You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 193>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Listening to Sinn Feins spokeswoman on expenditure and reform would really fill you with confidence on them. Fook sake. Laughable
That the girl who was on Prime Time with Coveney last night. He wasn't long making a fool of her LOL

Ya. Great at asking questions but not too good at answering the ones Pat threw at her. Mumbling her way thru. We have no record of that invoice LOL
Sure that's the Sinn Fein way. They're always offended until they start getting questioned on similar issues themselves.

YBIG NPF founder and CEO
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:58pm
You Free-staters deserve a FFG leadership.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:01pm
LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You Free-staters deserve a FFG leadership.

LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:20pm
LOL
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Has to be said, successive governments, RTE and associated media have done an amazing job at brainwashing people into being so scared of Sinn Fein that that’s their retort whenever a FFG politician gets caught red-handed.
SF are all smoke and mirrors, I'm glad we've media calling out their Fake News and not giving them a carte blanche to spin their stories.

They're actors playing up to the working class and the media are right to call them out on it. Mary Lou McDonald from Rathgar went to private school in leafy South Dublin, Eoin O Broin went to Blackrock College, Richard Boyd Barrett (PBP, not Sinn Fein) went to St.Michaels, they're all trying to play the Working Class Hero Act because they know it gets votes. It's no different to Trump in the States or Boris in UK, rich people pretending to be the peoples hero to get elected.

I'm glad we have a media calling them out for who they really are and not letting them away with propaganda

You could say that every politician is smoke and mirrors in fairness. 

I really don’t understand the issue with wanting accountability for the actions of our elected representatives. It has nothing to do with that party they represent. Politicians have gotten away with it for far too long.

I don’t recall many posters on here saying that SF will solve our big societal issues but it’s plain as say that FFG won’t solve them. They created the issues FFS. So if 2 out of 3 of the big parties have actively created the issues, why wouldn’t people vote for the ones who’ve never been in power.

And SF may end up being more of the same, but unless political parties feel threatened enough that they could lose powers, nothing will change.
Yeah that's my angle for voting for them anyway, see if they really do have some magic beans or can be any less sh*t than the current government. It was the same reason the country voted for FG 10 years ago tho so I'm not holding out much hope. It's worth a shot anyway tho
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 5:27pm

Has to be said, successive governments, RTE and associated media have done an amazing job at brainwashing people into being so scared of Sinn Fein that that’s their retort whenever a FFG politician gets caught red-handed.
SF are all smoke and mirrors, I'm glad we've media calling out their Fake News and not giving them a carte blanche to spin their stories.

They're actors playing up to the working class and the media are right to call them out on it. Mary Lou McDonald from Rathgar went to private school in leafy South Dublin, Eoin O Broin went to Blackrock College, Richard Boyd Barrett (PBP, not Sinn Fein) went to St.Michaels, they're all trying to play the Working Class Hero Act because they know it gets votes. It's no different to Trump in the States or Boris in UK, rich people pretending to be the peoples hero to get elected.

I'm glad we have a media calling them out for who they really are and not letting them away with propaganda

I really don’t understand the issue with wanting accountability for the actions of our elected representatives. It has nothing to do with that party they represent. Politicians have gotten away with it for far too long.

I don’t recall many posters on here saying that SF will solve our big societal issues but it’s plain as say that FFG won’t solve them. They created the issues FFS. So if 2 out of 3 of the big parties have actively created the issues, why wouldn’t people vote for the ones who’ve never been in power.

And SF may end up being more of the same, but unless political parties feel threatened enough that they could lose powers, nothing will change.
Yeah that's my angle for voting for them anyway, see if they really do have some magic beans or can be any less sh*t than the current government. It was the same reason the country voted for FG 10 years ago tho so I'm not holding out much hope. It's worth a shot anyway tho

I do get this but at the same time if there was a political party were aligned with your values would you not consider voting for them? If people only voted on the basis of wanting to get the existing lot on then smaller parties would rarely have a chance to grow. (This point is a general point and not specific to any party)
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I do get this but at the same time if there was a political party were aligned with your values would you not consider voting for them? If people only voted on the basis of wanting to get the existing lot on then smaller parties would rarely have a chance to grow. (This point is a general point and not specific to any party)
Yeahmy wife kills me for this, but I usually end up voting for the politician in my area that I think will do the best job. I realise that's the wrong way to do it at a national level, but ends up being the way I go usually. When I lived in Cork I knew Jonathan O'Brien (Sinn Fein) so voted for him, where I live currently in Dublin I've got to know Aodhan O Riordan (Labour) so voted for him last time. Proper mixed bag.

I'm a little skeptical to be honest that there's all that much between the parties when they're in power. None of them do anything drastic. We all know FG/FF have become very similar, Greens in power but it's not like we're all driving Electric Cars. SF I know have an idea of super taxes for the rich (won't affect me much), and more welfare for those that need it (again won't affect me). I'm not too sure life will be much different whoever is in power. There's a world of difference between manifestos and what any party actually do.
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:59pm
Sinn fein are busy up north, ff and fg have no experience of dealing with unionists in comparison. Whether you like it or not, dealing with angry unionists is something we are all going to deal with a lot more over the next ten years
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Sinn fein are busy up north, ff and fg have no experience of dealing with unionists in comparison. Whether you like it or not, dealing with angry unionists is something we are all going to deal with a lot more over the next ten years

A lot of FG would be Unionists.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:40am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I agree but I would consider fg to be more west britty than unionist
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:54am

Grown men using the term 'west brit' unironically Dead
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:05am

Every party that has governed in the last 30 years has dealt with Unionists. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:26am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Grown men using the term 'west brit' unironically Dead
Usually I’d agree but there’s no better term for John Bruton & I doubt he’s a massive outlier 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:50am
What exactly is wrong with using the term west brit? 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Every party that has governed in the last 30 years has dealt with Unionists. 

minor dealings in comparison to sf in the north. Also the union was safe-ish until the brexit vote, now it has never been weaker
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:05am

What exactly is wrong with using the term west brit? 

Apart from the fact it’s childish, it has begun to become much more political than a passing jeer  at somebody who speaks in ‘posher’ tones, or is seen as ‘upper class’. Terms like that have become much more loaded.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:08am
True observation above about the union and the Brexit effect. The demographics following last year’s census are inexorable. SF most popular party north and south, they could have a Taoiseach as well as a First Minister in the foreseeable future. Re “angry unionists”-what other sort is there? Apart from fearful ones, of course.

Edited by Green Cockade - 26 Jan 2023 at 10:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 193>
  Share Topic