You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 193>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 12:19am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ya they brainwashed us all. Were all so gullible.
clearly worked on you anyway
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 4:00am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I am as sick as anyone of the FFG hegemony but I would expect SF to have plenty skeletons in the closet like this, there's no doubt it will all come out whenever they take power as there are plenty within media who will be only too happy to do the investigative journalism required that has been missing too often. 

How SF respond to anything like this will really dictate how they come across in terms of being a legitimate alternative. 

Wouldn’t disagree with that. I think people seem to think that just because it’s FFG politicians being scrutinized at that moment, those who won’t vote for them will give SF politicians a pass when, let’s be real, similar scandals emerge about members of their party. 

As you said, all elected representatives should be held to the highest standards and if you fail to meet those standards, you should be removed from office and have your benefits taken away. 

I see Donohoe failed to declare directorship of a company. But I’m fairness, he forgot. And it was only twice that he failed to declare it. Not like it was 11 properties or anything. Sure isn’t he a great fella.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 7:18am
no politician from any party or independent should keep their dail seat, or any pension payments , if they are not totally above board. That means NO grubbing around for extra earnings . They’re paid well and collect a more than liveable pension, sometimes two if they’ve been a minister, to have ANY outside business. They’re elected by us to run the f**king country properly, that has to be their only focus until they retire. And if they get caught being greedy and dishonest then they have to go without any benefit paid from my and your taxes.If anyone thinks this Dail is behaving properly then they’re either very naive, a member of a party , or an idiot.
No Pasaran!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 8:56am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Has to be said, successive governments, RTE and associated media have done an amazing job at brainwashing people into being so scared of Sinn Fein that that’s their retort whenever a FFG politician gets caught red-handed.
SF are all smoke and mirrors, I'm glad we've media calling out their Fake News and not giving them a carte blanche to spin their stories.

They're actors playing up to the working class and the media are right to call them out on it. Mary Lou McDonald from Rathgar went to private school in leafy South Dublin, Eoin O Broin went to Blackrock College, Richard Boyd Barrett (PBP, not Sinn Fein) went to St.Michaels, they're all trying to play the Working Class Hero Act because they know it gets votes. It's no different to Trump in the States or Boris in UK, rich people pretending to be the peoples hero to get elected.

I'm glad we have a media calling them out for who they really are and not letting them away with propaganda
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 8:58am
Some FG'er is a little upset LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 9:17am
The school that you go to does not determine what side of politics that you aline to.
Chips don't bounce
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Has to be said, successive governments, RTE and associated media have done an amazing job at brainwashing people into being so scared of Sinn Fein that that’s their retort whenever a FFG politician gets caught red-handed.
SF are all smoke and mirrors, I'm glad we've media calling out their Fake News and not giving them a carte blanche to spin their stories.

They're actors playing up to the working class and the media are right to call them out on it. Mary Lou McDonald from Rathgar went to private school in leafy South Dublin, Eoin O Broin went to Blackrock College, Richard Boyd Barrett (PBP, not Sinn Fein) went to St.Michaels, they're all trying to play the Working Class Hero Act because they know it gets votes. It's no different to Trump in the States or Boris in UK, rich people pretending to be the peoples hero to get elected.

I'm glad we have a media calling them out for who they really are and not letting them away with propaganda

jesus Confused
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 9:59am
Trump & the Tories (and Leo for that matter) sole mantra is to protect the rich, whether that’s by blaming immigrants, blaming welfare users, or simply just getting the working classes to blame each other. 
We are where we are in this country exactly because of FF & FG policies on this. And SF massive rise isn’t through populism it’s through people being absolutely sick to death of the failings of FFG, people who’ve never voted SF, myself included, are so put off by the self serving nature of FG that change (of government) is a strong possibility for the first time in the states history 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:18am
Listening to Sinn Feins spokeswoman on expenditure and reform would really fill you with confidence on them. Fook sake. Laughable
I love beer gardens
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:34am

Listening to Sinn Feins spokeswoman on expenditure and reform would really fill you with confidence on them. Fook sake. Laughable
That the girl who was on Prime Time with Coveney last night? He wasn't long making a fool of her LOL

Edited by ShamtheRam - 25 Jan 2023 at 2:36pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:44am
The dilemma for many people is if they want FFG out of office then they have to vote SF. When it really comes down to the privacy of the election booth, will it be a case of better the devil you know ? 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The dilemma for many people is if they want FFG out of office then they have to vote SF. When it really comes down to the privacy of the election booth, will it be a case of better the devil you know ? 

Surely that's the wrong way to be looking at things in a PR system?
It's definitely the case in the UK with the first past the post system but sure with PR there is more scope for the voices of smaller parties to be heard.

Edited by Borussia - 25 Jan 2023 at 11:51am
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

That the girl who was on Prime Time with Coveney last night. He wasn't long making a fool of her LOL

Ya. Great at asking questions but not too good at answering the ones Pat threw at her. Mumbling her way thru. We have no record of that invoice LOL
I love beer gardens
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Surely that's the wrong way to be looking at things in a PR system?
It's definitely the case in the UK with the first past the post system but sure with PR there is more scope for the voices of smaller parties to be heard.

Ideally yes,  but there are so many constituencies where voting for smaller parties who will never get elected is tantamount to keeping the status quo. Personally speaking I never give an X to more than 2 candidates and I know that neither will ever elected due to the make-up of the constituency I live in. So if I want to kick the govt out I am compelled to vote for an opposition party candidate who has a chance of being elected. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

You could say that every politician is smoke and mirrors in fairness. 

I really don’t understand the issue with wanting accountability for the actions of our elected representatives. It has nothing to do with that party they represent. Politicians have gotten away with it for far too long.

I don’t recall many posters on here saying that SF will solve our big societal issues but it’s plain as say that FFG won’t solve them. They created the issues FFS. So if 2 out of 3 of the big parties have actively created the issues, why wouldn’t people vote for the ones who’ve never been in power.

And SF may end up being more of the same, but unless political parties feel threatened enough that they could lose powers, nothing will change.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:19pm

I don’t recall many posters on here saying that SF will solve our big societal issues but it’s plain as say that FFG won’t solve them. They created the issues FFS. So if 2 out of 3 of the big parties have actively created the issues, why wouldn’t people vote for the ones who’ve never been in power.

And SF may end up being more of the same, but unless political parties feel threatened enough that they could lose powers, nothing will change.

In fact, I’d say SF sympathetic posters here often dodge engaging in policy debate or actual examination of whether the policy is a good idea or whether it can be put into practice. It’s worth looking at this thread during the 2020 election.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

The school that you go to does not determine what side of politics that you aline to.

But it does align with a sh*t education 
It would damage this forums' reputation
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

But it does align with a sh*t education 

LOL yes it can 
Chips don't bounce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 193>
  Share Topic