You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 199>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

But surely Unionists aren’t a monolith? I would also suspect there are some hyper-Republicans, who would vote down a UI if it didn’t come with things like leaving the EU, which means in practice they would for most part rather the status quo, rather than what they see as a ‘half baked’ UI?

sorry I missed this. Of course unionists aren't a monolith, no more than republicans or the fabled "I'm Northern Irish, not Irish or British" folks up here. Of course there would be some unionists that could be swung away from their belief in the UK based on economic benefits or being a bigger part of a smaller pie so to speak. But again, I was more talking about people in the south bringing up "including unionists" as a core element of UI discussions, when these folks never (or rarely) engage with unionists themselves. It's just a phrase, it doesn't mean anything. A unionist majority will be fundamentally opposed to a UI, no more than a majority in Ireland would be fundamentally opposed to rejoining the UK. That doesn't mean we don't build a vision or discussion around what it could all look like, or throw any potential citizens' assembly plans away because no unionists will join the discussions. 

In relation to the polling, if 40% would vote for a UI today based on absolutely zero discussions around what it could look like, imagine what the percentage would be with some work and preparation done. But horsebox is right, the British government are talking out two sides of their mouths and it's worked very well for them overall. It's why the Tories are scolding the DUP for not going back to Stormont, if things got back to "making Northern Ireland work" as they all love to say, they could wave away talk around the criteria surrounding a referendum a lot easier. Regardless, they are staunch unionists themselves and no more than the DUP not helping shape what a United Ireland could look like, neither the Tories or Labour under the current leadership will ever lay out clear criteria for a referendum on this because it is not in their fundamental beliefs to do so. 
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's only realistic if the government cooperate. Mehole and Leo are not interested in having this discussion.

However, there are many in both FFG who are interested in having this discussion and driving this forward.

I do understand that how the likes of Martin and Varadkar behave will influence the opinion some people in the north will have but given the IPSOS poll in December had only 27% of people who said they would vote for a United Ireland, it seems unlikely that we are close to there being a poll any time soon. 

Correct.
Because the Brits are in complete control of this and we are completely powerless to the destiny of our own land.

Numerous people have asked the British government to outline the criteria for a border poll and they refuse to cooperate. 

Bertie signed away sovereignty of the 6 counties to appease Unionists as part of the GFA.

The British government will never give up the 6 counties based on principle. 

But that's all irrelevant really if people in the north don't want a united Ireland. You could have a poll tomorrow and "if" the estimates our right (and yes opinion polls can be wrong) you'd probably have, at best, a 40% result in favour of it.
Any discussion on the criteria of a poll would presumably need to be held in an environment of their being a likelihood of it passing which doesn't seem close at the moment. That's the point I was making above. 

If the people of NI DO want a UI. The relevance is that the British government simply will not cooperate no matter the opinion polls or people say.

I think NI or Scotland breaking away from the Union will weaken the UK.

I'm not just being contrary here but I think if we ever got to that stage then there is more than a fair chance a vote is called. Many people in the UK feel, for differing reasons, feel that the north should be part of a UI - Some because they think its the right thing to do, others because they don't care. 
And I think we've seen that the current governing party don't give 2 f**ks about the north - It was an after thought in the Brexit debate and they've repeatedly demonstrated that their Brexit is far more important that the north. Scotland is different given it's natural resources, whereas the north just costs them money.

They don't give two f**ks about the people, but they absolutely care about the integrity of their union. They are selfish, greedy bastards who have a very Westminster-centric view of the world, but in their world, the UK is one country. The little Englanders have had an effect for sure but I still think that unionist instinct runs too deep. 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:56am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

But surely Unionists aren’t a monolith? I would also suspect there are some hyper-Republicans, who would vote down a UI if it didn’t come with things like leaving the EU, which means in practice they would for most part rather the status quo, rather than what they see as a ‘half baked’ UI?

sorry I missed this. Of course unionists aren't a monolith, no more than republicans or the fabled "I'm Northern Irish, not Irish or British" folks up here. Of course there would be some unionists that could be swung away from their belief in the UK based on economic benefits or being a bigger part of a smaller pie so to speak. But again, I was more talking about people in the south bringing up "including unionists" as a core element of UI discussions, when these folks never (or rarely) engage with unionists themselves. It's just a phrase, it doesn't mean anything. A unionist majority will be fundamentally opposed to a UI, no more than a majority in Ireland would be fundamentally opposed to rejoining the UK. That doesn't mean we don't build a vision or discussion around what it could all look like, or throw any potential citizens' assembly plans away because no unionists will join the discussions. 

In relation to the polling, if 40% would vote for a UI today based on absolutely zero discussions around what it could look like, imagine what the percentage would be with some work and preparation done. But horsebox is right, the British government are talking out two sides of their mouths and it's worked very well for them overall. It's why the Tories are scolding the DUP for not going back to Stormont, if things got back to "making Northern Ireland work" as they all love to say, they could wave away talk around the criteria surrounding a referendum a lot easier. Regardless, they are staunch unionists themselves and no more than the DUP not helping shape what a United Ireland could look like, neither the Tories or Labour under the current leadership will ever lay out clear criteria for a referendum on this because it is not in their fundamental beliefs to do so. 

Just to clarify on this as it comes from my post previously - The polling has this figure at 27%. I was factoring in that if a vote happened tomorrow then some of the "Don't Knows" might well vote for it. 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:20am

Just to clarify on this as it comes from my post previously - The polling has this figure at 27%. I was factoring in that if a vote happened tomorrow then some of the "Don't Knows" might well vote for it. 

