You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 200>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It seems the first round of negotiations will be held between SF, and the smaller parties. Ultimately, the numbers amongst the established parties aren’t there, so it will need independents. A remarkable, yet generally unremarked upon is the change in the nature of the political independents.

The departures, retirements and losses make it very unlikely that a coalition with independents, or even a confidence and supply could happen. If the numbers were the same, and the likes of Healy, Broughan, McGrath, Ming, Daly, Wallace, Zappone, Halligan were still there, coupled with Collins and Pringle, the numbers would be up to 75. At which point, if people were willing to work with Aontú (given their Shinner roots) you’d have been very close to the magic number.

The change in the meanings of independents had majorly influenced how government negotiations can go.

Zappone is a right wing politician she dumped I4Change group to cosy up with Leo. If she had of been elected, she would not have touched the left and definitely not the 'Shinners' or PBP.                                               

There is the possibility of a Independent rural group coming together Fitzmaurice, Harkin, Naughten and Peader Toibín has mentioned he is in talks with some Independents to form a speakers group in the Dail; while the Healy Rae's have worked with Martin Ferris ex SF before.
Mick Lowry and Mattie McGrath and the Healy Rae's have their own grouping from the last Dail which may grow.
Although a cabinet of Paul Murphy, Alan Kelly(Lab), Michael Lowry and the Healy Rae's with the Shinners would be something to behold.                                                           

Varadker has announced he is headed for opposition, but probably only shadow boxing at this stage.

In the words of John Lennon 'Strange days indeed...'

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:14pm
Varadkar does seem resigned to opposition, however,I feel another election would worry FF & FG to the extent that they would work on either a straight coalition arrangement or a confidence and supply, and hope the lifetime of the next government is fruitful. 

Howlin has also announced he is stepping down as Labour leader. This presents a great chance for a new and young leader.

Edited by Het-field - 12 Feb 2020 at 4:16pm
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:26pm

Varadkar does seem resigned to opposition, however,I feel another election would worry FF & FG to the extent that they would work on either a straight coalition arrangement or a confidence and supply, and hope the lifetime of the next government is fruitful. 

Howlin has also announced he is stepping down as Labour leader. This presents a great chance for a new and young leader.

I can't see FF and FG going for confidence and supply or coalition. That would be the end of them and probably longer term lead to a merger which I don't think either really wants. The key question now is whether FF are prepared to go in with SF and one or two others. If not then its another election and a real possibility of a SF led administration. If SF had even close to the same result with more candidates then 50 is a realistic target. From there its Mary Lou as Taoiseach. It could be a SF/Greens/PBP/SD/Labour rainbow coalition.

Edited by Stickittotheman - 12 Feb 2020 at 4:27pm
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:42pm
A FF/FG coalition Govt won't surprise me.They'll circle the wagons to stop the threat of a left leaning coalition.                   The SF vote has been a long time coming in Ireland.The duoply were as oppressive, if not more so, to a large section of their citizenship as the Unionists were to Catholics in the 6 counties.If SF get a chance in Govt, they have step up to the mark and deliver, and forget all about the RA
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:47pm

Get a sense that Leo is a tad bored with domestic issues and would like a high profile gig at the EU or UN.
Being shoe horned as a lesser partner in a FF/FG/+ govt may not suit his personal ambition.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I can't see FF and FG going for confidence and supply or coalition. That would be the end of them and probably longer term lead to a merger which I don't think either really wants. The key question now is whether FF are prepared to go in with SF and one or two others. If not then its another election and a real possibility of a SF led administration. If SF had even close to the same result with more candidates then 50 is a realistic target. From there its Mary Lou as Taoiseach. It could be a SF/Greens/PBP/SD/Labour rainbow coalition.

The difficulty for Sinn Fein is that those seats could come at the expense of the other parties they want to coalesce with. It will require picking off FG/FF seats to actually do that, and in a number of cases last weekend it was other left wing parties that benefited from Shinner transfers. Simply taking the precarious seats of PBP or Labour won’t actually help the numbers, and it would be more or less static.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:51pm

The difficulty for Sinn Fein is that those seats could come at the expense of the other parties they want to coalesce with. It will require picking off FG/FF seats to actually do that, and in a number of cases last weekend it was other left wing parties that benefited from Shinner transfers. Simply taking the precarious seats of PBP or Labour won’t actually help the numbers, and it would be more or less static.

Yeah exactly. Even if all those smaller parties retained their seats such a coalition would only total 78 seats. And as pointed out it's extremely unlikely those left wing smaller parties wouldn't lose some seats to the extra SF ones - seeing as a lot of them got seats off the back of SF surpluses/transfers.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Yeah exactly. Even if all those smaller parties retained their seats such a coalition would only total 78 seats. And as pointed out it's extremely unlikely those left wing smaller parties wouldn't lose some seats to the extra SF ones - seeing as a lot of them got seats off the back of SF surpluses/transfers.

