You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 233234235236237 839>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:17am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Lots of pubs have been doing some takeaway food and beer, I don't have a problem with that and have even used them to keep them open, but I passed one pub on my way back from a walk yesterday and there was a dozen people outside drinking from plastic cups. They may as well have let them in to sit down. Cummings was the final straw and it was unquestionably deliberate. 

I've been told the law here regarding take away pints is that they cant consumed within 100 meters of the pub. Not sure if there's any truth to it.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Lots of pubs have been doing some takeaway food and beer, I don't have a problem with that and have even used them to keep them open, but I passed one pub on my way back from a walk yesterday and there was a dozen people outside drinking from plastic cups. They may as well have let them in to sit down. Cummings was the final straw and it was unquestionably deliberate. 

I've been told the law here regarding take away pints is that they cant consumed within 100 meters of the pub. Not sure if there's any truth to it.
That's the law for off-licenses at home and I presume will be applied to the pubs as that is what they will be. But legally people aren't allowed gather outside drinking here at the moment either. The problem is people ignoring the law and pubs not caring as long as money is coming in. Irish vintners have a history of being flexible with the law provided there is financial gain to be had.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

wwhy do you think it didn't happen?  Were the doomsday predictions wrong? No.  Unprecedented action was taken never before seen in history and 95% of international travel was halted for a 3 month period and counting.  We were also lucky that it didn't turn out as bad as happened elsewhere mainly because we got a 3 or 4 week alarm call from Europe's guinea pigs Italy and then Spain.  

The 'wave' you say won't happen. How do you know this? My guess is you haven't a bulls notion my son. 

Now its a media storm in a teacup!

Remember the myth about the hospitals being "overwhelmed". That never happened either. It's all hysterical bullsht, to sell  more papers and watch more news. Which plenty like you, are falling for.

The last pandemic was 100 years ago. Dunphy wrote last week that there is another wave on the way, because it "always happens" with pandemics. He's a journalist not a doctor, and like the rest of us, he hasn't lived through a pandemic before. So he doesn't know what he's talking about either. 

The vast majority of people who have contracted the virus have and will make a full recovery. Many don't even know they have it. Approx 40 cases per day in a population of 4m+, is not sufficient grounds for persisting with lockdown measures nationwide. They have mainly been implemented based on half truths, doomsday scenarios and inaccurate presumptions. So rash decisions are being taken on rubbish info. 

Just because you don't accept all the lies, fake news, and wrong decisions from incompetent authorities and this rejected government full of washed up ex-TD's imposing draconian measures on the nation, wrecking our society, economy, and job prospects while they're at it, doesn't mean you automatically want the country to return to what it was, tomorrow. But the data doesn't lie. There was 6 deaths yesterday, 9 the day before, and 0 the other day. The virus is gone as far as Ireland is concerned, and the sooner those killjoys in charge realise it, the sooner we can return to some degree of normality and begin the recovery. That's what the rest of Europe is doing, and that's what we need to do.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Remember the myth about the hospitals being "overwhelmed". That never happened either. It's all hysterical bullsht, to sell  more papers and watch more news. Which plenty like you, are falling for.
Our hospitals were not overwhelmed because our care homes were overwhelmed instead.

But to you, those who died in care homes are not even people. 

Edited by sid waddell - 30 May 2020 at 12:40pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:47pm

wwhy do you think it didn't happen?  Were the doomsday predictions wrong? No.  Unprecedented action was taken never before seen in history and 95% of international travel was halted for a 3 month period and counting.  We were also lucky that it didn't turn out as bad as happened elsewhere mainly because we got a 3 or 4 week alarm call from Europe's guinea pigs Italy and then Spain.  

The 'wave' you say won't happen. How do you know this? My guess is you haven't a bulls notion my son. 

The last pandemic was 100 years ago. Dunphy wrote last week that there is another wave on the way, because it "always happens" with pandemics. He's a journalist not a doctor, and like the rest of us, he hasn't lived through a pandemic before. So he doesn't know what he's talking about either. 

The vast majority of people who have contracted the virus have and will make a full recovery. Many don't even know they have it. Approx 40 cases per day in a population of 4m+, is not sufficient grounds for persisting with lockdown measures nationwide. They have mainly been implemented based on half truths, doomsday scenarios and inaccurate presumptions. So rash decisions are being taken on rubbish info. 

Just because you don't accept all the lies, fake news, and wrong decisions from incompetent authorities and this rejected government full of washed up ex-TD's imposing draconian measures on the nation, wrecking our society, economy, and job prospects while they're at it, doesn't mean you automatically want the country to return to what it was, tomorrow. But the data doesn't lie. There was 6 deaths yesterday, 9 the day before, and 0 the other day. The virus is gone as far as Ireland is concerned, and the sooner those killjoys in charge realise it, the sooner we can return to some degree of normality and begin the recovery. That's what the rest of Europe is doing, and that's what we need to do.
You sir are an idiot.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:56pm
As a sometimes idiot myself, I find that comparison offensive.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:58pm

do you believe any of your writings or are you just looking for attention?

