You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 578579580581582 839>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 4:27pm
It's all to do with perception and fair enough it may look busier to John Swift but the actual data doesn't back up people's perceptions. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It's all to do with perception and fair enough it may look busier to John Swift but the actual data doesn't back up people's perceptions. 

I think it also drives people's opinions on the mandatory quarantine even the the numbers coming into the country are tiny. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 4:32pm
Ah ya and a bit of racism added in for good measure. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 4:43pm

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Reading Denmark aiming to have the majority of its population vaccinated by the end of June. How can they possibly achieve that ? And as has been reported that all eu countries are getting the same pro rata number of vaccines and we are vaccinating as soon as doses arrive, why is our target been set as September at the earliest ?
Denmarks efficient rollout is down to years of investment in health system was the first headline that came up when i searched the reasons behind it.
But really if its pro rata they shouldn’t be that much quicker than us.
And we are being told as soon as the vaccine comes to Ireland it’s used .

The only place where we will lose time is when the first and second doses are being done at the same time so maybe it will just come down to man power 

Article in one of the papers about it, they've been buying up spare vaccines that other country's aren't using. 

Its speedy start was helped by using special needles to get bonus doses from vaccine vials, and choosing to administer all available doses instead of holding back supply for second shots.

It was also key that the country prepared early, buying freezers on the assumption that it would be administering the pricier Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, which require such storage. Other EU countries made preparations for a vaccine rollout anchored on the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is easier to store and cheaper. They were harder hit when AstraZeneca announced its vaccine deliveries to the EU would fall far short of initial targets.

For the same reasons, some EU countries chose not to buy all the Pfizer and Moderna doses they were offered under the EU vaccine purchase scheme. Other member states stepped in to buy up their unwanted vaccines.

The details are not public, but rough comparisons of announced orders with population size suggest that GreeceBelgiumPoland and Portugal did not take up all their Moderna vaccines, at least initially, while Germany and Denmark took up some unwanted doses. Denmark bought up as much as was possible, including extra doses, under the EU system, according to an official.

A highly organised and digitised healthcare system in Denmark is key. Aarhus University professor and virologist Soren Riis Paludan points out that on a typical day, Denmark tests 150,000 people for Covid-19. (For comparison, with a similar population size the Republic tested 105,400 people in the past week.)

A digital ID database that public authorities use to communicate with citizens about everything from pensions to daycare places will help the vaccination plan. It means authorities can sort citizens by age, and send out vaccination invitations directly to their mandatory digital inbox.

“In terms of infrastructure we are well prepared,” Prof Riis Paludan said. “The limiting factor is the availability of vaccines.”

In short the Danes are cute hoors.

according to our world I data the Danes are @ 8.57 (21/2) v our 6.9 (19/2) jabs per 100 people. It’s a good metric to check against to monitor our progress.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I think it also drives people's opinions on the mandatory quarantine even the the numbers coming into the country are tiny. 
Yep, and how do the same people expect the guest meat factory workers on low wages to pay for 14 nights quarantine in a hotel ? I'd imagine the only reason they come here is to work as many hours as they can, keep overheads low given rise to overcrowding and go home with money for their families. They are unlikely to come if they have to pay for quarantine. And if the meat factories have a shortage of workers, the farmers will suffer. Catch 22.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:08pm

Yep, and how do the same people expect the guest meat factory workers on low wages to pay for 14 nights quarantine in a hotel ? I'd imagine the only reason they come here is to work as many hours as they can, keep overheads low given rise to overcrowding and go home with money for their families. They are unlikely to come if they have to pay for quarantine. And if the meat factories have a shortage of workers, the farmers will suffer. Catch 22.

On the meat factory workers though, is it not the case that system here actually worked i.e. those who had it got tested and were already isolating so it hasn't spread (and hopefully doesn't) ??

That isn't to say there aren't a lot of things that have been done wrong. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:21pm

On the meat factory workers though, is it not the case that system here actually worked i.e. those who had it got tested and were already isolating so it hasn't spread (and hopefully doesn't) ??

The process with meat workers seems to have worked ok with to now, but this is before mandatory quarantine comes in. I suppose the solution would be for the meat industry to pick up the hotel tab.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 6:19pm
Nothing about take away pints from Mehall??
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Nothing about take away pints from Mehall??
What to ban them!?
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:00pm

It was mentioned in the Dail during the week that the meat workers isolation wasn't being enforced. The meat workers have awful conditions. They lived in share houses. The rent is docked from their wages meaning they would be lucky to make 250 a week.