Also, to what extent is the FF/FG support immovable, or at very least only adjustable on a limited basis. Yes, there was a time FF would get more seats than those combined today, and they have dropped as low as 20, but that was in the extraordinary aftermath of the collapse. Within 5 years of 2011 FF returned to the top table and now are the largest party, seat wise, albeit it at an unusually low level. If those votes are relatively locked down, SF will only be able to strengthen their position at the expense of the Greens or Solidarity, at which point we’re probably just going towards three centrist parties

I was looking at the individual results earlier, and while some SF candidates did produce unprecedented surpluses, some candidates got it on respectable votes, but ones that wouldn’t produce significant surpluses, and some constituencies didn’t even return a SF TD. I think one constituency didn’t even have a SF candidate. This could be instructive for the purposes of potential growth and politics is too shifting just to the extent that they can just expect things to get better and better. Power will only be ensured by getting multiple TDs in numerous constituencies, at least a single TD in every constituency, and shifting FF/FG TDs.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:52pm

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Also, to what extent is the FF/FG support immovable, or at very least only adjustable on a limited basis. Yes, there was a time FF would get more seats than those combined today, and they have dropped as low as 20, but that was in the extraordinary aftermath of the collapse. Within 5 years of 2011 FF returned to the top table and now are the largest party, seat wise, albeit it at an unusually low level. If those votes are relatively locked down, SF will only be able to strengthen their position at the expense of the Greens or Solidarity, at which point we’re probably just going towards three centrist parties

I was looking at the individual results earlier, and while some SF candidates did produce unprecedented surpluses, some candidates got it on respectable votes, but ones that wouldn’t produce significant surpluses, and some constituencies didn’t even return a SF TD. I think one constituency didn’t even have a SF candidate. This could be instructive for the purposes of potential growth and politics is too shifting just to the extent that they can just expect things to get better and better. Power will only be ensured by getting multiple TDs in numerous constituencies, at least a single TD in every constituency, and shifting FF/FG TDs.

It is true that although significant surpluses were posted in some constituencies there were not huge surpluses everywhere. The soundings coming out of FF seem to be completely ruling out a coalition with SF. Now whether that is shadow boxing I am not sure. If SF as expected fail to form the left coalition then it is going to come down to FF and SF with others or another election. Then for FF the question must be- does Martin deserve a fourth shot and if not how quickly can a leadership contest be completed. FF are maybe biding their time. Then in the national interest compromises will be made. I don't know though- things are so fluid at the minute I wouldn't rule out another election

Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:13pm
I reckon a second election mightn't be the SF landslide some suggest. There'll be a lot who didn't vote FF/FG last time out who might now to avoid a SF government. And as Hetfield said, a lot more of those that voted PBP, Labour, Green etc might go SF, so not a huge advantage there in getting to 80
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:21pm

Aodhan O'Riordan would be a great choice, big Irish football fan, national and grassroots.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:08pm
Headline grabber in my opinion. I would have thought Alan Kelly would be chasing that. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:29pm
A motion has been put forward in Clare County Council to have Joe Brolly put back on RTE.

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Headline grabber in my opinion. I would have thought Alan Kelly would be chasing that. 

Was Delaney out canvassing for him this time? Surely he wasn’t dropped Shocked
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I reckon a second election mightn't be the SF landslide some suggest. There'll be a lot who didn't vote FF/FG last time out who might now to avoid a SF government. And as Hetfield said, a lot more of those that voted PBP, Labour, Green etc might go SF, so not a huge advantage there in getting to 80
This recent election was the lowest turnout out since 1923 aswell so another election will quiet possibly have a higher turnout. Awful weather Saturday evening they reckon might have stopped some older FF people coming out but i think the Saturday election backfired on Leo as the Irish electorate don’t really like change and are happy enough with a Thursday or Friday election.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 12 Feb 2020 at 10:08pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:25pm
My bet is on Ged  Nash.
AKA pedantic kunt
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:28pm
FF Jack Chambers is an angry young man.

O’Riordan (not an angry man) for Lab leader....Alan Kelly (can be quite angry) is a spoofer.

FF and FG will probably still retain their core vote, although Michael Martin (opposite of angry) has come out of this election looking worse than Leo (not angry), which was quite a difficult thing to do.

FF picked up the last seat in about 15 or 16 constituencies so there is a danger they could be squeezed further if the left vote increases.
FG picked up the last seat in about 7, Greens about 5, SF only one I think.

FF should ditch MM, FG know Leo probably won’t hang around too long anyway.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:22pm
snap election and short campaign worked for SF and they played it brilliantly - out of traps getting their housing message out and undermining FG FF at every opportunity all before they released their manifesto which didn’t get much scrutiny as media played up the Paul Quinn story. Instead of damaging SF, voting for SF became a binary question of whether the past mattered to the voter or not. Turns out it didn’t.

If there’s another election in 2020 they’ll be under more scrutiny. They may get more seats but at whose expense hard to know - independents but that won’t get them closer to a left coalition.

For anybody under 40 the other parties look ancient.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 200>
  Share Topic