You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 634635636637638 839>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Disagree there. Tony Blair and his  neoliberalism broke Scotland. They left Scotland and the SNP, for better or worse, filled the void.
it wasn't just tony blair. with labour it was decades upon decades of taking the voter for granted. it held its block of over 40-60 scottish mp seats right up to the disastrous 2015 election when it was trounced, losing all but one mp. 

what happened was people woke up and could see the energetic and dynamic snp were an alternative to the old politics. for similar reasons albeit with a helping hand from maggie the tories felt the wrath of the voter. both parties combined are now struggling to draw a third of the electorate. the biggest danger for the snp is complacency. they are within touching distance of independence. demographics is on their side. it might be 10 years away but that is nothing in the grand scheme of things. 
The fact that the Tories were no better than Labour is what broke Scotland. It probably started with Kinnock, admittedly,  but Blair ignored Scotland, Wales and most of England. The SNP just gave an alternative. That's why I hate Blair more than Thatcher. Despicable man.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

It's an effin joke Andy. Decades of screwing up the health service has finally come home to roost with this pandemic. If HSE was in any way fit for service we wouldn't need to have such a long lock down. 

Countries with far better health systems than ours have had worse death rates than us.  

Reading social media and many aspects of the media you would think that Ireland is one of the worst performers in the world.  As Murph told me bad news sells and he is right. 

The media has been a disgrace during this. The likes of George Lee on a couple of weeks ago for example blaming pubs and restaurants for the numbers not going down enough at the moment! Totally farcical. Continually having doom pedlars on that have been completely off the mark with their predictions...RE social media, I wonder what our response would been like 12 years ago before social media properly took off. I think it looks embarassing for the country if we become the only one of the hosts to pull out now despite our low incidence and hospital rates. The only plus side is that JD used to sh*te on about getting the Euros here and now they won't be staged hereLOL
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

It's an effin joke Andy. Decades of screwing up the health service has finally come home to roost with this pandemic. If HSE was in any way fit for service we wouldn't need to have such a long lock down. 

Countries with far better health systems than ours have had worse death rates than us.  

Reading social media and many aspects of the media you would think that Ireland is one of the worst performers in the world.  As Murph told me bad news sells and he is right. 

The media has been a disgrace during this. The likes of George Lee on a couple of weeks ago for example blaming pubs and restaurants for the numbers not going down enough at the moment! Totally farcical. Continually having doom pedlars on that have been completely off the mark with their predictions...RE social media, I wonder what our response would been like 12 years ago before social media properly took off. I think it looks embarassing for the country if we become the only one of the hosts to pull out now despite our low incidence and hospital rates. The only plus side is that JD used to sh*te on about getting the Euros here and now they won't be staged hereLOL
our low hospital and incidence rate is because of the harsh lockdown and the reason for the harsh lockdown is to do with the fact our health service is in a dreadful state. the country has one of the lowest numbers of icu beds per 100k and yet we have one of the highest costs per patient. its symptomatic of a dysfunctional health service. the government know they can't open up as it would lead to the health service becoming overwhelmed. 

while it is disappointing, and i am pissed about it, giving up hosting it in dublin is the right thing to do. it didn't have to happen though is my point i.e had we a properly run health service.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 12:12pm
There is more to it than just the health services capacity. Lower hospital numbers and incidence rates are also influenced by the, albeit slow, vaccination rates. People are also more educated on virus transmission and as a result are taking greater precautions including the use of masks. Lockdown is a vital part of it, but it only can do so much any more, as I think the issue of community transmission needs to be examined, and in truth, the likelihood is there are a great number of responsible people who are not mixing, and are abiding by the rules, and those that aren't. Also, there is a lot of focus on things like international travel, which seems not to have the impacts that people conjecture.

The media, and social media ought to be scrutinised, as it is playing a major part in the paralysis of the creation of a roadmap. Government doesnt necessarily want to be seen making decisions on its own (outsourcing to others allows them to point fingers), and there is now a number of political footballs on the field including things like Zero Covid, vaccine prioritisation, hotel quarantine, which are deflections. But these are certainly getting an airing on Twitter, and it does seem like Ireland sometimes is run by what people on social media say.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 12:55pm
I don't know what the rules are, if any, about access to vaccines outside of the EU block sourcing scheme. But it's not one of the areas I think I'd give the government a pass on. 

