You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 839>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 3:31am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Why does the UK have such a high death rate from the virus.

38,000 cases with 3600 deaths is like absurdly high.

And it's not just elderly/vulnerable people either. We've had 13 year old boys, 30 year old healthy men and women

As Ive said before: poor threshold for testing.
The virus is everywhere in the UK. Its rampant.
Death rate has to be way lower than what figures suggest. 30-40k cases of covid-19 in UK - no chance its anywhere near that low.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:18am
The figures in the US are incredible.

Sweden whereby it's business as usual, their numbers are still quite low at 6k.

Belarus still only at 350
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:26am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The figures in the US are incredible.

Sweden whereby it's business as usual, their numbers are still quite low at 6k.

They are going down the route to trust individuals to be sensible.
A lot are wfh and keeping social distancing.

It’s probably similar to the UK but they don’t need to enforce people to kop on.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:29am
Belarus’ government is recommending vodka and saunas to stop the virus 
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

And it's not just elderly/vulnerable people either. We've had 13 year old boys, 30 year old healthy men and women

Death rate has to be way lower than what figures suggest. 30-40k cases of covid-19 in UK - no chance its anywhere near that low.

The issue is no one with the virus is being recorded. I'm just coming out of 2 weeks of this virus. My whole household had it, yet none of us will be recorded despite calling 111/ local GP. The figures are completely made up. The virus is everywhere here in london. Most people will get it over the next month or so.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

The issue is no one with the virus is being recorded. I'm just coming out of 2 weeks of this virus. My whole household had it, yet none of us will be recorded despite calling 111/ local GP. The figures are completely made up. The virus is everywhere here in london. Most people will get it over the next month or so.

Absolutely agreed.
I had a friend who had it about 5 weeks ago, rang 111 and they said its likely the common cold, isolate but you’re not for testing.

Posted about it on here actually and one poster took me to task over it for reasons still unclear to me. Since then Ive had friends who are doctors become ill after confirmed contact with a Covid Positive patient (who wasnt even suspected covid when they were treating the pt) and they were told sorry no tests, isolate.
No contact tracing, no test, end of story.
Been a joke in the UK since Day one and I’ve said that all along.

As for the PPE, (personal protective equipment) I wont even let myself get started on that, on this lovely Saturday!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 11:59am

Absolutely agreed.
I had a friend who had it about 5 weeks ago, rang 111 and they said its likely the common cold, isolate but you’re not for testing.

Posted about it on here actually and one poster took me to task over it for reasons still unclear to me. Since then Ive had friends who are doctors become ill after confirmed contact with a Covid Positive patient (who wasnt even suspected covid when they were treating the pt) and they were told sorry no tests, isolate.
No contact tracing, no test, end of story.
Been a joke in the UK since Day one and I’ve said that all along.

As for the PPE, (personal protective equipment) I wont even let myself get started on that, on this lovely Saturday!
I took the piss, and I really cannot be any clearer about this, because you said she was a doctor who did nothing about it. That is negligent. Your friend should either be struck off for negligence or ****ishness.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It should be f**king headline news!

Im fuming at the advice she got.

That was my point.
That would be up to her really. Either she is withholding something that needs to be shared with the media, which, if she is indeed a medical professional, could be considered negligent or it didn’t happen.

If she is a doctor, surely she can contact another doctor to recognise the symptoms, rather than a generic national emergency number. I know I am naturally cynically, but it just doesn’t add up.

She spoke to me as a doctor and I advised she contact her occupational health dept where a nurse told her she doesnt need a test.

She is smart enough to continue self isolation.

But the threshold for testing is clearly a lot higher than it is in Ireland.

My view is the UK and the NHS are too lax on this.
Im entitled to that opinion whether others agree or not!
Firstly, can you point out where I disagreed on the NHS being lax? The British response has been pathetic.  Nevertheless, I am still sceptical, and will remain so, that this is bullsh*t and that misinformation is dangerous, not just regarding the current situation but about the political misuse of it and the NHS role in that.

Secondly, you aren’t being clear, there feels like punctuation might be missing;  is she a doctor or are you? Or both? If so, why is she contacting a doctor in another country?Why did she ring 111? If she is a doctor, surely she knows another doctor nearer by? Why then go to a nurse and just accept it? Surely you would go higher up immediately? It is absolutely bizarre and completely illogical.

If I was told that I would feel obliged to tell the media. Given I have no medical qualifications I am not sure how seriously I would be taken, given she is, possibly, a doctor she would be taken as more genuine. 

I think this was where I had the difficulty understanding and why it felt apocryphal, at best. There has been far too much 'purple monkey dishwasher' stuff since this broke out.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:10pm
Struck off? Embarrassed For what?
Getting Coronavirus? LOL
She did everything correctly. Self isolated. Phoned 111. Phoned occupational health at her hospital.
End of story.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:15pm

Getting Coronavirus? LOL
She did everything correctly. Self isolated. Phoned 111. Phoned occupational health at her hospital.
End of story.

