You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 200>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 11:50pm
No nothing on ministries yet. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:09am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

MacSharry of FF doing his best last couple of weeks to canvas for Junior Ministry. Surely Greens will be eyeing that Ministry given the role transport will play in many of its key policies 
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

MacSharry of FF doing his best last couple of weeks to canvas for Junior Ministry. Surely Greens will be eyeing that Ministry given the role transport will play in many of its key policies 
Do ya think Varadkar will drop down to Tanaiste?
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 6:00am
Will it get through each parliamentary party yet? The Greens need 2/3 majority and a lot of FG not overly happy about it.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 15 Jun 2020 at 6:00am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:36pm
I think it will be dependant on how the leadership can sell it to the membership. What will be key is the influence of Green matters on the programme. They are in a significantly stronger position in terms of negotiating than they were in 2007, and it already looks like they will achieve a number of welcome objectives. At the outset, I would see the difficult issue to navigate is convincing the Green membership. However, there will also be a wing in both FF/FG who'll be talking about departed party luminaries. "spinning in their grave" over this cooperation. 
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:48pm
The right to a house sounds great but what happens if someone doesn't pay their rent? To they still keep that right or what?
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:22pm
So it looks like we have a government. I don't buy that it won't last. Unless the greens get shafted on one of their red lines, this one will go the distance. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:36pm
Surely this coalition leaves the path wide open for Sinn Fein to sail to power in the next election? Short term it may work out and keep FF and FG in power but longer term it will probably be disastrous for them no?
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:38pm
It’s such a strange way for Michael Martin to become Taoiseach it kind of feels like he’s a spoiled kid and everyone is just giving him what he wants! He kept saying during the Brexit talks which Ireland had no real say in really we were just bystanders but Martin kept saying we can’t have an election because of Brexit and we need stability but now it’s ok to change Taoisigh now in the middle of a Pandemic. Varadkar tonight is sitting at a poll rating of 75% yet he’s giving up power to put FF back in i’d say FG would love for the Greens to not get the 2/3 majority. These are very strange times.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 15 Jun 2020 at 10:39pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Surely this coalition leaves the path wide open for Sinn Fein to sail to power in the next election?

All depends. If harsh austerity yes, if there is heavy investment and spending then probably not.

Likelihood is it will be the latter. It will be interesting. 
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:14am
Green policies now in the formation of the Irish Government and all over Europe and with the automotive manufactures investing billions into lithium research etc. So forget about putting your few Euro away in the Post Office, Credit Union and Banks invest in Lithium mining or Lithium chemical companies. Every Government in developed nations will have a big green programme over the next 10 to 15 years. We will be no different even if the Provos come to power. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:36am

All depends. If harsh austerity yes, if there is heavy investment and spending then probably not.

Likelihood is it will be the latter. It will be interesting. 

Ironically, it will be the “austerity” of the last decade that will allow for the necessary investment and the ability to borrow to deal with this crisis. Given that the crisis is so focussed and occurred over the course of a relatively short period of time, and that business will need a “jump start”, it makes absolute sense. This of course doesn’t mean it would be the right approach in other times, especially in times like 2009-2010 when the financial contagion had hit every aspect of the economy, and originally went back to over-reliance on single sectors and massive borrowing at low rates. I don’t think too many countries will apply the austerity approach. It doesn’t make sense and it will allow for greater popularity.

The Greens, at PP level seem to be favourable, generally to the programme, which I suspect will make a major difference when proposing government membership.

Edited by Het-field - 16 Jun 2020 at 9:39am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Green policies now in the formation of the Irish Government and all over Europe and with the automotive manufactures investing billions into lithium research etc. So forget about putting your few Euro away in the Post Office, Credit Union and Banks invest in Lithium mining or Lithium chemical companies. Every Government in developed nations will have a big green programme over the next 10 to 15 years. We will be no different even if the Provos come to power. 

You can trade on revolut. So who are you recommending Mr. Expert?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 10:32am
Political commentators talking about how this will be such a big historical occasion and how this will be the end of civil war politics is a bit wide of the mark for me and it’s them just trying to make it a bigger story than it is. Civil war politics is over a long time i doubt there’s many people who are 100% FF blood or FG blood for some people in politics like Sean Kelly the Ex Gaa president and say Ex Mayo footballer Alan Dillon their only with a certain party as that party contacted them first they could just as easily be with FF.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 16 Jun 2020 at 10:33am
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:15am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

You can trade on revolut. So who are you recommending Mr. Expert?

I trade on the ASX200 (Australia) Have shares in Altura Mining bought at 0.04 and now trading at 0.057( they are physically mining), 
AVZ Minerals are exploration company currently in the Congo, bit of a punt with exploration companies but you might get lucky. 
Galaxy Resources are one of the big boys. have mines in Australia, Canada and Argentina. Argentina has huge potential but with Covid and political unrest it seen as quiet volatile. 
Lithium Power International are again like Galaxy. mines everywhere.
Pilbara Minerals Limited have a huge mine in its early stages in Western Australia and this week were dropped out of the top 200 of the ASX but have recovered in share value yesterday. 

To narrow it down i'd invest in all except AVZ but you might not see a decent return for about 5/7 years. Lithium markets to date peak and trough. they estimate there needs to be another 70 no. chemical lithium factories to be built within the next 10 years to keep up with world demand. currently only 17 i believe.

I have made a right few found over the last few weeks investing in BNPL (buy now pay later) companies. Companies in China and Australia. basically the equivalent of flexifi in Ireland. Online shopping and 0% interest seems to be all the rage. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Political commentators talking about how this will be such a big historical occasion and how this will be the end of civil war politics is a bit wide of the mark for me and it’s them just trying to make it a bigger story than it is. Civil war politics is over a long time i doubt there’s many people who are 100% FF blood or FG blood for some people in politics like Sean Kelly the Ex Gaa president and say Ex Mayo footballer Alan Dillon their only with a certain party as that party contacted them first they could just as easily be with FF.

It's the first time FF and FG have formed a coalition together. In terms of Irish party politics, yes it is historic, because it signals the end of the cartel between them.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:25am
Sorry, replied before saw other replies

Edited by Shedite - 16 Jun 2020 at 11:25am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:28am
How would one differentiate between FF and FG these days? Seems to be getting harder and harder. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 200>
  Share Topic