You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biggest kip of a city we have played in .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Poll Question: Biggest Kip?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [33.33%]
14 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Was anybody here in Tirana in 1993? I remember reading a lot of books published by various Irish players at the time and they never seemed too fond of their time there.

Yes.  Very poor country at the time but not as bad as described by the travel agents.  Tony Cascarino's late winner helped make it a great trip.    

Thanks!

I remember being fascinated by the trips to places like Latvia and Lithuania at the time.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 11:52pm

Was anybody here in Tirana in 1993? I remember reading a lot of books published by various Irish players at the time and they never seemed too fond of their time there.

Yes.  Very poor country at the time but not as bad as described by the travel agents.  Tony Cascarino's late winner helped make it a great trip.    

Thanks!

I remember being fascinated by the trips to places like Latvia and Lithuania at the time.
This one seemed especially fascinating due to the lack of television coverage. It really added to the intrigue as I remember it being the only big game I my formative years that couldn’t be seen. I still remember the crackling radio coverage and the late winner.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 12:33am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Thanks!

This one seemed especially fascinating due to the lack of television coverage. It really added to the intrigue as I remember it being the only big game I my formative years that couldn’t be seen. I still remember the crackling radio coverage and the late winner.

I vaguely remember watching it live in a cinema or some special screening somewhere? It's all a bit foggy.. the lads who ran the Albania FA at that time had some notions.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 4:51am
Dublin 
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:21am
Bratislava for me too. The train station had p*ss running out of the mens jax onto the platform and onto the tracks ffs. Best hotel I've ever stayed in on the Danube was the only saving grace. The Danube was flooding lots of countries during that visit, and a large tree flowed by the hotel.  The Dubliner Bar was a kip. 
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Lille was a bit of a dump now to think of it. Ruined a great night.  Couldn't find any bars in town open so got a taxi back to the accommo.

I know now there were some places open.

you didn't look hard enough, we had a brilliant night there. Before the game in the square with the sun beaming down was great too. Actually had a another good day after sitting outside a couple of pubs for the day before moving on to Lyon the next morning.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 7:42am
The music festival in lille was class.  
AKA pedantic kunt
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:43am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I’m not angry at all! 

Every f**ker there was actually a dealer to the point the very first bar I went in I asked for a Vodka and Coke (not cola as I was apparently meant to) and I was served with a straight Vodka and a gram of coke LOL

This is when I knew the place was a kip LOL

LOL

Get the f**k out of here, I'm calling bullsh*t on that.

Been quite a few times and I very much doubt the bar staff were dealing coke, like any holiday destination though if you are looking drugs you will find it.

"nearly everyone there is a dealer" come on to f*ck man.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:04am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Thanks!

I vaguely remember watching it live in a cinema or some special screening somewhere? It's all a bit foggy.. the lads who ran the Albania FA at that time had some notions.

Could it have been the Point Depot? That's where I think I watched it anyway!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:08am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I’m not angry at all! 

Every f**ker there was actually a dealer to the point the very first bar I went in I asked for a Vodka and Coke (not cola as I was apparently meant to) and I was served with a straight Vodka and a gram of coke LOL

LOL

Been quite a few times and I very much doubt the bar staff were dealing coke, like any holiday destination though if you are looking drugs you will find it.

I’ll give him that the strip is a sh*thole but the rest is absolute nonsense LOL
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:08am

I’m not angry at all! 

What a weird lie to make up
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:10am

I’m not angry at all! 

LOL

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:18am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I’m not angry at all! 

LOL

I’ll give him that the strip is a sh*thole but the rest is absolute nonsense LOL

I was 30 mins in the new town in August and i saw 3 scuffles, a bouncer baitin the head of some Spanish lad and the cops rolling in heavy handed. 

Spent the next 5 nights down the old town. Some contrast LOL

Absolute dirty kip at night. A sense of claustrophobia walking down that narrow strip with disco bars either side of the small road. Wouldnt be heading back.

But Coyner LOLLOLLOLLOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:20am
LOL
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

I’m not angry at all! 

LOL

LOL
LOLLOL
Here we go again
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:25am
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

LOL
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

I’m not angry at all! 

LOL

LOL
LOLLOL
LOL
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:31am
Did Coyner sl*g somebody off before saying he was "finger banging" two young wans in Albafueria while they were at home watching TV or something. I've a vague memory of some mental post like that.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Lille was a bit of a dump now to think of it. Ruined a great night.  Couldn't find any bars in town open so got a taxi back to the accommo.

I know now there were some places open.

I was down on a big long strip near the main square after the game, which was very lively, but didn't seem to be much else going on.

Enjoyed lille a lot, very tough to get back in from the stadium though. Walked the motorway until a French lad decided to take about 6 of us in a Nissan Micra-sized car, while telling us wholly fictitious stories about how he was on the books at Metz
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Thanks!

I think Albanian officials and leaders had a long history of notions. If my recollection serves me well, it was the last country to emerge from communist control, and it could well have done with being the first. The first act in the fall was to topple a statue of Stalin.

Mick McCarthy’s book “Captain Fantastic” was pretty scathing of the way their players acted on the pitch in Dublin in 1992, while Big Jack gave a good account of the hospitality for the 1993 game in his 1994 Diary book
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic