You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 193>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 2:56pm
Well, cringe is subjective. I just saw it as bog standard. and even at that, cringe is not really something to get worked up over.

Edited by Het-field - 07 Jun 2020 at 2:58pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm
Varadkar puts these popular culture references into his speeches because he knows young people will pick up on it and it'll go viral. 

Like, duh. It's basic social media strategy.

There's loads to criticise him for but his critics - even people you'd think have a bit of a brain on them like Oliver Callan - all tend to go in for the stupid stuff, like targetting his manner of speaking. It doesn't do their case any good at all.

And I don't have to be a Fine Gael supporter, and by christ I'm not, to see the racist and homophobic dog whistle nature of the #notmytaoiseach hashtag.

Edited by sid waddell - 07 Jun 2020 at 3:12pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:44pm
Sure he quoted terminator a few weeks ago too.

Tbh I doubt he writes the speeches himself but even if he does for people to give out about it is a bit stupid imo. 

I'll also say I think that he's done a decent job in the last few months in difficult times. 

I'd also say that if and when we have another election which will happen that people will remember how good a job he's done. (I voted for SF BTW) 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Did Artie post under a different profile previously? Reminds me of someone who hasn’t posted in a while.

who does he remind you of LOL
Hoskins

Shocked
It would damage this forums' reputation
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 12:43pm
Now, here's something to legitimately eviscerate Leo Varadkar over. 

"The far-right and the far-left aren't very different to me." — Leo Varadkar, 4th June, 2020.

Let's be clear who Varadkar is referring to here - using the long established Irish establishment political lexicon. 

The "far left" refers to Richrd Boyd Barrett, Ruth Coppinger, Paul Murphy etc.

You don't have to agree with Boyd Barrett, Coppinger or Murphy (I agree with them on many if not most things) to see that a comparison between them and the far right. ie, knuckle dragging racists and Holocaust deniers (because what else is the far right?) is both utterly ludicrous and libellous - of course Varadkar used Dail privilege for his smear job.

It is in fact the exact language of insane Trump-like demonisation that any Irish politician should run a hundred miles from. 

Disgraceful indeed and Varadkar should publicly apologise.

Though at this stage it would be remiss of me not to bring up the fact that Fine Gael was founded as a fascist party whose first leader was Eoin O'Duffy.

Edited by sid waddell - 09 Jun 2020 at 12:45pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:07pm
That racism will always be at their core and they know it speaks to a lot of their core vote. The acceptable face of racist middle Ireland, nimbyism and a that. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:11pm
I hold no brief for Varadkar or Fine Gael but I have some sympathy for anyone who has to deal with either far right or far left elements in the course of their work. The former like the latter is not exclusively populated by morons; both have their quasi-intellectual wings ( Searchlight magazine is a good source for the far right versions , which have as many micro groups as the far left ) as well as the thicker puppet members whose role is to parrot the dogma and do the donkey work. The far right is more dangerous not least because of its propensity for violence. The far left sect members for the most part wouldn't know an ice pick from a shovel and whilst universally given to droning on endlessly about revolutionary violence and suchlike are unlikely to say the least to ever actually do anything, unless you count boring you half to death if you have the misfortune to have to listen to their pompous self-righteous bullsh*t for any length of tone.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:21pm
That's almost word for word something I posted elsewhere about centrists. LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:49pm
Varadkar is wrong on this one. Its a deeply inappropriate comparison particularly in these times.

A simple comparison to a clown car, or circus would have been sufficient for the Irish far-left.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Varadkar is wrong on this one. Its a deeply inappropriate comparison particularly in these times.

A simple comparison to a clown car, or circus would have been sufficient for the Irish far-left.
I feel mentioning clowns would be far too close to home for him!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Comedy club!?!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:05pm

Comedy club!?!
I wouldn't say he is that. I think clown is appropriate. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:13pm
In that case, I suppose I could have left it at circus! 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:15pm
That would imply juggling, tightrope walking and being ringmaster.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:18pm

Along with being entertaining, amusing, unbelievable, and generally inconsequential.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:26pm

Along with being entertaining, amusing, unbelievable, and generally inconsequential.
The last one is a bit harsh, but fair!
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:29pm
The Taoiseach seems to be referring to a thing called the Horseshoe effect.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

The Taoiseach seems to be referring to a thing called the Horseshoe effect.
Also known as: talking out your ring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 193>
  Share Topic