Denmark gets mentioned a lot, and Prime Time covered it about two weeks ago and I only saw their figures as fractionally better than Ireland's at the time it was aired. This link today says they have vaccinated 10% so about the same as Ireland https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/denmark/
Austria bought 1m of the Russian Sputnik vaccine but they can't use it until the EMA approves it. So what happens if the EMA doesn't approve it? The Austrian government will look clueless if that happened. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

It's such an Irish thing to vote for a party because your parents voted for them !
Yeah that's fairly standard.

In the states you are born Democrat or Republican

In UK you're born Labour or Tory
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 1:16pm
That's the ideal why Labour lost the working class. According to Peter Mandelson, at least, the working class had nowhere to go, so they needed to appeal beyond that. ****s.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 1:16pm
I'm glad my mother went into Labour I don't like to think what would have happend if she went into Tory with me
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 1:24pm

It's such an Irish thing to vote for a party because your parents voted for them !

Recent results would suggest people are definitely breaking away from that. However, what is happening is that people are voting for other parties that have pilfered the FF/FG playbook by offering the sun the moon and the stars, not explaining how they will achieve it, leveraging the anger at the establishment, and pointing towards 'change' when the reality is you'll either get more of the same in Government, or you get the party of opposition that is not truly interested in government, or is open about it being. a party of opposition.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I don't know what the rules are, if any, about access to vaccines outside of the EU block sourcing scheme. But it's not one of the areas I think I'd give the government a pass on. 

Denmark gets mentioned a lot, and Prime Time covered it about two weeks ago and I only saw their figures as fractionally better than Ireland's at the time it was aired. This link today says they have vaccinated 10% so about the same as Ireland https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/denmark/
Austria bought 1m of the Russian Sputnik vaccine but they can't use it until the EMA approves it. So what happens if the EMA doesn't approve it? The Austrian government will look clueless if that happened. 

the austrians don't need the ema to approve it. they can grant authorisation themselves. in the short term it may impact on the so-called vaccine passport the eu are looking into but the ema will probably approve the vaccine in the coming month or so anyway making that issue redundant. the hungarians have been distributing it to every man and his dog since february and would you blame them given the turmoil that country has gone through. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Recent results would suggest people are definitely breaking away from that. However, what is happening is that people are voting for other parties that have pilfered the FF/FG playbook by offering the sun the moon and the stars, not explaining how they will achieve it, leveraging the anger at the establishment, and pointing towards 'change' when the reality is you'll either get more of the same in Government, or you get the party of opposition that is not truly interested in government, or is open about it being. a party of opposition.

which is a dangerous road to go down as sooner or later a far right maggot will appear promising sunlit uplands as the british would say. there's a residue of them about. it wouldn't take much for them to get a foothold.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:09pm

Why is this?

I asked this before as it was mentioned elsewhere that Ireland need to look beyond the EU (Russia,US or Israel) to source vaccines.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:02pm
if they use it before it’s approved they would have to indemnify the manufacturers much the same as Boris did when the Uk started using az

Edited by gufct - 08 Apr 2021 at 3:03pm
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:41pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

only logical that your parents would raise you based on their principles & views and that you in turn would see the world in the same way and vote the same way. Then grow up, cop on and realise that it's all a load of bollix.

If I have kids they'll be told from a young age the time FG TD Olivia Mitchel put a campaign poster up at the crossroads in Ballyroan blocking the filter light for turning left and causing much anger. I'm not one to hold a grudge but I remind people of this a good few times a year.
LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 7:00pm
A million doses Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:23pm
Such an important milestone to hit.

Looks like it is predominantly Pfizer being rolled out by GP's to the over 70s. When they get to the 65-69 age bracket, does anyone know if that is likely to change?

The reason I ask is my mother and father in law have been really stressed and anxious about Covid from day 1. He is early 70s and got his first dose of Pfizer last week, with 2nd dose to follow in 4 weeks time. Massive weight off his shoulders but someone told him that his wife, late 60s, will get AZ and there'll be 12 weeks between both doses, and now he is stressed and anxious again!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 9:11pm

the austrians don't need the ema to approve it. they can grant authorisation themselves. in the short term it may impact on the so-called vaccine passport the eu are looking into but the ema will probably approve the vaccine in the coming month or so anyway making that issue redundant. the hungarians have been distributing it to every man and his dog since february and would you blame them given the turmoil that country has gone through. 

That's an assumption. I'm only going off an article or two I've read myself so my understanding is yes they can approve it themselves but they don't want to go over the heads of the EMA. The EU is meant to be a partnership so if every country decides to go off on solo runs it undermines the whole thing. 

Why are you using Hungary as an example? The country is run Orban a right wing semi dictator 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 634635636637638 839>
  Share Topic