The cases per day are because of the lockdown and people’s commitments to it.
The hospitals aren’t overwhelmed because of the lockdown, people’s commitment to it and all the people who work in our hospitals. Less pissed clients turning up at A n E may also have helped.

We are following the rest of Europe but to our schedule- not Greece’s or the Czechs or any other country. Each country has its own social / political / economic agendas.

Dunphy - who gives a f**k what he has to say?
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:09pm

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

What about the millions of children that will starve to death due to a world shut down? 

More lives will be lost because of the lockdowns, as economic downturns have always historically correlated with higher death rates for a variety of reasons. 

It's not so black and white - and the politicians have hard decisions to make. 

You rarely hear anyone concerned about starving kids in the world in 'normal time' and now suddenly people are 'concerned' about them because they don't like being stuck at home when its 25c outside. 

Some people aren't presumably too worried about the millions dying from covid. 

Some of your replies since yesterday, while amusing are kinda disturbing. 

As for the millions dying from Covid that's news to me. 
It stands at 350k - assuming it's more than double due to countries lying or properly been able to account for them you'd be doing well to hit 1 million. 

Here is the first study on economics and child deaths I did in a quick google search. 1981 -2010 
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5435251/

But they generally aren't white or western so who cares. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:13pm
See the Greeks have published a list of 29 countries who they will welcome tourists from. Ireland not on the list. Speculation is  this is because of the dreadful situation in the UK and out connection with them with the border. Might affect us when Spain, Portugal etc opens up to foreign tourists..
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:14pm
If you think just 350k worldwide have died of Covid, I have some magic beans to sell you.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

See the Greeks have published a list of 29 countries who they will welcome tourists from. Ireland not on the list. Speculation is  this is because of the dreadful situation in the UK and out connection with them with the border. Might affect us when Spain, Portugal etc opens up to foreign tourists..

Spain are opening up to everyone from July 1st so it won't.

The Greeks are another Nation who depend on tourism to survive so it's their loss really.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

The hospitals aren’t overwhelmed because of the lockdown, people’s commitment to it and all the people who work in our hospitals. Less pissed clients turning up at A n E may also have helped.

We are following the rest of Europe but to our schedule- not Greece’s or the Czechs or any other country. Each country has its own social / political / economic agendas

We were specifically told back in March, that these measures had to be introduced to protect hospitals, not care homes or other settings. So the hospitals have been protected, to such an extent that the public are too scared to go to hospitals for non virus related reasons. That's what they have done. Scared people. Now we have 25% unemployment, our economy is in free fall, and our tourist industry is on it's knees. How many years are we going to have to put up with the consequences of all this? 

We cannot continue to fork out €350 a week to people who can't work because of this. Someday, someone in charge is going to have to get a grip and say, "we have to begin to open up and get the recovery going" . 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:11pm

1968/9 I'm sure Dunphy was alive and well then 

As for the rest of your post Confused
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

If you think just 350k worldwide have died of Covid, I have some magic beans to sell you.

Might help if you read till the end of my sentence Wink

but maybe your too busy on American websites arguing with right wing gun nuts 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

do you believe any of your writings or are you just looking for attention?

We are following the rest of Europe but to our schedule- not Greece’s or the Czechs or any other country. Each country has its own social / political / economic agendas.

Dunphy - who gives a f**k what he has to say?

Maybe less social interaction has impacted but people drink more at home or in unsupervised environments
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Might help if you read till the end of my sentence Wink

but maybe your too busy on American websites arguing with right wing gun nuts 

The GAA Board ain’t American 
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 3:44pm

But Colm O'Rourke is telling us "we need less caution", and he's apparently a respected figure in the community, so he must know what he's talking about, right?

He's an expert virologist and epidemiologist, right?

What makes your opinion any more legitimate than Colm O’Rourke’s? He’s had a career where he’s spent years teaching young people, so unless you’re an expert virologist or epidemiologist, you’re not better placed to advise on lockdown measures. Bouncing from one online forum to the next doesn’t validate your opinion any more than O’Rourke’s.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

But Colm O'Rourke is telling us "we need less caution", and he's apparently a respected figure in the community, so he must know what he's talking about, right?

He's an expert virologist and epidemiologist, right?

What makes your opinion any more legitimate than Colm O’Rourke’s? He’s had a career where he’s spent years teaching young people, so unless you’re an expert virologist or epidemiologist, you’re not better placed to advise on lockdown measures. Bouncing from one online forum to the next doesn’t validate your opinion any more than O’Rourke’s.

Nothing. I suppose the difference is that unlike Colm, I don't dismiss the views of people who know what they're talking about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 233234235236237 839>
  Share Topic