You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 576577578579580 839>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think it’s far too early to be saying anyone is doing a great job on this.  This is like reporting on a match and there is only 30 minutes gone.  They may lead 2-0 but they have switched to 2 at the back and a fly keeper.
No it’s like downing half a pint, or something. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:56am

I think it’s far too early to be saying anyone is doing a great job on this.  This is like reporting on a match and there is only 30 minutes gone.  They may lead 2-0 but they have switched to 2 at the back and a fly keeper.
As teams who lead 2-0 after half an hour very often do
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by EdisonCavani<b> EdisonCavani wrote:

The UK is going for a one dose strategy.
One dose is thought to maybe provide protection for six months and possibly as little as four months. Aiming to open everything by mid June sounds like a gamble. 
It's not a one dose strategy though is it

It's a delayed second dose strategy to get a first dose into more people, more quickly

They'll still all have to get second doses

The question is, will they

Will there be loads of people walking around with one dose and protection declining by the day

Ffs - some of the nonsense posted on here.
I only know about the NHS, but they all have their first dose and have dates agreed for their second dose in March.
I suspect all the care homes will have dates agreed for the 2nd dose and it will be within 8-12 weeks of the first dose.

I know people just want to bash the UK and you can for most of their sh1te Covid strategy but do get 17M vaccines out before Japan/Australia/ NZ administered a single injection should be given credit where credit is due. 

My point is the UK first dose administering strategy runs to 31st July. But at the same time everything is planned to reopen by 21st June. That’s a punt of a strategy. However I totally agree that the UK is doing a brilliant job on vaccinations so far. 
Like all brave British leaders, he is very comfortable being brave with the lives of others.

Good quote PM! 

But the first does strategy runs to July is not strictly true.

Anybody who got vaccinated in Jan/Feb/March will get the 2nd dose in March/April/May.  Everybody in the high risk category will have had two doses by end of April. 

The rest of the UK adult population will have at least one vaccine by July but I suspect the large majority will have had 2.

The main problem is the high % who will refuse it and the new variants that may reduce the effectiveness of the vaccines.
But the best you can do now is get everybody who wants one a dose as quickly as possible. 

In my area in London, some people under 65 with no underlying conditions have been offered it recently as they have extra doses available each day. It’s either use it or lose it. 

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:58am

As teams who lead 2-0 after half an hour very often do

LOLLOLLOL

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:00am
Feeling a lot more positive this week with the reports that healthcare cases down by 90% since vaccination, provides evidence that vaccination is our effective way of getting out of this pandemic phase (which we knew anyway but its good to see it in numbers). Also good to see that if the supply holds through we will have a good portion of the population and the most vulnerable vaccinated by summer. 
You would imagine/hope that deaths will come right down and we can be in a position to take more calculated risks in terms of opening up even if the number of cases is still in the hundreds (which I think will be hard to get down below that until everyone the vast majority is vaccinated).
If can meet up with people in the garden by May and go the gym again I'd be delighted with that outcome. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:03am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Are shandy's effective? Asking for a friend.  
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:10am

LOL
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:50am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Yes, as they look like a full pint. No one will know the difference certainly not covid
It would damage this forums' reputation
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Yes, as they look like a full pint. No one will know the difference certainly not covid

Good point. I presume it's the same principle for people who put a dash of blackcurrant in their vaccine, asking for BSM.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:55am
Moderna have announced a massive expansion of vaccine production

Production is to be increased to 200 doses per week and these doses will be placed in various mystery locations throughout the world

Moderna will be publishing clues as to the locations of these doses on their Facebook page

Good luck to all participants in this Treasure Hunt

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:02am

Added cases and deaths to the dashboard, and share links for facebook, twitter, and email:

e.g. rolling seven day average of daily deaths in January-February

https://tetsujin1979.github.io/covid19dashboard?dataSelection=dailyDeaths&dateSelection=twoMonthView&graphType=rollingSevenDayAverage&displayType=graph&trendLine=true

Weekly total swabs from the last two months, displayed as a table instead of a graph

https://tetsujin1979.github.io/covid19dashboard?dataSelection=dailySwabs&dateSelection=lastTwoMonths&graphType=weeklyTotal&displayType=table&trendLine=true

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:04am
If one dose gives you 70% efficacy and the 2nd dose brings you up to 95% efficacy, then surely, using basic maths, it makes more sense to stretch out the time, to approved limits, to get the 1st dose in to more people.

If 2 x people get one dose each, combined there is 70% efficacy.
If 1 person gets 2 x doses and the other gets none, combined there is 47.5% efficacy.

I assume this is the reason for the UK's approach, or am I missing something obvious?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:05am

Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Originally posted by EdisonCavani<b> EdisonCavani wrote:

The UK is going for a one dose strategy.
One dose is thought to maybe provide protection for six months and possibly as little as four months. Aiming to open everything by mid June sounds like a gamble. 
It's not a one dose strategy though is it

It's a delayed second dose strategy to get a first dose into more people, more quickly

They'll still all have to get second doses

The question is, will they

Will there be loads of people walking around with one dose and protection declining by the day

Ffs - some of the nonsense posted on here.
I only know about the NHS, but they all have their first dose and have dates agreed for their second dose in March.
I suspect all the care homes will have dates agreed for the 2nd dose and it will be within 8-12 weeks of the first dose.

