You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 356357358359360 839>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

The main question is, how long is too long? People need enjoyment in their life’s. Football, concerts, pubs, restaurants etc
I agree that people need enjoyment in their lives, but at what cost? That's what needs to be constantly assessed and reassessed. Those governments who handled it better and gave clear guidance, as well as quicker and sharper lockdowns are further along regarding entertainment. Ireland and Britain are not. The natural response would be to irate at those governments for mishandling the situation,  but instead people want to pretend that the virus has gone away because it suits those people.

I think this is an incredibly selfish attitude, one of putting one's own individual wants ahead of societal needs. It is a fairly depressing indictment of modern society.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:37pm
I like reading differing opinions on here, even Planning's (who I'm not sure if he's a troll or not). It can be very annoying when the responses turn into personal attacks or Sid's posts constantly straying off into alt right circles. 

This is one of the better threads to read, please try and keep it that way
It would damage this forums' reputation
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:38pm

The Fat Emporer seems to be advocating a ketogenic diet to treat cancer.

Is that what yer man Steve Jobs did? Went on some crackpot diet.  He killed himself.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Is that what yer man Steve Jobs did? Went on some crackpot diet.  He killed himself.

Trap he didn’t kill himself as he had pancreatic cancer and his prognosis was not good anyway.  But the diet as you say is rubbish and it certainly did not save or cure him and he possibly died earlier than he may have.  But I do not think it’s true to say he killed himself 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Trap he didn’t kill himself as he had pancreatic cancer and his prognosis was not good anyway.  But the diet as you say is rubbish and it certainly did not save or cure him and he possibly died earlier than he may have.  But I do not think it’s true to say he killed himself 

Yes I know. He tried to cure himself with a crackpot diet.  Apparently the cancer was caught relatively early and surgery was recommended immediately but Jobs declined and went on a mad diet that promised a cure and eventually acknowledged it wasn't working so had the surgery but it was too late by then.  Pancreatic cancer is not good but he probably would have had a few years extra.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 3:07pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Yes I know. He tried to cure himself with a crackpot diet.  Apparently the cancer was caught relatively early and surgery was recommended immediately but Jobs declined and went on a mad diet that promised a cure and eventually acknowledged it wasn't working so had the surgery but it was too late by then.  Pancreatic cancer is not good but he probably would have had a few years extra.
That's what happened in the Jobs biopic anyway
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 3:37pm

Edited by RKeane - 22 Sep 2020 at 6:03pm
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 3:48pm
They are all wants, not needs. They are very important to people's lives, but not vital. We all have to make sacrifices for the greater good. 
I want to be able to go to gigs and the football again, apart from my partner, it's what I go to work for, but there's no satisfaction in going to them right now.
It is selfishness to be putting these things ahead of people dying.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They are all wants, not needs. They are very important to people's lives, but not vital. We all have to make sacrifices for the greater good. 
I want to be able to go to gigs and the football again, apart from my partner, it's what I go to work for, but there's no satisfaction in going to them right now.

The vast majority of people I know work to live and not the other way around. I'm lucky in that I've been back in the office since April but loads of people are working from home and then have no social release. IMO the restrictions themselves aren't the problem, it's the not knowing how long they will go on is the issue. No pubs, no holidays, nothing to look forward too is what is getting to people. Selfish yes as people have died but people need something to look forward to. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 4:52pm

Well said.  
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

The vast majority of people I know work to live and not the other way around. I'm lucky in that I've been back in the office since April but loads of people are working from home and then have no social release. IMO the restrictions themselves aren't the problem, it's the not knowing how long they will go on is the issue. No pubs, no holidays, nothing to look forward too is what is getting to people. Selfish yes as people have died but people need something to look forward to. 
This. Ngl, but it is getting to me now at this stage. I'm also WFH since mid-May and miss the craic in the office. Its got to the stage where I have basically written off the rest of the year and just wishing it away with nothing to look forward to and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Cry

I would hate if this was to drag on well into next year. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

This. Ngl, but it is getting to me now at this stage. I'm also WFH since mid-May and miss the craic in the office. Its got to the stage where I have basically written off the rest of the year and just wishing it away with nothing to look forward to and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Cry

I would hate if this was to drag on well into next year. 

I fear it will. No on/off, pause button for this shoite. I think a vaccine for 2021 is a pipedream and with that you have the roll out, the anti vaxers, fear of side effects etc.

Masks to some degree will be around in Ireland forever now too. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:29pm

And if you don't work to live you are either doing it wrong or making a massive sacrifice for the progress of humanity!
I'm not saying that this ideal, but it's the definition of First World problems. I'm not going to pretend I don't miss gigs or live football and I'm not going to pretend I am not comparatively lucky in that I am working less hours for roughly the same money and it hasn't impacted my basic needs and requirements. 
However,  it feels like those with least to complain about are complaining most. Not being able to go abroad or go to the football is frustrating, not life threatening!
I get the frustration,  but people aren't half playing it up! The same ****s here who bang on about the Blitz and Dunkirk are the same ones who can't survive a year without a trip to Benidorm. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:40pm
People think its bad now when in reality in December we will look back on this time thinking things were good. What exactly is the big moan about?  The foreign holidays? The pub? The matches?

There's actually very little things we can't do now compared to normality.  We can go to the pub or restaurant. We can go to the shops, we can go on domestic holidays. We can watch live sport on tv.  It's hardly hell on Earth.

Imagine the blitz happened today. The moaning gits.  ''I'm not turning my lights off for anyone!''  ''I'm not going down to the sleep in the underground!''
''Nobody's going to stop me going to Germany on me holliers''
I have my civil rights. I'm not wearing a gas mask!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:50pm
With nothing to moan about you seem to moan a lot. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

With nothing to moan about you seem to moan a lot. 

What do I moan about so? 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:54pm
Nothing specifically. Just angry, moany ramblings about nothing in every post you make in this thread, as if it’s your own. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Nothing specifically. Just angry, moany ramblings about nothing in every post you make in this thread, as if it’s your own. 

It is my own.  I started it.

Secondly I can't stand moaners like you whinging about how life now is sh*te and how they can't do xyz and how they want to open up the country.  Its not that bad. Deal with it.  I am not a moaner about missing normality or having my civil liberties abused.

BTW where are those suicide rates you were peddling?  What was it 700 in August int he west of Ireland?

Edited by Trap junior - 22 Sep 2020 at 6:00pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 356357358359360 839>
  Share Topic