You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 839>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:09am
A country which has zero restrictions in place is never a safe place. 
Sweden has low numbers too, but it just means it's just going stagger forever there, which is the most likely scenario in Portugal

Also worth nothing the virus is accelerating at it's fastest ever pace right now.
Brazil posted it's highest daily total on Monday of 55,200 cases in 1 day
USA posted it's highest in 1 day today of 47,200
India today 18,900

As predicted Latin America is being absolutely overrun by it - The minor countries such as Peru and Chile are in worse than UK/Italy territory, simply because they don't have the infrastructure to deal with it, god knows what the tyrant in Venezuela is doing but it's pretty obvious he's fabricating numbers.

I'd probably say Tenerife is 1 of the safer places to go, an island south of continent, not really a spot for stag parties etc, most lads holidays tend to be in Magaluf or Ibiza, or Albufeira in Portugal. Just based on them factors alone I'd much rather be in Tenerife.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:45am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Sweden has low numbers too, but it just means it's just going stagger forever there, which is the most likely scenario in Portugal

Also worth nothing the virus is accelerating at it's fastest ever pace right now.
India today 18,900

As predicted Latin America is being absolutely overrun by it - The minor countries such as Peru and Chile are in worse than UK/Italy territory, simply because they don't have the infrastructure to deal with it, god knows what the tyrant in Venezuela is doing but it's pretty obvious he's fabricating numbers.

I'd probably say Tenerife is 1 of the safer places to go, an island south of continent, not really a spot for stag parties etc, most lads holidays tend to be in Magaluf or Ibiza, or Albufeira in Portugal. Just based on them factors alone I'd much rather be in Tenerife.

Slightly separate note but does anyone know why Aer Lingus are still doing daily flights to a few US cities? They can only be loss making - is it to keep slots? All the US carriers have stopped flights
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 10:43am

India today 18,900

Where are you getting that from? Sweden reported 1610 new cases on Wednesday, and the overall trend of new cases per day there is still rising. Their death rate is falling though, there were zero deaths reported on Friday
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:20pm
Liverpool fans still celebrating in the city in large crowds. The city was hit hard and they'll be hit hard again. You'll Never Walk Alone 
It would damage this forums' reputation
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

India today 18,900

Where are you getting that from? Sweden reported 1610 new cases on Wednesday, and the overall trend of new cases per day there is still rising. Their death rate is falling though, there were zero deaths reported on Friday

1610 is an extremely low number, but if you continued reading the next part their issue that the virus will be in the general circulation for months to come. 

If they had gotten 1610 cases back in April, they'd be celebrating. That's the whole point of Herd immunity.

Edited by coyne - 28 Jun 2020 at 12:26pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:42pm
Sweden is f**ked. It was an experiment for a few weeks to see if the herd immunity worked. It hasn't, their death toll is 10 times their neighbours Finland and Norway who took the locdown approach, and the her immunity never materialised (they reckon they're about 15% while the rest of Europe is at 10%, without the excess deaths). 

They said did it to save the economy but that hasn't worked either as most of their trading aprtners who they are dependent on are in a lockdown and recession. 
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Sweden is f**ked. It was an experiment for a few weeks to see if the herd immunity worked. It hasn't, their death toll is 10 times their neighbours Finland and Norway who took the locdown approach, and the her immunity never materialised (they reckon they're about 15% while the rest of Europe is at 10%, without the excess deaths). 

They said did it to save the economy but that hasn't worked either as most of their trading aprtners who they are dependent on are in a lockdown and recession. 
the jury is very much out on how long the antibodies remain in the body especially those who have had light to no symptoms. The herd immunity approach is a serious gamble.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:32pm

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

India today 18,900

1610 is an extremely low number, but if you continued reading the next part their issue that the virus will be in the general circulation for months to come. 

If they had gotten 1610 cases back in April, they'd be celebrating. That's the whole point of Herd immunity.

New cases per day in April vary between 300 and 830. If they celebrated 1610 cases in one day at any point in April, something would have been seriously, seriously wrong.

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 28 Jun 2020 at 4:33pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:02pm
I take it you don’t know what herd immunity is then.

The higher the figure the better so it’ll fizzle out as it will run out of people to infect. Getting only 800 cases is part of the problem.

The Swedish scientists took the exact same data as the British scientists, except 1 team said it would fizzle out by October, and the other team said it’ll stagnate well into 2021, which has been proven correct hence why Boris took the U-Turn.

