You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 418419420421422 839>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

We're not talking about "not having socks" Sid, we're talking about "not being able to buy new socks". People can do without new socks for 6 weeks. 

Otherwise you'd have to open all sock shops, which would be pretty much all of the shopping centres, Grafton Street etc. We're on lockdown, new socks is something we can do without.

Dunno about that. I go through 3 pairs of socks every month, I'd hate to be a hobbit just because I'm not allowed to buy socks !

To be fair you do like a long walk so that must take its toll on your socks 

Exactly ! LOL
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:07am
LOL
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:18am

We're not talking about "not having socks" Sid, we're talking about "not being able to buy new socks". People can do without new socks for 6 weeks. 

Otherwise you'd have to open all sock shops, which would be pretty much all of the shopping centres, Grafton Street etc. We're on lockdown, new socks is something we can do without.
Perhaps you might be able to (I'll probably be able to as well, for full disclosure), but it seems like a very "I'm alright, Jack" attitude to assume that everybody will be able to

Like, say a single parent with two boys of 7 and 5

Growing children go through clothes pretty quickly, you know

And as far as I know sections of shops are not being closed off due to health regulations but due to business lobbying

It's little things like this that make people resentful of restrictions

I don't think that's a good thing at a time when the focus of public policy has to be more on persuading people and less on lecturing people
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:34am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

If clothes aren't essential then how can you justify allowing shops to continue to sell booze? I don't want a ban on drink being sold but I'm at a loss as to how it can be considered essential. 

Alcohol is essential for those that depend on it. An alcoholic could have a seizure and die is they suddenly stop drinking
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:50am

Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

If clothes aren't essential then how can you justify allowing shops to continue to sell booze? I don't want a ban on drink being sold but I'm at a loss as to how it can be considered essential. 
People can just stock up on Alcohol anyway if a ban is coming in so i would say banning alcohol would be pointless.

Think you are missing the point.  Who cares if they stock up on alcohol as that would stop them going to
The shop which the name of the game.   

The issue is that typically the person who is addicted to drink won’t have money or maybe even a place to stock up on drink and if they go cold Turkey it will have serious impacts and knock on impacts on the health service.  

They should ban cigarettes. Smokers are higher risk anyway, so in the interests of public health and all that. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:08am
Ever see the Simpsons Shining episode? That is what would happen if drink was banned in Ireland. People would see it as a step too far anyway.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

People can just stock up on Alcohol anyway if a ban is coming in so i would say banning alcohol would be pointless.

Think you are missing the point.  Who cares if they stock up on alcohol as that would stop them going to

The issue is that typically the person who is addicted to drink won’t have money or maybe even a place to stock up on drink and if they go cold Turkey it will have serious impacts and knock on impacts on the health service.  

They should ban cigarettes. Smokers are higher risk anyway, so in the interests of public health and all that. 

I think as nicotine is an addictive product this would have a disastrous impact.  Tobacco sales would just end up on the street and black market etc.  Not a major policy thing you should do in the middle of a pandemic.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Obesity has become a bigger problem in Ireland than tobacco related illness and you are more likely to have complications with covid if you are obese than smoking (that's a fact look at the fatalities) 
Should we close McDonald's, burger King, Chinese takeaways ect. Ban the sale of sugary drinks and sweets? The point I'm making is that no matter what you close or restrict the sale of has a knock on effect on people's life's be it work related or mental health. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Dunno about that. I go through 3 pairs of socks every month, I'd hate to be a hobbit just because I'm not allowed to buy socks !
Just wash 'em and you can reuse them LOL
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Perhaps you might be able to (I'll probably be able to as well, for full disclosure), but it seems like a very "I'm alright, Jack" attitude to assume that everybody will be able to

And as far as I know sections of shops are not being closed off due to health regulations but due to business lobbying

I don't think that's a good thing at a time when the focus of public policy has to be more on persuading people and less on lecturing people
Sid, I've 4 year old twin boys, there's no amount of growing in the next month that's gonna cause them to go sockless
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 1:50pm
Can people just not buy clothes online?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 1:51pm

Sid, I've 4 year old twin boys, there's no amount of growing in the next month that's gonna cause them to go sockless
Well done mate but the plural of anecdote is not data

This is a very difficult time for a lot of people and stopping them from buying socks or other necessary clothing because of business lobbying is not going to help things in the country, it's only going to build resentment

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 3:32pm
So we are all in agreement, ban ciggies, booze, socks and Sid and this covid thing will be long forgotten Approve
It would damage this forums' reputation
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 4:00pm

This is a very difficult time for a lot of people and stopping them from buying socks or other necessary clothing because of business lobbying is not going to help things in the country, it's only going to build resentment
You literally had the same anecdote in your sentence LOL

Maybe my mistake was not coming back with your type of science "And as far as I know". If as far as Sid knows isn't data I don't know what is
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 4:03pm

You literally had the same anecdote in your sentence LOL

Maybe my mistake was not coming back with your type of science "And as far as I know". If as far as Sid knows isn't data I don't know what is
Can you point me to the science that says nobody will need to buy socks in the next five weeks, please

Then apply it to underwear, pyjamas, and any amount of other items of clothing

Edited by sid waddell - 30 Oct 2020 at 4:03pm
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 6:41pm
So now people wanting us to move to a level 5 lockdown want us to open retail up now?Ermm

Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 7:14pm
Town is fairly busy, a load of people getting take away pints and drinking them with their friends. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:44pm
English papers running stories of a full lockdown until Dec 1st from Wednesday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 418419420421422 839>
  Share Topic