You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 199>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Bacik wins because of FF & FG making a bollox of their choices firstly & their campaign secondly. 
It’s not such a big victory for Labour in this context, it’s definitely labour swing IMO 

Its a comprehensive win though. I also think there is an argument about whether FG were ever going to win the seat, considering the focus of the election, and the nature of the candidates. Labour have been losing seats and votes hand over fist for a long time, and it has taken in two local elections and two generals. Winning a by-election, with the number of votes received is a big achievement, in my book, considering what has unfolded over the past decade.
They’ll no doubt be delighted with the win but I don’t think it’s going signal a National resurgence for labour. I think this is more a win for Bacik personally as opposed to the Labour Party
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 2:40pm
Yeah also if FG had run Kate O'Connell instead of yer man I'd imagine they would have come out on top. Pretty surprising final result though - although in Bacik's case as the old saying goes: If at first you don't succeed - try, try, try, try and try some more. You'll eventually wear the electorate down.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 2:54pm
I'm not entirely sure that KOC would have won. If the Greens had selected Hazel Chu I think it would have redrawn the ultimate results a little further, and made it a highly interesting race to watch.

What is often forgotten about KOC is that in spite of her national and media profile, and her willingness to point out her own party (and by extension) the government, when she saw it as necessary, she still lost out to Eoghan Murphy. This was at a point when the Government was unpopular, and intuitively she would have won the single seat available for FG. Much of the criticism in public, of the decision surrounding selection by FG, seemed to come from opposition and independent voices, who would have not have given KOC a first preference vote when the time came. At best it would have been a transfer but inevitably behind several other candidates, to the point where it would have been performative.

I take 9fingers point about Bacik and a personal vote, and I think given the unpopularity of the Government, and the relative lack of interest in voting for SF in the area, it offered a great potential to Labour.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 3:09pm
I wouldn't be reading too much into the by-election results. History shows us that by-elections are usually won with the person with the biggest name recognition, rather than by party. With a full general election there's more debate and people voting on party policies. Don't think anyone would think this results means that Labour are gonna do any better next time out.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 3:51pm
Totally agree that by-elections can mislead a bit. But this still puts Labour back under the table there.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 4:54pm
I think a big majority in the country are disillusioned with this government. A lot of voters would have gone with the strongest nongovernment candidate. I’d imagine you’d see similar throughout the country if there was a general election tomorrow. People want change. Labour look the winners here but I’d say SF will pick up loads of seats nationally if the national mood is the same come the next general election. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 4:57pm
There was never going to be two seats for SF in that constituency. Lynn Boylan will win a seat in Dublin South West next time out.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 09 Jul 2021 at 4:58pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 1:34pm
Looks like McSharry is launching a coup to oust MM. 
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:26pm

The only way FF can survive is if they go populist. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Populist is such a nonsense term, especially in this respect LOL FF flat out being unpopulist is there issue alright 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 1:08am

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 12 Jul 2021 at 1:14am
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Found the first half extremely boring
England got an early goal and continued with 7 men in their own box for the rest of the half crowding out the Italians 

Second half it totally changed, didn’t think Italy were that good but England just sat back and invited pressure and in the end they got the equalizer 

For all this sympathy towards Saka, surely England the well oiled machine specializing in stats etc would have had their 5 penalty takers picked before 10.30 tonight 
It explains why Sancho and Rashford were brought on in the 129th minute 

Overall I found it quality wise a very poor game but intriguing to the end. I think Southgate was exposed tonight as tactically naive 
What has that got to do with Irish politics?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 1:15am
wrong thread 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

wrong thread 
Thought as much

LOLLOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

I think there are shoots of that already, but they face a couple of difficulties. 

First, the Shinners have claimed populism. Their last manifesto was riddled with populist sentiment (not least the FF-esque low tax-high spend mantra), and they also cloak it in nationalism (which is the height of populism)

Second, they also have to compete with the Rural Independent group that have a large contingent in the Dail, and on Councils around the country. Not only do a few of these independents have history with FF, they can do populism better than FF.

Third, the relationship between FF and FG is now such that what divides them is even less obvious than it was before, and that means the days of staunch voters on either side are ebbing away.

A feature of the by-election was also the battle between FG and SF. There seems to be some sort of concensus that this is just a taste of what is to come, as a new binary creates itself. That binary will exclude FF.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 7:24pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 10:07am

It’s weird how that this thread doesn’t get much traffic. We love nosing at the UK and commenting on their situation. Strange when we have plenty of scandal/ stories going on locally. 

Did anyone watch the debate between O’Broin and O’Brien last night? Is the consensus that it was a bit of a non event?
El Puto Amo
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 11:04am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

It’s weird how that this thread doesn’t get much traffic. We love nosing at the UK and commenting on their situation. Strange when we have plenty of scandal/ stories going on locally. 

Did anyone watch the debate between O’Broin and O’Brien last night? Is the consensus that it was a bit of a non event?
Yeah both seemed fairly poor. I'd like Sinn Fein's housing policy to stack up but it really doesn't seem credible.

I don't know how you can build a house in dublin for 230k or less. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 199>
  Share Topic