One poll does. Others are higher
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

One poll does. Others are higher

Was the IPSOS one I was referring to as that was the one I remember looking at and the only one I had seen which broke down opinions be religion.
Which other polls were there? Would be keen to have a look. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:43am

But that’s where the ‘shades of grey’ come into play. It doesn’t have to be all unionists, nor do most people argue that involving unionists mean EVER strand of unionist. Some unionists will see it as inevitable, and therefore in their interests to have voices heard. Equally, others will view it pragmatically and if it enhances their financial/personal situation, they will roll with it. There will also be the democratic unionist types (not DUP’ers), who will see it as the will of the people and as a result accept it as a Democrat of goodwill. That is the type of unionist likely to engage, and that will ultimately be sufficient, and it will be tough luck for those who decide to stick their fingers in their ears.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:53am
To be fair to the Brits, if the majority of MLAs and MPs were nationalist then they'd make some criteria. The majority if MLAs are the moment are not in favour of an All Ireland. 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

To be fair to the Brits, if the majority of MLAs and MPs were nationalist then they'd make some criteria. The majority if MLAs are the moment are not in favour of an All Ireland. 

There isn't a majority of MLAs designated as unionist either.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 2:41pm

My comment was based on the fact that the UK government have ignored all requests to outline the criteria for a border poll from multiple sources (not SF). 

The majority of people who have held the position of secretary of state are usually staunch Unionists themselves. So they or the PM will not want to be seen to be the one to drive forward the end of the Union.

They simply don't have to cooperate - they never really have to be honest.

You just need to look at our history with the UK, they have been fobbing us off for centuries, drip feeding us token gestures every now and again.

I just don't think they are willing to cooperate into the dismantlement of their own sovereign territory by a bunch of Paddies.

The one big mistake in the Good Friday deal was only allowing the Secretary of State for NI to call the referendum. It probably should’ve been a joint agreement or a set time like 30-40 year anniversary for the first one to get the ball rolling. Think Bertie just rushed the deal through thinking of his legacy but in reality a UI is as far away as ever and the British don’t have any more bombs to deal with it.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 27 Jan 2023 at 2:42pm
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

There isn't a majority of MLAs designated as unionist either.
That suits the current arrangement. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 2:57pm
Nobody knows how far away it is but it is a matter of when not if. When it happens, rest assured a British government will not be neutral-and it will not be leaning on the side of political unionism, a rapidly diminishing force with nothing positive to offer, only tribalism and paranoia. A lot of work is being done already on the options for making a United Ireland work and when serious campaigning begins, expect more light to be shone. And do not forget the importance of the so-called middle ground, the traditionally unaligned such as Alliance Party members and voters who have in recent years become more nationalist than unionist oriented. The British will depart this colony in due course as they have others. I would not bet on us beating the Scots to the departure gate but certainly there is more reason for them to try and retain Scotland.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

My comment was based on the fact that the UK government have ignored all requests to outline the criteria for a border poll from multiple sources (not SF). 

The majority of people who have held the position of secretary of state are usually staunch Unionists themselves. So they or the PM will not want to be seen to be the one to drive forward the end of the Union.

They simply don't have to cooperate - they never really have to be honest.

You just need to look at our history with the UK, they have been fobbing us off for centuries, drip feeding us token gestures every now and again.

I just don't think they are willing to cooperate into the dismantlement of their own sovereign territory by a bunch of Paddies.

The one big mistake in the Good Friday deal was only allowing the Secretary of State for NI to call the referendum. It probably should’ve been a joint agreement or a set time like 30-40 year anniversary for the first one to get the ball rolling. Think Bertie just rushed the deal through thinking of his legacy but in reality a UI is as far away as ever and the British don’t have any more bombs to deal with it.

There were lots of mistakes in the GFA to be honest. Handing over the rights to the 6 counties is another one.

The GFA is basically a legal document copperfastening British sovereignty over Northern Ireland, SF has zero input  into it, not a single word.
Which is why SF were accused of selling out and very little ex Republican prisoners supported the GFA. Some obviosly did as they were facing massive prison sentences and walked out free men.

The GFA is a massive win for Unionists.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:14pm
somewhat true but a ui is now legally possible as a result of the gfa, before the gfa a ui was only possible through force
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:19pm
How is it legally possible? 

The Brits have not set out the criteria. Which allows them to move the goals ports accordingly.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:35pm
Simple majority vote wins it. No agreed mechanism in place before the GFA. No criteria published for holding the border poll but realistically it will happen when it looks likely there’ll be a clear majority for unity.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Simple majority vote wins it. No agreed mechanism in place before the GFA. No criteria published for holding the border poll but realistically it will happen when it looks likely there’ll be a clear majority for unity.

That's what the GFA says. The reality of it is that there would probably need to be a majority of MLAs from parties who would advocate a UI and would also need to be consistent polling in favour of a UI for it to happen. 
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 8:01pm
I agree with the earlier comments about the framework for a ui being quietly put in place as we speak. All thats really needed to win the majority of unionists over is money. If the uk continues to defecate in its own mouth a ui might suddenly happen a lot sooner than expected. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 8:41am

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

That's what the GFA says. The reality of it is that there would probably need to be a majority of MLAs from parties who would advocate a UI and would also need to be consistent polling in favour of a UI for it to happen. 
It also needs to pass a referendum in the south to happen too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 199>
  Share Topic