Edited by Jackal - 23 Feb 2021 at 7:01pm
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

I don't give a fook what you work at - you are peddling disinformation and simplistic, easy answers which are WRONG

I asked you how MORE Covid would help cancer services - you have not answered that question

You deserve ridicule because your arguments are ridiculous 

You are essentially arguing that this pandemic can be wished away

I absolutely consider that trolling - and insulting

Wow. You're quite an unpleasant individual, or is it just someone who's reasonably placed daring to counter your obsessive view has got you so pissed?

Your point about Covid morbidity directly keeping people out hospital is WRONG (though I’m sure you're probably better placed than I am to know these things). It’s the fear of the hospital and the constraints of public health policy, that are keeping people out, not the reality of the situation. People were presenting less often and later, and way fewer services were operating normally, even when Covid inpatient numbers were way down.

For the last time – and I’m bowing out because of your inability to be civil, and the fact that I don’t have the time you have to sh ite on about this all day - I'll spell it out: My source is a systemic review by British Medical Journal (you say elsewhere you trust "British Science" yet somehow not the BMJ, which is the backbone of British medical academia). Your source is a twittter counter.

Read if you can take your head out of the cases/lockdown trough for a split second.

Although the evidence for social distancing for COVID-19 is limited, it is emerging, and the best available evidence appears to support social distancing measures to reduce the transmission and delay spread. The timing and duration of these measures appears to be critical.[392] [393] When comparing countries with more restrictive nonpharmaceutical interventions (e.g., mandatory stay-at home and business closure orders) to countries with less restrictive nonpharmaceutical interventions, implementing any nonpharmaceutical interventions was associated with a significant reduction in case growth. However, there was no clear, significant beneficial effect of more restrictive nonpharmaceutical interventions compared with less restrictive nonpharmaceutical interventions in any of the countries studied. It should be noted that the study has important limitations.

https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-gb/3000201

I.e. complete early lockdown probably works; different levels of lockdown reduce case growth but no definite hard endpoints seen. Again, if we’re accepting all the harms, surely, we need something more solid than this.

Edit - taking out the personal abuse, last warning 

Edited by nvidic - 24 Feb 2021 at 7:53am
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:22pm
@Beavis

You don't even understand my point and you didn't answer my question

I can indeed be quite unpleasant with people, especially trolling fools like you who are determined to reject reality

I asked you how more Covid would help cancer services - because you implied that missed cancers were happening because of lockdown and not Covid

This is WRONG

It's as if Covid doesn't exist to you and you believe that people can pretend Covid doesn't exist

To call this a misunderstanding and misreading of the situation and of basic human psychology is an understatement

Your complaint about unpleasantness while simultaneously calling me a **** is noted

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:37pm
Taoiseach Micheál Martin said this means:

by the end of April, up to 47% of people over 18 will have had their first dose
by the end of May, up to 64% of adults will have had their first dose
by the end of June, up to 82% of adults who can be vaccinated will have received at least one dose and 55% - 60% will be fully vaccinated

That's a fair acceleration. Hopefully comes to fruition 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Taoiseach Micheál Martin said this means:

by the end of April, up to 47% of people over 18 will have had their first dose
by the end of May, up to 64% of adults will have had their first dose
by the end of June, up to 82% of adults who can be vaccinated will have received at least one dose and 55% - 60% will be fully vaccinated

That's a fair acceleration. Hopefully comes to fruition 

Anybody see a breakdown by age category for these percentages? 64% of adults must be everyone over the age of 40, I would have thought.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:54pm
Everybody over 25 at least I'd say

19% of the population are 60 or over
TRV View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 1:15am
Most posters in here probably practicing bending over to get their vaccine , queuing up for big pharma
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 6:12am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Everybody over 25 at least I'd say

19% of the population are 60 or over

There is no way that 36% of the adult population are between 18 and 25.  40 seeks more plausible.  
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:10am
Originally posted by TRV TRV wrote:

Most posters in here probably practicing bending over to get their vaccine , queuing up for big pharma

Confused
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 578579580581582 839>
  Share Topic