aren't going to enforce restrictions which are aimed at reducing virus spread, they're going to get as many people in the door as possible

What you are arguing for is a policy that has been proven to not work

The mantra of "let people make their own decisions", if followed to its logical conclusion, would result in people deciding not to wear seat belts or drink drive

Followed to its logical conclusion, it would result in the abolition of all tax

That's why I get suspicious when people say "let people make their own decisions" 

Because it's a broad brush statement that is treated as an absolute by a lot of people, in this situation, can only result in the constant growth of virus spread, with disastrous implications for society

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:06am
There is no right answer. Lockdowns work to a degree but I think will only really work if we do a full one. With construction, schools, many shops still open, kids still out playing, teams still training, I can’t see numbers coming down.

I would say we live in level 2 or 3 but with a ban on household visits. This way, when people do meet out they can do so in more controlled environments. In addition, there should be guidance that maybe you should only meet with one other household so you are preventing big gatherings. This way, the economy remains open and it’s not that much different than what we are currently living under. Then as babbs says, it will be up to the individual to decide if they want to go out or stay at home.

The reality is, a large percentage of the population are not scared of the virus because it’s just a mild flu for most, it’s not the plague which people feared the first time round when there were videos of people dropping dead in China, etc. 
So people are living within the rules so I think we need to find the happy medium to protect the vulnerable but keep the economy going. So my policy is level 2 with indoor household visit bans
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:09am
A few thoughts on this..it obvious the 'fear factor' which was the catylast for people's behaviour in the early months of the pandemic has dissipated in the last few months. While it is true that increased number of cases had led to an increase in ICU and hospitalization it would appear that a lot of people are prepared to accept this as the numbers are currently a level which is not comparable with earlier in the year. The mixed messages and general clock ups be it with the LC, Clifden, Hand Sanitizers had made a lot reflect on the way things are being handled and weakened support for restrictions. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:12am
Swift and Babbs agree with masks and social distancing, hand washing etc but also think its a good idea to invite 6 friends over to the house for cans. Dumb and Dumber.

Edited by Trap junior - 25 Oct 2020 at 11:12am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Swift and Babbs agree with masks and social distancing, hand washing etc but also think its a good idea to invite 6 friends over to the house for cans. Dumb and Dumber.

TJ, they have the choice if they want to risk getting a mild flu and bring it into their household. I doubt they would take that risk if they have someone vulnerable in the house. They wear a mask in case they have picked it up somewhere and to help stop the spread to others. That is the reality that most people are basing their behaviour off of
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

There is no right answer. Lockdowns work to a degree but I think will only really work if we do a full one. With construction, schools, many shops still open, kids still out playing, teams still training, I can’t see numbers coming down.

I would say we live in level 2 or 3 but with a ban on household visits. This way, when people do meet out they can do so in more controlled environments. In addition, there should be guidance that maybe you should only meet with one other household so you are preventing big gatherings. This way, the economy remains open and it’s not that much different than what we are currently living under. Then as babbs says, it will be up to the individual to decide if they want to go out or stay at home.

The reality is, a large percentage of the population are not scared of the virus because it’s just a mild flu for most, it’s not the plague which people feared the first time round when there were videos of people dropping dead in China, etc. 
So people are living within the rules so I think we need to find the happy medium to protect the vulnerable but keep the economy going. So my policy is level 2 with indoor household visit bans
But we tried to find a happy medium and it didn't work

It may be true that the virus will not be harmful for most, but it is very dangerous for a considerable proportion of the population

There is also plenty of evidence that Covid may be harmful in the long term to a minority of younger people who would not expect it to be so

The behaviour of the majority of the population determines the consequences for a minority

It is simply not the case that that majority of the population can behave as they like without consequences for the vulnerable

It's a collective action problem dependent on the behaviour of all of society 

Collective action problems require widespread buy in from the population

And when that doesn't happen, the whole population suffers

The focus needs to be on creating a long term suppression strategy - but that will also require collective action - that's the only way we can deal with this

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:20am

TJ, they have the choice if they want to risk getting a mild flu and bring it into their household. I doubt they would take that risk if they have someone vulnerable in the house. They wear a mask in case they have picked it up somewhere and to help stop the spread to others. That is the reality that most people are basing their behaviour off of
But if they get the virus, they can pass it on to somebody to who does have somebody vulnerable in their house or workplace

You are framing it as a situation where personal actions can only have consequences for that person 

That is not the case, the consequences are passed on to others
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:22am

But we tried to find a happy medium and it didn't work

It may be true that the virus will not be harmful for most, but it is very dangerous for a considerable proportion of the population

There is also plenty of evidence that Covid may be harmful in the long term to a minority of younger people who would not expect it to be so

The behaviour of the majority of the population determines the consequences for a minority

It is simply not the case that that majority of the population can behave as they like without consequences for the vulnerable

It's a collective action problem dependent on the behaviour of all of society 

Collective action problems require widespread buy in from the population

And when that doesn't happen, the whole population suffers

The focus needs to be on creating a long term suppression strategy - but that will also require collective action - that's the only way we can deal with this

We haven’t seen if level 2 with household bans will work as we haven’t tried it yet. We also haven’t seen if level 5 is as effective as they think it will be. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

A few thoughts on this..it obvious the 'fear factor' which was the catylast for people's behaviour in the early months of the pandemic has dissipated in the last few months. While it is true that increased number of cases had led to an increase in ICU and hospitalization it would appear that a lot of people are prepared to accept this as the numbers are currently a level which is not comparable with earlier in the year. The mixed messages and general clock ups be it with the LC, Clifden, Hand Sanitizers had made a lot reflect on the way things are being handled and weakened support for restrictions. 

But the consequence is ever growing virus spread which reinforces that circle of hospitalisation and ICU admittance

The consequence of increased hospitalisations and ICU admittance is lockdowns because the consequence of not locking down is the overwhelming of the health system and a significant increase in all cause mortality

And I very much doubt most people are prepared to accept this

So we need to discuss what it is that people are really prepared to accept

There is a dishonesty in public discourse about this 

Again, we need a long term strategy and this is where the debate needs to move

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:32am
This is not the narrative we are seeing on social media

Which shows that social media is not necessarily representative

https://twitter.com/businessposthq/status/1320288992487723008

The latest Business Post/Red C poll finds that 66 per cent are in favour of new restrictions and on-the-spot fines, while a major pharma firm predicts 100 million doses of vaccine will be ready by the end of the year.
and report
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:34am

But if they get the virus, they can pass it on to somebody to who does have somebody vulnerable in their house or workplace

You are framing it as a situation where personal actions can only have consequences for that person 

That is not the case, the consequences are passed on to others

Yes I know the worst case scenario is that someone at the gathering had the virus and it passes to you and then from you to others but if we want to eliminate the risk then we should lock down completely because there is just as much risk (probably more) that your child brings it home from school. 

I know every little helps so the more we do, the more we reduce and I do think household visits should be banned at the moment but I can see why people will take the risk because as said, the risk is there anyway as we have only locked down some things but not others. 
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:43am

Nothing dumb about it. I’ve just made the personal decision that I want to live with the virus and get on with life as much as I can. I’ll wear a mask and practice social distancing to try and protect others. Actually now that I think of it, that’s not much different to the fella looking to get on tv at Walkinstown Roundabout - perhaps it’s a case of Dumb and Dumber and Dumberer!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 406407408409410 839>
  Share Topic