You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 193>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:30am
LOL
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Isn't it down to local by-laws? You could down where I am from, but if the cops asked you to stop you had to. You also couldn't loiter near where you bought it. In Cork and Limerick(I think) it wasn't allowed, but I don't think you could be arrested for it in itself; open to correction on that.
I used to do it a lot when visiting Galway and don't think there was an issue.

On a belting hot Summer Sunday afternoon a few years ago, a mate of mine was walking up O'Connell St on the way to Croker whilst sipping a can. He had a bag of them in tow. He saw a Garda on the path ahead of him and just to be on the safe side, he dropped his hand beside his hip to try and shield the tin from view. 
The Garda shouted at him "OI YOU!"
My mate stopped and looked over at him sheepishly "Yeah?"
"Is that can cold?"
"Eh yeah it is"
"Bastard" said the Garda and walked off. 

I still don't really understand the public drinking laws here. I live near the Grand canal and when the weather is decent, its banks are full of people gargling. Occasionally I see Gardai making them empty their open cans and move on but sometimes they aren't bothered. 

Think they have the power to pour your drink out and move you on and take your drink if you are underage. That is my general experience with them through the years anyway.
Often walk up from O'Connell street with a can to croker and never once asked to empty the can.

Even as a drinker 14-17 year old drinking in the field and the odd time the garda pulled up onto the field, I think only one time the guards took our drink off us. Majority left you to it once we were able to display it was just having a few beers and could show we were keeping the place clean and packing the empty cans into bags to be dumped in a bin later. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 27 May 2020 at 12:17pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:13pm
I was caught drinking a can by a Gardaí in Mountjoy Square park in about 2004 before a Dublin match. She made me pour out my can but she couldn’t confiscate the rest of them but she warned me that if I was caught again I’d be arrested. My friend and I just walked to the nearby Dublin bus depot and finished off our cans outside there.

The worst part was receiving a fine in the post for drinking in public. The fine itself wasn’t the issue it was that I was still living in my parents house at the time and my Dad has the same name as me.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I was caught drinking a can by a Gardaí in Mountjoy Square park in about 2004 before a Dublin match. She made me pour out my can but she couldn’t confiscate the rest of them but she warned me that if I was caught again I’d be arrested. My friend and I just walked to the nearby Dublin bus depot and finished off our cans outside there.

The worst part was receiving a fine in the post for drinking in public. The fine itself wasn’t the issue it was that I was still living in my parents house at the time and my Dad has the same name as me.
Did you pin it on him?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Isn't it down to local by-laws? You could down where I am from, but if the cops asked you to stop you had to. You also couldn't loiter near where you bought it. In Cork and Limerick(I think) it wasn't allowed, but I don't think you could be arrested for it in itself; open to correction on that.
I used to do it a lot when visiting Galway and don't think there was an issue.

On a belting hot Summer Sunday afternoon a few years ago, a mate of mine was walking up O'Connell St on the way to Croker whilst sipping a can. He had a bag of them in tow. He saw a Garda on the path ahead of him and just to be on the safe side, he dropped his hand beside his hip to try and shield the tin from view. 
The Garda shouted at him "OI YOU!"
My mate stopped and looked over at him sheepishly "Yeah?"
"Is that can cold?"
"Eh yeah it is"
"Bastard" said the Garda and walked off. 

I still don't really understand the public drinking laws here. I live near the Grand canal and when the weather is decent, its banks are full of people gargling. Occasionally I see Gardai making them empty their open cans and move on but sometimes they aren't bothered. 

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-said-two-weeks-ago-that-state-lodge-only-for-work-39237084.html

Or is it a non story?
Like the yankee Dundalk dandys whinging  non story ?
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 10:35am
Sinn Fein can f**k right off. 

Sinn Féin has come out against legalising abortion in cases of non-fatal foetal abnormalities in Northern Ireland.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sf-moves-to-limit-abortion-for-non-fatal-abnormalities-in-the-north-39252652.html

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 10:40am
A disgrace. Not only is supporting two different laws on the island completely contradictory with their republican values, it also shows that the still pander to the church on one hand and claiming to be progressive on the other.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 10:54am
"The North Is Next". Google that phrase and then click Images. "I'll have what you're having" politics at its best.

Nasty party for so many reasons, and even while being as silent as they have been since the election, they have shown more than enough reasons why not having them lead Government is a very good thing.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 11:37am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Whats funny about this?

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 12:12pm
Very surprising tweet from Varadkar last night in which he appeared to essentially condone the mass gathering of people in the city centre yesterday. Whilst I accept it is clearly a sensitive issue, would it have been so hard to condemn both systemic racism and the reckless endangerment of public health?

Very hard to see how any guard today could hope to enforce the restrictions considering the Taoiseach has all but given the green light to what occurred yesterday.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 1:09pm
Was social distancing kept at the protest? I think it is possible, if difficult, to protest and maintain in it. I haven't seen the Tweet either, so not sure what exactly was said.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 1:50pm

Was social distancing kept at the protest?

Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 1:52pm
looking like another General Election in August 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 1:53pm
Nearly impossible to tell from that angle, although I would be leaning towards yes, assuming the people very close by are from the same household.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 3:46pm
"In a statement, Sinn Féin said it was in favour of legalising access to abortion in Northern Ireland, including free access up to 12 weeks

"However, Sinn Féin does not support CEDAW's recommendation to provide abortion in the case of severe foetal impairment," a spokesman said."

Maybe I'm missing something really obvious but in light of the above I'm not quite sure how they are arguing for two different positions in the two jurisdictions? Is it not the case that in the 26 the law is that you can have an abortion on demand within 12 weeks but after that you can only have one if your life is at risk or you are at serious risk of harm or there is a fatal foetal abnormality? My reading of the article is that they are advocating for the same legal structure in the north. 

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 4:06pm

Nearly impossible to tell from that angle, although I would be leaning towards yes, assuming the people very close by are from the same household.

I have seen large groups around Sandymount and Phoenix Park, but as you get closer they aren't as close as you think. That photo might be the same. When the protest is walking it would be safe to keep a distance form each other, it's when it stops you wouldn't be able to stop people been on top of each other. And when people are chanting and shouting to each other over the noise that's another factor to consider. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 193>
  Share Topic