I know people just want to bash the UK and you can for most of their sh1te Covid strategy but do get 17M vaccines out before Japan/Australia/ NZ administered a single injection should be given credit where credit is due. 

My point is the UK first dose administering strategy runs to 31st July. But at the same time everything is planned to reopen by 21st June. That’s a punt of a strategy. However I totally agree that the UK is doing a brilliant job on vaccinations so far. 
Like all brave British leaders, he is very comfortable being brave with the lives of others.

Good quote PM! 

But the first does strategy runs to July is not strictly true.

Anybody who got vaccinated in Jan/Feb/March will get the 2nd dose in March/April/May.  Everybody in the high risk category will have had two doses by end of April. 

The rest of the UK adult population will have at least one vaccine by July but I suspect the large majority will have had 2.

The main problem is the high % who will refuse it and the new variants that may reduce the effectiveness of the vaccines.
But the best you can do now is get everybody who wants one a dose as quickly as possible. 

In my area in London, some people under 65 with no underlying conditions have been offered it recently as they have extra doses available each day. It’s either use it or lose it. 

Will they? I hope they will, but it feels very optimistic and to go on dates, based on this hope and will anyway. It might work out, like the gamble with the vaccine, but I certainly wouldn't be optimistic.
It is very hard to shake the feeling that they want the NHS fail, while at the same time, with the help of compliant media propaganda, making themselves appear to have done everything they can.
I really hope this isn't going to be the case.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

If one dose gives you 70% efficacy and the 2nd dose brings you up to 95% efficacy, then surely, using basic maths, it makes more sense to stretch out the time, to approved limits, to get the 1st dose in to more people.

If 2 x people get one dose each, combined there is 70% efficacy.
If 1 person gets 2 x doses and the other gets none, combined there is 47.5% efficacy.

I assume this is the reason for the UK's approach, or am I missing something obvious?
No, this is indeed the reason

I've always felt it makes sense from this standpoint, but I am not an expert and am not qualified to judge if there is a risk of unintended consequences

British medical scientists are though and despite me finding the British government revolting, I do trust their scientific community as a broad institution

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:25am

Will they? I hope they will, but it feels very optimistic and to go on dates, based on this hope and will anyway. It might work out, like the gamble with the vaccine, but I certainly wouldn't be optimistic.
It is very hard to shake the feeling that they want the NHS fail, while at the same time, with the help of compliant media propaganda, making themselves appear to have done everything they can.
I really hope this isn't going to be the case.
Approving the vaccine and the delayed first dose technique for roll out was a decision that was guided by science though

The lifting of restrictions gamble - and it is a gamble - is a purely political decision
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Added cases and deaths to the dashboard, and share links for facebook, twitter, and email:

e.g. rolling seven day average of daily deaths in January-February

https://tetsujin1979.github.io/covid19dashboard?dataSelection=dailyDeaths&dateSelection=twoMonthView&graphType=rollingSevenDayAverage&displayType=graph&trendLine=true

Weekly total swabs from the last two months, displayed as a table instead of a graph

https://tetsujin1979.github.io/covid19dashboard?dataSelection=dailySwabs&dateSelection=lastTwoMonths&graphType=weeklyTotal&displayType=table&trendLine=true

That's good data and easily readable. Clap
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:16pm

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Good point. I presume it's the same principle for people who put a dash of blackcurrant in their vaccine, asking for BSM.

The NHS are saying it's fine but NPHET are advising under no circumstances let covid know you've a dash of purple in it. Just drink a full pint like any proper man would and there is nothing to worry about. With the L rate theory, we will be out of lockdown my Mid April. But snowflakes will ruin it for everyone. Is BSM a snowflake? 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

I’m in London this week and it’s noticeable how much busier Central London is. I was over in mid-January when it felt very quiet. The numbers on the trains and tubes have increased in the past month and more people seem to be going to their offices.

I’m impressed with what I’ve watched of the press briefing by Boris and Co this evening. It confirms that they consider the virus to be endemic - its here to stay and is another dose that needs to be managed. Also, the loosening of their restrictions isn’t tied to the R number, which becomes less important as the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated. This approach effectively rules out the idea of Zero Covid on these islands.

In some respects, the UK approach and the rapid rollout of their vaccine puts the pressure on the Irish Government to take a more considered approach and adopt less draconian restrictions. We live in hope!

londons transport system is dead. people who are going to work are not doing so in central london unless they are in non-office related workplace e.g. construction. virtually all office staff are still wfh.

this was oxford circus last night at 9pm. in normal times the 3rd busiest tube station in london and one of the busiest in the world.

Edited by colemanY2K - 23 Feb 2021 at 1:27pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 576577578579580 839>
  Share Topic