You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 199>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:38am
On a side note, the Greens were always going to be getting it from all angles once they went into Government. The watermelon parties are trying to use the green space to bring in their real agenda, and they are running scared that the Greens will achieve something and knock them on their head. On the other hand the far right  manifests itself in an almost irrational hatred of the Greens and what Green politics stands for. They have hardly started and I find them subject to almost daily criticism, and most of it is pretty unjustified.

That being said, the optics of Ryan's snooze aren't good, and are likely to provoke a response. But, its not major story.

Edited by Het-field - 17 Jul 2020 at 9:40am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:44am
Wonder what odds you'd get on Tony Holohan being the next President. I reckon he'd have a decent shot at it, possibly even unopposed if the 3 parties in Government decided to back him
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:07am
get on to PaddyPower there and ask.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Wonder what odds you'd get on Tony Holohan being the next President. I reckon he'd have a decent shot at it, possibly even unopposed if the 3 parties in Government decided to back him
22/1

My friend put on a bet for my son on his christening for Holohan next President 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:23am
I suppose it all comes back to whether he has any interest in the role. It should be five years+ until we go to the polls, and given the partisan nature of politics, I wouldn't rule out a split between a few old leaders who have been out of the limelight for some time.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:44am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

my post has nothing to do with looney fascists ffs, the f**ker was asleep during a Dail vote on low paid workers , and their right to a living wage.
Tired? He’s a government minister the very least he should be is working hard that’s why the pay and pension are so good.
I’ve been called a lot of things did but far right?Shocked

I didn't call you far right. 

I said the narrative you ran with plays into the hands of the far right. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:45am
See "Official Ireland" comes in behind Ryan to defend him.

Imagine if someone like Mary Lou, Gino Kenny, Mattie McGrath or one of the Healy Raes were spotted falling asleep. I'm sure the same messages of support would come in for them too.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

my post has nothing to do with looney fascists ffs, the f**ker was asleep during a Dail vote on low paid workers , and their right to a living wage.
Tired? He’s a government minister the very least he should be is working hard that’s why the pay and pension are so good.
I’ve been called a lot of things did but far right?Shocked

I didn't call you far right. 

I said the narrative you ran with plays into the hands of the far right. 

Fair enough, I do tend towards a rant.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Imagine if someone like Mary Lou, Gino Kenny, Mattie McGrath or one of the Healy Raes were spotted falling asleep. I'm sure the same messages of support would come in for them too.
The Healy Raes would be left to snooze...LOL
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 11:08am
mattie fell asleep after him 😂
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

See again, this is the sort of narrative I'm talking about that leads to mass cynicism. 

You say the Greens are a beneficiary of so called "Official Ireland" - yet we've had a mendacious campaign by the far right to demonise and destroy a prominent Green Party TD by falsely branding him a "paedophile" over the last few weeks -  and like in America with these loony far right conspiracy theories, the media have actually entertained it and given it legs.

Doesn't sound like the Greens are benefitting from "Official Ireland" much.

Oh, and I voted number 3 for Gino Kenny - he was in my constituency - and my transfer helped get him elected.

Funny enough I haven't heard much bout the way Ryan actually voted. Criticise that all yis want. Examine the pros and cons of the actual issue he voted on. But people don't do that. They're more interested in stupid viral clips and constructing narratives which feed into mass cyncism which benefits the far right.

Mattie McGrath and the Healy Raes are made by the amount of media coverage they get. They use the exact same strategy as demagogues use the world over - they cultivate bonkers personalities for public consumption because they know the media will lap it up and constantly give them coverage when they say bonkers things. Then you get eejits calling them things like "authentic", when in reality, they're the most inauthentic and cynical bastards in all of Irish politics - they have no intention of ever having any real responsibility, but they're happy to rack up expenses - it's these types of "populist" rural TDs who always rack up the highest expenses. People talk about "career politicians" - politics as a career, if you're in it for the right reasons is as valid and more valid a career as any other - but the Healy Raes, Mattie McGrath, Noel Grealish etc are the worst type of career politicians, because they have worked out that they have a job for life with no responsibility if they act a certain way in public and say certain incendiary things and play the identity politics game - they essentially play gullible voters for fools.