And left it at that? Come on, nobody can possibly think that is right! I don't think a doctor should, or could, see failings like that and shrug their shoulders. Again, back to my original questions; why did she ring you? Why not get an opinion from another doctor? I know doctors aren't supposed to self-diagnose, but if she was sure she got it she would surely have spoken to somebody else? 
My language is deliberately hyperbolic because you are using an apocryphal story to prove a point. That your point is correct doesn't make using it correct. I would say it is part of the problem.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:22pm

Getting Coronavirus? LOL
End of story.

And left it at that? Come on, nobody can possibly think that is right! I don't think a doctor should, or could, see failings like that and shrug their shoulders. Again, back to my original questions; why did she ring you? Why not get an opinion from another doctor? I know doctors aren't supposed to self-diagnose, but if she was sure she got it she would surely have spoken to somebody else? 
My language is deliberately hyperbolic because you are using an apocryphal story to prove a point. That your point is correct doesn't make using it correct. I would say it is part of the problem.

sometimes i think you just throw about uncommon words to try win a joust. apocryphal ffs. Uncertain would have done or doubtful.  
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Getting Coronavirus? LOL
End of story.

sometimes i think you just throw about uncommon words to try win a joust. apocryphal ffs. Uncertain would have done or doubtful.  
But not as accurate.
Also, wouldn't 'debate' or 'argument'  have done?

Edited by pre Madonna - 04 Apr 2020 at 12:49pm
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:26pm

Getting Coronavirus? LOL
End of story.

She spoke to a few doctors. Not that that was necessary. She was pyrexial for three days, with dry cough, SOB, and sore throat.

Unfortunately nobody can prove they have it currently without the swab test. She was denied a test. Since then loads more people have been denied it too. Thats not a secret. Its openly the policy in at least one NHS Trust not to test healthcare staff but instead tell them to isolate if symptomatic (this may have changed since but was the case two weeks ago).

So we still disagree. No problem.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:28pm

Getting Coronavirus? LOL
End of story.

She spoke to a few doctors. Not that that was necessary. She was pyrexial for three days, with dry cough, SOB, and sore throat.

Unfortunately nobody can prove they have it currently without the swab test. She was denied a test. Since then loads more people have been denied it too. Thats not a secret. Its openly the policy in at least one NHS Trust not to test healthcare staff but instead tell them to isolate if symptomatic (this may have changed since but was the case two weeks ago).

So we still disagree. No problem.
Like I said, we are agreed in why you felt the need to make the point, it is the how that makes me sceptical. If my scepticism is unwarranted, I apologise, but that is how it feels. When a story confirms my bias, but still leaves me with more questions than answers, that scepticism kicks in.
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:39pm
i don't get this debate. If you have it, there's nothing you can do. you cant go to a hospital (unless you cant breath) and you cant go to your GP. There's no point calling 111 because it takes over an over to get through and then they tell you to self isolate for 14 days.

you cant prove you have it unless you can test. and you cant. NHS staff now can test (not easily i might add) but that only came in last week. i have a cousin who is a junior doctor and he's been told to work until he physically cant. he's been told everyone will get this.

its a complete sh*t show here in the UK and there will be a huge death toll here.

Edited by randyrandolph - 04 Apr 2020 at 12:40pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:44pm

i don't get this debate. If you have it, there's nothing you can do. you cant go to a hospital (unless you cant breath) and you cant go to your GP. There's no point calling 111 because it takes over an over to get through and then they tell you to self isolate for 14 days.

you cant prove you have it unless you can test. and you cant. NHS staff now can test (not easily i might add) but that only came in last week. i have a cousin who is a junior doctor and he's been told to work until he physically cant. he's been told everyone will get this.

its a complete sh*t show here in the UK and there will be a huge death toll here.

Pedantry; boredom; my nature , they would be the three main ones.

Your last line is, unfortunately, entirely correct. I think Britain and USA will be the two countries to be hit worst by the outbreak, due to complete mismanagement of it. There is probably a link to the voracious capitalist nature of both states and governments, but it isn't really the time for that either.

Edited by pre Madonna - 04 Apr 2020 at 12:44pm
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The Russians might come along and tell yer man there what to do. They normally do.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:04pm

Pedantry; boredom; my nature , they would be the three main ones.

Your last line is, unfortunately, entirely correct. I think Britain and USA will be the two countries to be hit worst by the outbreak, due to complete mismanagement of it. There is probably a link to the voracious capitalist nature of both states and governments, but it isn't really the time for that either.

Even Trump called Boris’ strategy crap. It’s a bit like getting kicked by an amputee.

The main downfall was choosing 1 plan then backing out of it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 839>
  Share Topic