It’s a gamble which had been lauded as a success at first but with virus in general circulation in Swedish society for the long term bec of the low numbers and countries opening back up, absolutely no one wants business with them, not even their own neighbours 

Edited by coyne - 28 Jun 2020 at 5:15pm
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

India today 18,900

Slightly separate note but does anyone know why Aer Lingus are still doing daily flights to a few US cities? They can only be loss making - is it to keep slots? All the US carriers have stopped flights

I used to work in aer lingus and a friend of mine who still works there told me that the flights to the States are full with cargo. He said that there was very few passengers on any of them and he saw one flight to New York a few weeks back that had only one passenger on it. 

They were also flying the A330's which normally do the American flights to Beijing bringing back ppe. They were doing 2 or 3 flights a day but the last flight was one of the days last week. There were plans for ppe flights to Seoul in South Korea as well but it was knocked on the head. He was on the Beijing flights 3 or 4 times, it was a 28 hour trip with 4 hours on the ground over there. 

2 of the Beijing flights turned back after take off, one had a bird strike on an engine not long after take off at the end of march and last week one turned back while over St Petersburg because of a fire monitoring system fault than appeared during the flight. Both landed with no problems. 

Let Christy Take It.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:07am
I personally think the way the Swedes have done it is the correct way. Time will show. In terms of the overall deaths within the population they have had the same number of deaths so far this year than they had at the same time last year. Anders Tegnell is a very interesting individual. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

I personally think the way the Swedes have done it is the correct way. Time will show. In terms of the overall deaths within the population they have had the same number of deaths so far this year than they had at the same time last year. Anders Tegnell is a very interesting individual. 

Where is your source for this?
The FT reckon they have had approx 4.5k more deaths than the 5 year average.
Iceland and Norway have shown no differences.

But I did read an article that if Sweden had of done the same but protected their care homes their numbers would have been very low.
Like most countries the virus has been deadly in care homes. 

Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:19am
Philip O'Connor irish journalist over there had a one on one interview with him last week. he was also on Eamonn Dunphys podcast last saturday talking about it. 
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

But I did read an article that if Sweden had of done the same but protected their care homes their numbers would have been very low.

I think it is the running average of deaths in the last month or so is now in line with previous years showing no excess mortality. But overall in 2020 there is a large amount of excess mortality and they are not denying it. They think however that they will be able to control the spread of the disease from now on and suppress outbreaks, but think other countries will struggle to do the same. Only time will tell who is right.

Edited by EdisonCavani - 29 Jun 2020 at 9:43am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:23am

Here's where Sweden fits into the picture, far above their neighbours (50.7 deaths per 100,000 people — far above the 10.4 deaths per 100,000 in Denmark, the 5.9 deaths in Finland and 4.7 deaths in Norway.)

One benefit of the strategy was to get the country "immune" so the disease will have nowhere to go and drop off. Tegnell predicted 40% of the country would be immune by end May, whereas it only got to 6.1% so their death toll isn't going to reduce anytime soon on this strategy.

The other benefit was to keep the economy open, but the figures are coming through now. Comparing with their closest neighbour economically (Denmark), both had 2% increases in unemployment, both had 37% reductions in new car registrations, basically they got the exact same economic outcome they would have got if they'd kept the people alive.

And now going into the summer, the rest of Europe can reopen with people mad to go spend, while Sweedes are suddenly going to get itchy feet and realise it's got the highest rate of Coronavirus in Europe and start edging away from their pubs and coffee shops.

There's times 2 months ago I'd have loved to live in Sweden, but now that we've gone through the worst of the lockdown, we're definitely in a better place

Edited by Shedite - 29 Jun 2020 at 11:25am
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:45am
Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

I think it is the running average of deaths in the last month or so is now in line with previous years showing no excess mortality. But overall in 2020 there is a large amount of excess mortality and they are not denying it. They think however that they will be able to control the spread of the disease from now on and suppress outbreaks, but think other countries will struggle to do the same. Only time will tell who is right.

UK excess deaths nearing 70000 - no wonder Johnson doesn't want a public enquiry

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

UK excess deaths nearing 70000 - no wonder Johnson doesn't want a public enquiry

NR are you working again in England ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

NR are you working again in England ?

Yeah was back a couple of week ago LOL , headed this week, next week and the week after
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 839>
  Share Topic