Yet when people talk about "career politicians", they never, ever talk about the Healy Raes or McGrath or Grealish.

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Jul 2020 at 11:21am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 12:56pm
In fairness, there has been plenty of comment about the debate and vote last night, which was ongoing when Ryan was being photographed. Its mainly a slew of disingenuous comments about voting against workers rights and a living wage, when even a cursory look at the debate would show the motion being framed in such a way as to take into account the Programme for Government's intentions, which includes a living wage, and the decision to appeal the recent decision in the Supreme Court. Of course, this has been a great stick to beat the Greens with, but when you look into the debate, it shows that this was not a vote against a living wage, but a vote in line with the PFG, and the intention to bring a living  wage to fruition.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 1:24pm
Eamon Ryan and other ministers kept telling us after the government was formed we want to serve our country and we’ve a job of work to do and we need to get on with it now. Well part of that job is to be awake for votes not sleeping on the job.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 17 Jul 2020 at 1:25pm
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Read the first post and thought it nuts but the follow up explanation does have logic to it.
Likewise. Easy enough to dismiss him as overreacting or whatever but he made his point well and it's hard to argue with any of what he said really.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 3:35pm
Maybe he had a few pints and fell asleep.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Eamon Ryan and other ministers kept telling us after the government was formed we want to serve our country and we’ve a job of work to do and we need to get on with it now. Well part of that job is to be awake for votes not sleeping on the job.
Right. Eamon Ryan shouldn't have fallen asleep. We know that. But humans get tired when they have an extremely heavy workload. Do you understand this? 

Your post above is pure cynical rhetoric based on nothing other than a human physical failing. It's Twittershoutingspeak. There's no argument or actual point there. And thus there's no way you can argue with it. What you've done is to construct a fake narrative which says "Eamon Ryan said he'd serve the country - he was spotted asleep in the parliament - therefore he's a liar who has no intention of serving the country and is only in politics for the money and the naps!" You can't argue with that rhetoric because it's not rational, it's designed only to whip up mass cynicism. 

Mattie McGrath also fell asleep. And he doesn't have the same workload Eamon Ryan has. Funny how you haven't mentioned that.

&quot;I most definitely was not asleep,&quot; insists Tipperary TD Deputy Mattie McGrath
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 6:19am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Right. Eamon Ryan shouldn't have fallen asleep. We know that. But humans get tired when they have an extremely heavy workload. Do you understand this? 

Your post above is pure cynical rhetoric based on nothing other than a human physical failing. It's Twittershoutingspeak. There's no argument or actual point there. And thus there's no way you can argue with it. What you've done is to construct a fake narrative which says "Eamon Ryan said he'd serve the country - he was spotted asleep in the parliament - therefore he's a liar who has no intention of serving the country and is only in politics for the money and the naps!" You can't argue with that rhetoric because it's not rational, it's designed only to whip up mass cynicism. 

Mattie McGrath also fell asleep. And he doesn't have the same workload Eamon Ryan has. Funny how you haven't mentioned that.

&amp;amp;quot;I most definitely was not asleep,&amp;amp;quot; insists Tipperary TD Deputy Mattie McGrath
You keep believing Eamon Ryan has a huge workload! As for not mentioning Mattie McGrath maybe you should ask the Sarah McInerney show on RTE radio or the Matt Cooper show on Today FM why they didn’t mention him either! Maybe everyone focused on Eamon Ryan as he’s the one who put his hands up to go into government and now that he’s in government and has the perks of office he’s quiet happy to fall asleep on the job! An ineffective minister end of story.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 18 Jul 2020 at 6:20am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:25am

Maybe everyone focused on Eamon Ryan as he’s the one who put his hands up to go into government and now that he’s in government and has the perks of office he’s quiet happy to fall asleep on the job! An ineffective minister end of story.
"INEFFECTIVE MINISTER!!!!"

"All politicians are only in politics for the money!

"They're only in it for the perks!"

"They're dirty snouts at the trough!"

"Let's the EXCELLENT Verona Murphy and Peter Casey and Justin Barrett and Gemtrails"

"A new broom, CHANGJ!!!!!"

END OF, mate, yeah, END OF.

Did I say "END OF!"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 199>
  Share Topic